Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will software update happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most updates are rolled our randomly in a pattern that you can't predict. You will not get every update, and you usually get an update every 6-8 weeks. That said, you are on an older release than the oldest common one at the moment (2018.50.x) so yours should have a release staged pretty soon. Connecting to wifi tends to speed up your release but still won't give you any more releases than you would have gotten over whatever your mobile network is.

Most updates are rolled our randomly in a pattern that you can't predict. You will not get every update, and you usually get an update every 6-8 weeks. That said, you are on an older release than the oldest common one at the moment (2018.50.x) so yours should have a release staged pretty soon. Connecting to wifi tends to speed up your release but still won't give you any more releases than you would have gotten over whatever your mobile network is.

True, but NOT connecting to wifi means you will only get what is deemed "critical" updates by tesla. Now, which ones are critical, and thus come over cellular data, and which are not which require wifi? Thats the question. Connecting to wifi removes that question so OP connect your car to your home wifi if at all possible.

Reactions: preilly44
I don’t have Wi-Fi where I park. If I am up for a software upgrade, would I get a notice in the app? I would then drive over to my Tesla SC and hook up to their Wi-Fi.

Nope, you will only get critical updates over cellular (and the app will not notify you until the car has actually downloaded it and is ready to apply to the car.

True, but NOT connecting to wifi means you will only get what is deemed "critical" updates by tesla. Now, which ones are critical, and thus come over cellular data, and which are not which require wifi? Thats the question. Connecting to wifi removes that question so OP connect your car to your home wifi if at all possible.
Where did you get evidence that getting it over cellular is reserved to critical updates only? A friend never has his on wifi and receives updates about as often as I do and my car is on wifi almost 24/7 (though both of us have Ss and not 3s.) The only thing NOT rolled out over cellular are map updates.

Last edited:
I don’t have Wi-Fi where I park. If I am up for a software upgrade, would I get a notice in the app? I would then drive over to my Tesla SC and hook up to their Wi-Fi.

I don't yet own a Tesla (I ordered a week ago), but I don't see why you couldn't use the free WiFi offered by public libraries, coffee shops, etc. For that matter, you could set up your cell phone as a WiFi hot-spot and use it -- but then the downloads would count toward your cell phone's data limits, so you'd almost certainly want to shut off the hot-spot feature and/or tell the Tesla to forget that WiFi site once the download completed.

Where did you get evidence that getting it over cellular is reserved to critical updates only? A friend never has his on wifi and receives updates about as often as I do and my car is on wifi almost 24/7 (though both of us have Ss and not 3s.) The only thing NOT rolled out over cellular are map updates.

If one clicks the link that @OCR1 linked to, which is official tesla information, they will find this quote:

======================================

Will cars with Standard Connectivity still receive over-the-air software updates?
Yes. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive software updates. Tesla owners will simply need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to receive the updates. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.

Translation, yes everyone gets free software updates, over wifi. Critical updates (important safety updates) will continue to be available over cellular. So, regular software updates will not come over cellular for model 3 owners that have "premium connectivity" per the information from tesla.

I don't yet own a Tesla (I ordered a week ago), but I don't see why you couldn't use the free WiFi offered by public libraries, coffee shops, etc. For that matter, you could set up your cell phone as a WiFi hot-spot and use it -- but then the downloads would count toward your cell phone's data limits, so you'd almost certainly want to shut off the hot-spot feature and/or tell the Tesla to forget that WiFi site once the download completed.

Problem with that is, you cant currently "request" an update. the car will get it when it gets it. You could sit on free wifi for a while and not know when the car would want to pull an update. Until tesla allows us to push a button and have the car request an update, sitting on free wifi or a hotspot is not a real great solution. Like some have said, wifi at a service center may trigger it.

According to the FAQ, the emergency updates only via cellular is a limitation for the SR/SR+ models specifically. OP has a LR model so this should not be applicable.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

I have a performance model and still remember seeing the information located at that link. "premium connectivity" was when tesla stopped giving away connectivity for the car. Mine comes with 1 year free of premium connectivity, but that link still says you have to be on wifi except for critical updates.

If one clicks the link that @OCR1 linked to, which is official tesla information, they will find this quote:

Will cars with Standard Connectivity still receive over-the-air software updates?
Yes. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive software updates. Tesla owners will simply need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to receive the updates. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.

Translation, yes everyone gets free software updates, over wifi. Critical updates (important safety updates) will continue to be available over cellular. So, regular software updates will not come over cellular for model 3 owners that have "premium connectivity" per the information from tesla.
You're right, but that's only for vehicles with standard connectivity.

Really appreciating all the info, thanks! “Cirrus” is showing that she has a good WiFi connection since yesterday morning. No update yet.

Since you are on 49X and on wifi you should get it in the next few days.
You're right, but that's only for vehicles with standard connectivity.

Hmm ok.. I really remember reading that same statement I linked to when I got my car, and "standard connectivity" did not exist. They could have changed it however.

Connect to wifi and it should update in the next few days. If it doesn't, I would take it to service and say they didn't update it when you picked it up for delivery.
I wanted the latest firmware on my car before I picked it up 2 weeks ago. It wasn’t there, nor was AP which I ordered. Delivery guy said 4 weeks and I might get the update. Took the car home plugged it in and connected to my WiFi and the update came down immediately.