Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Tesla offer in-car review of Sentry Cam footage?

When will Tesla offer in-car review of Sentry Cam footage?

• less than 3months

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • less than 6months

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • 2+ years

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • never

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, gee, why hadn't I thought of something like that.... I mean, it sure is convenient to hop in the car, see that sentry has been triggered, carefully turn off the USB recording from the touch screen, pull apart the console to get to the USB ports... pull out the tiny flash drive with my big fat fingers, plug it into another device, open an app and then look for the footage.

Then fumble to plug the drive back in, put the console back together, then turn recording back on. Meanwhile people wonder why I've been sitting in my car futzing around for 15 minutes.

Clearly I'm an idiot!

I don't think lolder was stating that having the app is negates the potential utility of being able to view the sentry cam footage on the vehicle console, I think lolder was just responding directly to "overpriced and flaky mobile device apps", stating that the android app, at least, is neither overpriced nor flaky. I'm not sure what options exist on any other leading mobile platforms.

FWIW - I primarily built this web app to temporarily fill that gap of needing to view Sentry videos. True, it is still a pain that I have to unmount the USB drive and insert it into the adaptor cable on my phone to view the events. At least I can do it in the car if needed.

With this being a browser app - it actually does load in the Tesla in-car browser - but doesn't have access to the USB drive. :(

In meantime, I'll continue using the web app (whether on my phone/laptop/desktop) to review videos. TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

I'm sure this functionality is somewhere on Tesla's roadmap. Over 25,000 users have hit the site with several thousand using it on a regular basis. That should indicate the need for this feature.

Last edited:
The TeslaCam is still in an earlier stage.
The most important feature that I would like is to get the rear view recording.

In the meantime, I would recommend getting a real dashcam with HD quality recording
so you can read a license plate, and have front and rear recording.
I can also access the content of my dashcam and get lifetime display using WiFi.

Note: When Senty is active, the 12 V auxiliary plug stay active,
so you can have also your dash cam recording at the same time.

The Sentry mode alert feature is then very practical to get informed of any issues occuring while parking,
so you can then check both the TeslaCam and your own dash cam.

However, if you want to have the TeslaCam saving an event occuring while driving,
you need to press on the Senty icon on the top of the car brower display.

(but wait for a minute before doing so the video will not be corrupted by stopping the recording to save it)

Yes, gee, why hadn't I thought of something like that.... I mean, it sure is convenient to hop in the car, see that sentry has been triggered, carefully turn off the USB recording from the touch screen, pull apart the console to get to the USB ports... pull out the tiny flash drive with my big fat fingers, plug it into another device, open an app and then look for the footage.

Then fumble to plug the drive back in, put the console back together, then turn recording back on. Meanwhile people wonder why I've been sitting in my car futzing around for 15 minutes.

Clearly I'm an idiot!
I was responding to your "overpriced" and "flaky" comments which are untrue.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
I was responding to your "overpriced" and "flaky" comments which are untrue.

The iOS app IS overpriced and very flakey. I can't comment on the quality or utility of an Android app but regardless of it being priced fairly and not being flakey it is a massive inconvenience to have to eject a USB drive, connect it to a mobile device, review footage and then reconnect the device to the vehicle when the car already has the ability to review the footage natively.

What's IOS, Apple? Apple stuff is always overpriced. The android app is FREE and takes only a minute to hook up. Tesla may worry playing video from a USB port even in "P" may be too easy to hack to play in "D". If you stream the upcoming Netflix or YouTube that will come through Tesla servers where they have more control.