Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will the MY2020 Model 3's start showing up? Best to wait? P3D-?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah thanks! I suppose you would know as you are insuring your P3D-.

@tomas - Best to check with your insurance company. Get a VIN off of a stealth, any stealth, then give that vin to your agent and ask what the premium would be for that vin (as an example). You can do the same for a LR AWD, if need be. You agent will tell you what the premium would be for a car like the vin(s) you gave them. Then you can decide with facts and not forum conjecture. This is what I did as some told me my premium will double, and it did not. For me, the premium was $139 more for the M3 than the 2018 Subaru 3.6R Outback limited it replaced. I insure with Allstate. YMMV :)

False. They will absolutely insure it as a performance car, and I received this email from my insurance company when I added it to my policy.

Hi Mr. ************,

We spoke on the 30th about adding the 2019 Tesla to your auto policy. There was an issue with the VIN validating due to the newness of the car. Our validation team wanted to confirm one thing – Is this a Tesla MODEL 3 AWD or a Tesla MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE AWD?

Once I have that confirmed, I’ll be able to give you a call and complete the quote.

Thank you!

I think they (you insurer) may have meant Performance AWD M3P+, with performance brakes and suspension. Yes, I was asked that too and that's what they told me at the time. Again, insurance companies have different criteria and pricing, so it's best for the OP to check with his/her insurer as I proposed earlier.

Are you sure, as I read differently? The stealth VIN is a LR AWD VIN with no performance designator (or so I've read). The M3P+ has a different VIN structure. Where can the truth be found?
Well you bring up a decent point. The Stealth P has been available twice. 2018 for several months, and again now. In both periods, there are reports of cars delivered as LR that were software flashed to P. Obviously, the VIN did not change. I got mine in 2018, and it was delivered as a P. When I submitted to insurance, it was insured as a P. I don’t know if that’s via the VIN or not, but a field upgraded LR would I guess have an LR VIN. There is a thread somewhere on VIN decoding. I’ll bet P is not coded in VIN at all.

Well you bring up a decent point. The Stealth P has been available twice. 2018 for several months, and again now. In both periods, there are reports of cars delivered as LR that were software flashed to P. Obviously, the VIN did not change. I got mine in 2018, and it was delivered as a P. When I submitted to insurance, it was insured as a P. I don’t know if that’s via the VIN or not, but a field upgraded LR would I guess have an LR VIN. There is a thread somewhere on VIN decoding. I’ll bet P is not coded in VIN at all.

I don't believe it is. I offered a factual way for you to prove that out with you insurer. Lot's of conjecture here and different insurers do things differently. All the best! :)

I think they (you insurer) may have meant Performance AWD M3P+, with performance brakes and suspension. Yes, I was asked that too and that's what they told me at the time. Again, insurance companies have different criteria and pricing, so it's best for the OP to check with his/her insurer as I proposed earlier.

A Model 3 Performance is a Model 3 Performance. It is *not* a LR AWD car. My insurance company clearly struggled to determine by VIN alone what it was, and to them there likely isn't a + or - designation - it's either a performance car or it isn't. It is wise to be direct and clear with insurance companies to ensure you are not going to get shortchanged in the event of a total loss, and I was very up front and said it most definitely is a performance car. If the VIN isn't enough for them, the insured needs to speak of or it is to their disadvantage.

• Informative
Reactions: mreynolds767
A Model 3 Performance is a Model 3 Performance. It is *not* a LR AWD car. My insurance company clearly struggled to determine by VIN alone what it was, and to them there likely isn't a + or - designation - it's either a performance car or it isn't. It is wise to be direct and clear with insurance companies to ensure you are not going to get shortchanged in the event of a total loss, and I was very up front and said it most definitely is a performance car. If the VIN isn't enough for them, the insured needs to speak of or it is to their disadvantage.

As I aid several times, it's best for the OP to check the vin with "their" insurer. Claims are handled at the VIN level. Besides, what the definition of performance? One insurer may all an AWD that gets to 60mph less than one second faster (with no other "performance equipment installed - save for software) an AWD and the Telsa M3P+ (with a lowered suspension and larger brakes the performance version (at the higher insurance rate)). No point in continued speculation as the OP needs to check with "their" insurer (with example VINs in hand). YMMV.

False. They will absolutely insure it as a performance car, and I received this email from my insurance company when I added it to my policy.

Hi Mr. ************,

We spoke on the 30th about adding the 2019 Tesla to your auto policy. There was an issue with the VIN validating due to the newness of the car. Our validation team wanted to confirm one thing – Is this a Tesla MODEL 3 AWD or a Tesla MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE AWD?

Once I have that confirmed, I’ll be able to give you a call and complete the quote.

Thank you!

As I aid several times, it's best for the OP to check the vin with "their" insurer. Claims are handled at the VIN level. Besides, what the definition of performance? One insurer may all an AWD that gets to 60mph less than one second faster (with no other "performance equipment installed - save for software) an AWD and the Telsa M3P+ (with a lowered suspension and larger brakes the performance version (at the higher insurance rate)). No point in continued speculation as the OP needs to check with "their" insurer (with example VINs in hand). YMMV.

And as I said, I DID speak to my insurer and even pasted the exact email they sent me, clearly showing there IS a difference between the LR AWD and Performance models. Of course everyone needs to contact their own insurer, but you're conflating and confusing the issue at hand. I am not speculating here - you are speculating by insinuating there really isn't a difference besides software between the models which there in fact is if you've read the other threads highlighting the differences in the motors between LR AWD and Performance cars. Let's stick with facts and first hand experience from people who actually have P3D- cars and have gone through the process with their insurance companies, and you clearly have a LR AWD which means unfortunately your experience isn't directly relevant here.

Reactions: Scott7
Progressive insurance in my state doesn’t even have designation for Model 3 AFAIK. As soon as I put VIN, it came as 2019 Model 3. No AWD or Performance trim option I was given to choose.

Might be different with every insurance company.

Selling my BMW 435i M-sport for P3D+. 2020s will yield higher resale value but you would have to wait 6+ months to get one in your hands. Also most likely Tesla will further drop Model 3 prices early 2020 after federal rebate is completely gone. I have a feeling P3D+ will be lowered to $49.9k in the next 6-12 months.

I was waiting for air suspension but after Elon's tweet yesterday sounds like it may never happen or could be a ways out.

I'm in a similar boat as a growing number of others in these forums. My '16 340i M-sport lease is up in October and I'm wavering on taking delivery at the beginning of the cold weather season (snow comes in Nov and lasts through Mar); I'd need to immediately buy snow tires, and maybe wheels to avoid winter damage to the 20" P3 wheels. I can extend my lease for 6 months or buy something temporary to flip in March or April next year and get a MY2020 P3 then. I can't seem to make a decision one way or the other.

Maybe some news will come out in the next couple months that will make the decision easier.

I'm in a similar boat as a growing number of others in these forums. My '16 340i M-sport lease is up in October and I'm wavering on taking delivery at the beginning of the cold weather season (snow comes in Nov and lasts through Mar); I'd need to immediately buy snow tires, and maybe wheels to avoid winter damage to the 20" P3 wheels. I can extend my lease for 6 months or buy something temporary to flip in March or April next year and get a MY2020 P3 then. I can't seem to make a decision one way or the other.

Maybe some news will come out in the next couple months that will make the decision easier.
Life is short. I’d suggest using that as your guide. All the best!

Reactions: hocr

Have you driven one yet? It sounds like you haven’t because if you had my guess is your decision would be easy - get the Tesla as fast as possible. I am planning to drive mine year round including ski trips because I like it so much. Don’t wait - as said before life is short!

They are fresh out of the oven and selling like hotcakes.
As a data point, my P3D- was built in July, VIN matched in July, delivered in July, with 7 miles on the odometer.
I've been seeing a flurry of brand-new M3's with dealer plates out here in the Bay Area.

Yes I’ve driven the P3D+ and thought it was great, which led me to where I am now, and am not considering another brand, instead just wrestling with the question of when to buy. I chose to wait on my last BMW M3 and was was able to get the competition package because I did. It made a big difference in my opinion in performance and style.

I know there’s a low chance of any life-changing upgrades in the next 6 months for the P3 but still want to try and time the market and get the best car possible that will still be relevant and competitive to similar costing sports cars for the next 5 years.

I think I’m just in a state of paralysis by analysis. I should probably take a break from the forums and twitter for week to let it all digest. Maybe the timing decision will become clearer if I do.

Yes I’ve driven the P3D+ and thought it was great, which led me to where I am now, and am not considering another brand, instead just wrestling with the question of when to buy. I chose to wait on my last BMW M3 and was was able to get the competition package because I did. It made a big difference in my opinion in performance and style.

I know there’s a low chance of any life-changing upgrades in the next 6 months for the P3 but still want to try and time the market and get the best car possible that will still be relevant and competitive to similar costing sports cars for the next 5 years.

I think I’m just in a state of paralysis by analysis. I should probably take a break from the forums and twitter for week to let it all digest. Maybe the timing decision will become clearer if I do.

Good idea. See you next week!

Reactions: Phlier
OP: you have a bit of a mix of mis-information and assumption In your post so thought below would help:

A) Wait out for the next batch of P3D- (I understand they were produced in 2018)
There were a small number made in 2018 ; but any you have seen for sale the past couple of months have definitely been made in 2019 (possibly all made in July of 2019).

Just missed my opportunity to grab a P3D-:
I would not assume that ; NO ONE knows if they are producing more currently, will produce more this month, next month. The information told by sales agents that work for Tesla is often proven wrong on this board. There do seem to still be inventory around the US ; maybe just none in your region and the reps don't want to look at other region availability.

Do not believe anyone who tells you they know what Telsa will do with the model 3 next month unless you are talking to Elon himself. They have proven to be a total wild card. Even Musk seems as unpredictable as Trump ; No one knew the P3D- was coming, no one knew the Multi-Pearl White was going to be a free option, or knew about the prices decreases until the day they happened.

You can always order a regular Performance model, 2019. If you want the rims, brakes, spoiler, etc... that model just decreased in price significantly and is definitely available to be built / ordered.
2020 won't be available until 2020. Prices likely will be lower then but you will not be able to get any Federal Tax credit on a 2020 model.

Sounds like you need to move to St. George. Nice thing about living in the desert... we don't have to shovel sunshine off our driveways.

You might also want to consider the P3D- (aka, the "Stealth" Performance Model 3), as it doesn't come with the big Brembo brakes that the standard Performance Model 3 comes with. You're going to have to find snow tires for your 20" wheels, as the big Brembo brakes makes it impossible to put smaller wheels on the standard Model 3 Performance.

There is a small possibility of us moving from St. George to Salt Lake in the next few years, and that was one of the factors that made me want to go with the P3D-... the car doesn't have the big Brembo brakes, and I can't put 18" wheels (mine came with 19") with snow tires on it easily if needed.

You might want to take a serious look at the P3D-. It's a Performance without the Performance suspension, 20" wheels, Brembo brakes, performance pedals, or spoiler.

I was actually shopping for the standard Performance Model 3 when my Sales Advisor told me about the "stealth" Performance. I was immediately sold when I heard that it did *not* have the performance suspension. The fact that I could put smaller wheels on it was just the proverbial icing. Oh, and the lower price didn't hurt, either. ; )

If you ever find yourself in St. George, send me a PM... I'll take you for a test drive of the P3D- "Stealth".

Reactions: DrBranca