Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will the MY2020 Model 3's start showing up? Best to wait? P3D-?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, new to the forum and currently driving a BMW M3. Test drove the performance model and was blown away by the power delivery. Was pretty much sold on the spot.

Just missed my opportunity to grab a P3D- :(:( Now thinking if i should..

A) Wait out for the next batch of P3D- (I understand they were produced in 2018)
B) Just bite the bullet and order a 2019 Performance
C) Wait a few months to order MY2020 Performance

Question - which would you do and how much longer should/do I have to wait for MY2020?

Id get the full Performance. I was underwhelmed on the brakes on my test drive because Im used to the big Brembos on my current car and I'd assume if you are used to an M3 you'd feel the same. Those are the real selling point to the package. You can replace brakes but it will likely still cost a couple grand anyways and be hard to fit under the 18s so may as well just buy the package and get the other goodies too. I'm in line for a full Performance trim now.

Reactions: raptor5244
Id get the full Performance. I was underwhelmed on the brakes on my test drive because Im used to the big Brembos on my current car and I'd assume if you are used to an M3 you'd feel the same. Those are the real selling point to the package. You can replace brakes but it will likely still cost a couple grand anyways and be hard to fit under the 18s so may as well just buy the package and get the other goodies too. I'm in line for a full Performance trim now.

Were you able to drive both to compare the performance and non performance brake feel? I understand the upgraded brakes might not be noticeable outside the track in normal conditions.

literally on the same boat as you.

Just sold my 2018 BMW M3 today and placed an order for the P3D- Yesterday. Extremely excited for this new journey ahead

Congrats!!! So you were able to pick up one in stock? They only have black and red now.. and the last MSM was sold yesterday.
I assume you test drove the P3D to make your choice.. How do you think it compared to our BMWs?

Unfortunately the configuration I wanted was not in stock so I'll have to wait for it. My buyer wanted the car early and I was willing to get out of the M3 before taking on the Tesla Model 3. I have a secondary car for daily but am getting anxious to get the Model 3 soon lol.

Definitely more Nimble and the power delivery is just mind blowing. I'd definitely opt in for the Performance with all the carbon parts.

Ordered the MSM with White Interior

Unfortunately the configuration I wanted was not in stock so I'll have to wait for it. My buyer wanted the car early and I was willing to get out of the M3 before taking on the Tesla Model 3. I have a secondary car for daily but am getting anxious to get the Model 3 soon lol.

Definitely more Nimble and the power delivery is just mind blowing. I'd definitely opt in for the Performance with all the carbon parts.

Ordered the MSM with White Interior
Might want to check with your sales rep. I called a few and they were adamant that you could not order a P3D- anymore. Only inventory vehicles are available for now. Unless you mean you ordered a new Performance 3.

I would say the BMW sounds better (if you like that type of thing :) ), feels a little better inside materials wise and definitely looks the part. But the Tesla just feels like you are in the future. Silent, instant torque and minimalist design is pretty appealing.

The only gripe I would have is the all the model 3s basically look the same (minus the wheels) and there are a lot here in CA.

Tesla doesn’t do model years. 2020 models will be available either the last week of December 2019 or the first week of January 2020.

I may well be mistaken, but it was my understanding that Tesla's year coding on VINs was tied strictly to production date, which means that "model year" 2020 vehicles won't be available until some time in January of 2020. As @hocr is in California, transit times will be low, so a 2020-production car could conceivably be delivered just days into the new year; however, there will be cars produced in 2019 in inventory, so it won't be until several weeks later that a wide majority of delivered cars will be built in 2020. Also, in the past, Tesla has dedicated most or all of its early-quarter production to overseas markets. If they follow this pattern in early 2020, it could be February before they start producing 2020 vehicles for the US market. I know that when I bought my Model 3, in March of this year, a lot of people were complaining on this forum about getting cars built in 2018. (Of course, I don't know what the percentages were; people would be more likely to complain about getting a "year old" car, rather than praise Tesla for delivering a car built a few weeks later.)

Also, note that Tesla does incremental improvements to its cars, rather than refreshes based on the model year. Thus, waiting could get you some new feature or improvement on an old feature, whether the wait brings you across a year boundary or not. OTOH, waiting might result in no significant improvement. Likewise for pricing changes and features or options being removed from the car. (The mid-range battery pack was discontinued on short notice in March, for instance, and many other details have changed since then, including the default paint color and availability of the LR RWD version.) The main advantage to waiting for a new year is that resale value will likely be higher for the newer car, particularly if you intend to keep it for a short time. If you intend to keep the car for 10 years, I doubt if it'll make much difference.

Remember, too, that deliveries (not orders) before the end of this year are eligible for the $1875 Federal tax credit. Anything delivered on or after January 1 will get no Federal tax credit -- at least, assuming Congress doesn't change the law on these things.

Given all of this, if the configuration you want is available now at a price you like, I'd buy now. If you'd prefer something else, like an LR RWD or a paint color that's not offered (some people want the discontinued silver to return, for instance), you could try holding out for that, but there's no guarantee you'll get it. The probability of price changes between now and January 1 seem to be close to 100%, given Tesla's history, and the price for the configuration you want could go up or down, so that's a gamble. If you decide to wait, be sure to check back frequently, since changes can be announced on short or no notice.

Reactions: Kmartyn
I may well be mistaken, but it was my understanding that Tesla's year coding on VINs was tied strictly to production date, which means that "model year" 2020 vehicles won't be available until some time in January of 2020. As @hocr is in California, transit times will be low, so a 2020-production car could conceivably be delivered just days into the new year; however, there will be cars produced in 2019 in inventory, so it won't be until several weeks later that a wide majority of delivered cars will be built in 2020. Also, in the past, Tesla has dedicated most or all of its early-quarter production to overseas markets. If they follow this pattern in early 2020, it could be February before they start producing 2020 vehicles for the US market. I know that when I bought my Model 3, in March of this year, a lot of people were complaining on this forum about getting cars built in 2018. (Of course, I don't know what the percentages were; people would be more likely to complain about getting a "year old" car, rather than praise Tesla for delivering a car built a few weeks later.)

Also, note that Tesla does incremental improvements to its cars, rather than refreshes based on the model year. Thus, waiting could get you some new feature or improvement on an old feature, whether the wait brings you across a year boundary or not. OTOH, waiting might result in no significant improvement. Likewise for pricing changes and features or options being removed from the car. (The mid-range battery pack was discontinued on short notice in March, for instance, and many other details have changed since then, including the default paint color and availability of the LR RWD version.) The main advantage to waiting for a new year is that resale value will likely be higher for the newer car, particularly if you intend to keep it for a short time. If you intend to keep the car for 10 years, I doubt if it'll make much difference.

Remember, too, that deliveries (not orders) before the end of this year are eligible for the $1875 Federal tax credit. Anything delivered on or after January 1 will get no Federal tax credit -- at least, assuming Congress doesn't change the law on these things.

Given all of this, if the configuration you want is available now at a price you like, I'd buy now. If you'd prefer something else, like an LR RWD or a paint color that's not offered (some people want the discontinued silver to return, for instance), you could try holding out for that, but there's no guarantee you'll get it. The probability of price changes between now and January 1 seem to be close to 100%, given Tesla's history, and the price for the configuration you want could go up or down, so that's a gamble. If you decide to wait, be sure to check back frequently, since changes can be announced on short or no notice.

TYVM for sharing your experience. Given how Tesla responded to the last tax credit cut, we can assume they will drop the price again in Jan. Jan would be a long painful wait. I think the answer is clear.. order the P3D and don't look back :) hahah

Just missed my opportunity to grab a P3D- :(:( Now thinking if i should..

A) Wait out for the next batch of P3D- (I understand they were produced in 2018)

I don't think you missed out on your opportunity - just keep asking about the vehicle you want, until they give it to you. Does not sound like you're in a rush, and there's no reason to let them upsell you to the P3D+ if you don't want it.

Except for perhaps a few inventory vehicles, all of the many, many P3D Stealth vehicles sold recently have been built recently (June/July 2019). There is really very very little "old inventory" that Tesla has on hand. These cars are being sold as quickly as they can be built (Tesla's aggressive price reductions are helping with that). There is no reason that Tesla cannot continue to produce these cars.

I personally don't think you'll have to wait for long to get the "next batch" of P3D-. Tesla is no longer battery constrained (forced them to sell more SRs), so they're going to be pushing to maximize their margins by selling these types of vehicles (and will try to upsell people to the P3D+ by making the P3D Stealth seem rare - which it's not, since the cars are nearly identical). The P3D Stealth is lot more attractive than the P3D+ to a lot of people. So I can't think of any reason that they're not going to keep pumping them out, as they're likely higher margin than everything but the P3D+. The situation could change, but as it stands today that's the way it looks.

As usual with a car purchase, it's usually best to wait as long as possible before buying a new vehicle. If gas goes to $10/gallon that calculation could change but right now it's probably true.

The prices will likely come down a little bit more in 2020, when the tax credit goes away entirely (they might not change the price, but instead reduce the price of FSD, or something like that, though).

• Helpful
Reactions: hocr
Congrats!!! So you were able to pick up one in stock? They only have black and red now.. and the last MSM was sold yesterday.
I assume you test drove the P3D to make your choice.. How do you think it compared to our BMWs?

Here's a vote for MSM with white interior! ;) Welcome and good luck with your acquisition! :)

DJI_0072.JPG
DJI_0075.JPG

I don't think you missed out on your opportunity - just keep asking about the vehicle you want, until they give it to you. Does not sound like you're in a rush, and there's no reason to let them upsell you to the P3D+ if you don't want it.

Except for perhaps a few inventory vehicles, all of the many, many P3D Stealth vehicles sold recently have been built recently (June/July 2019). There is really very very little "old inventory" that Tesla has on hand. These cars are being sold as quickly as they can be built (Tesla's aggressive price reductions are helping with that). There is no reason that Tesla cannot continue to produce these cars.

I personally don't think you'll have to wait for long to get the "next batch" of P3D-. Tesla is no longer battery constrained (forced them to sell more SRs), so they're going to be pushing to maximize their margins by selling these types of vehicles (and will try to upsell people to the P3D+ by making the P3D Stealth seem rare - which it's not, since the cars are nearly identical). The P3D Stealth is lot more attractive than the P3D+ to a lot of people. So I can't think of any reason that they're not going to keep pumping them out, as they're likely higher margin than everything but the P3D+. The situation could change, but as it stands today that's the way it looks.

As usual with a car purchase, it's usually best to wait as long as possible before buying a new vehicle. If gas goes to $10/gallon that calculation could change but right now it's probably true.

The prices will likely come down a little bit more in 2020, when the tax credit goes away entirely (they might not change the price, but instead reduce the price of FSD, or something like that, though).

And there is also "The Insurance Factor"... A stealth will insure as a LR AWD, whereas the M3P+ will not.

• Love
Reactions: UnicornDriver
And there is also "The Insurance Factor"... A stealth will insure as a LR AWD, whereas the M3P+ will not.

False. They will absolutely insure it as a performance car, and I received this email from my insurance company when I added it to my policy.

Hi Mr. ************,

We spoke on the 30th about adding the 2019 Tesla to your auto policy. There was an issue with the VIN validating due to the newness of the car. Our validation team wanted to confirm one thing – Is this a Tesla MODEL 3 AWD or a Tesla MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE AWD?

Once I have that confirmed, I’ll be able to give you a call and complete the quote.

Thank you!