Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will the MY2020 Model 3's start showing up? Best to wait? P3D-?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP: you have a bit of a mix of mis-information and assumption In your post so thought below would help:

A) Wait out for the next batch of P3D- (I understand they were produced in 2018)
There were a small number made in 2018 ; but any you have seen for sale the past couple of months have definitely been made in 2019 (possibly all made in July of 2019).

Just missed my opportunity to grab a P3D-:
I would not assume that ; NO ONE knows if they are producing more currently, will produce more this month, next month. The information told by sales agents that work for Tesla is often proven wrong on this board. There do seem to still be inventory around the US ; maybe just none in your region and the reps don't want to look at other region availability.

Do not believe anyone who tells you they know what Telsa will do with the model 3 next month unless you are talking to Elon himself. They have proven to be a total wild card. Even Musk seems as unpredictable as Trump ; No one knew the P3D- was coming, no one knew the Multi-Pearl White was going to be a free option, or knew about the prices decreases until the day they happened.

You can always order a regular Performance model, 2019. If you want the rims, brakes, spoiler, etc... that model just decreased in price significantly and is definitely available to be built / ordered.
2020 won't be available until 2020. Prices likely will be lower then but you will not be able to get any Federal Tax credit on a 2020 model.

Thanks for taking the time to the reply. I should have been more clear with the first option. It does read like I thought the p3d- available now were built in 2018. I just meant there was another batch in 2018. I'll make the edit for anyone reading in the future.

Tesla does seem unpredictable and I tried to squeeze some info from a friend who works in Tesla(not sales). You are right no one but Elon truly knows what's coming.

Anyway, I thought 65k for performance was a bit much vs competition. 55k is reasonable but 49k would be amazing. I ended up ordering a 2019 P3D. Life is short as others have said :). Plus I don’t want to wait for my bmw M3 warranty to be expired when selling.

Reactions: DrBranca and Phlier
Thanks for taking the time to the reply. I should have been more clear with the first option. It does read like I thought the p3d- available now were built in 2018. I just meant there was another batch in 2018. I'll make the edit for anyone reading in the future.

Tesla does seem unpredictable and I tried to squeeze some info from a friend who works in Tesla(not sales). You are right no one but Elon truly knows what's coming.

Anyway, I thought 65k for performance was a bit much vs competition. 55k is reasonable but 49k would be amazing. I ended up ordering a 2019 P3D. Life is short as others have said :). Plus I don’t want to wait for my bmw M3 warranty to be expired when selling.

Congrats, way to go! :)

Reactions: hocr
Something to keep in mind for those waiting to see if Tesla will add more features to the Model 3 before ordering...

Unlike all traditional carmakers, upgrades to the car get added via software update after you take delivery, so the car you buy today will almost certainly be better a year from today whereas a traditional car will almost certainly be worse with time. Physical hardware changes are different of course, so if Tesla offered ventilated seats or air suspension in the future that won't be changed via a software update obviously. But Teslas have a history of getting more power, better battery management, new features like dog and sentry modes, etc. and generally get better with time which is a pretty wild and innovative/disruptive idea when you think about it. Also keep in mind just because a certain configuration and price is available right now, it does not indicate that same thing will exist tomorrow. If you find something Tesla offers at a price that is appealing, I strongly suggest jumping on it since it might disappear overnight like what happened to me when ordering the MR car. It's both annoying and amusing, but mostly it's incredibly effective at getting people like me off the fence.

Reactions: hocr and Phlier
Something to keep in mind for those waiting to see if Tesla will add more features to the Model 3 before ordering...

Unlike all traditional carmakers, upgrades to the car get added via software update after you take delivery, so the car you buy today will almost certainly be better a year from today whereas a traditional car will almost certainly be worse with time. Physical hardware changes are different of course, so if Tesla offered ventilated seats or air suspension in the future that won't be changed via a software update obviously. But Teslas have a history of getting more power, better battery management, new features like dog and sentry modes, etc. and generally get better with time which is a pretty wild and innovative/disruptive idea when you think about it. Also keep in mind just because a certain configuration and price is available right now, it does not indicate that same thing will exist tomorrow. If you find something Tesla offers at a price that is appealing, I strongly suggest jumping on it since it might disappear overnight like what happened to me when ordering the MR car. It's both annoying and amusing, but mostly it's incredibly effective at getting people like me off the fence.

Exactly.

And as another guy above said... "Life is short". That little saying hits a lot closer to home now that I'm in my 50's. All my life I've always waited to treat myself to something, never actually doing it. For me, it was always, "Someday, I'll own a car like that." But I never did.

Well this time I did it. I treated myself to something special and I have absolutely no regrets about it.

Exactly.

And as another guy above said... "Life is short". That little saying hits a lot closer to home now that I'm in my 50's. All my life I've always waited to treat myself to something, never actually doing it. For me, it was always, "Someday, I'll own a car like that." But I never did.

Well this time I did it. I treated myself to something special and I have absolutely no regrets about it.

@Phlier - Wow, I must have found my long lost twin... Exactly the same story and feelings here... I'll toss out another (related) saying I use frequently...

"You can always make (or save) more money, but you can't make more time...."

This thread has transcended just cars hahah :) Reminds me of something I read while back that changed my POV.

Top five regrets of the dying

"
Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently," she says, "common themes surfaced again and again."

Here are the top five regrets of the dying, as witnessed by Ware:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.""

Couldn't agree more. I was planning to buy a Tesla next year, but was too excited and couldn't wait any longer when I saw the P3D- available. Enjoy the drive so much that my wife said I was so much happier coming home. something money can't buy. Wish I had the car when I was younger. I rarely launch it, but my 20yr old floored it multiple times in a 15 min drive... will keep it away from him lol

• Funny
Reactions: FoverM and jebinc
OP already said they did (earlier post)… :)

I'm talking to EVERYONE who comes to this thread who is on the fence. I'm sure lots of people are reading this who have not decided if now is the right time to buy one, and I want to encourage anyone on the fence to make the move. They should at least go for a good test drive, and that will seal the deal for most.

I'm talking to EVERYONE who comes to this thread who is on the fence. I'm sure lots of people are reading this who have not decided if now is the right time to buy one, and I want to encourage anyone on the fence to make the move. They should at least go for a good test drive, and that will seal the deal for most.

Got it! I hope you hook a few more into "going for it"!

Reactions: MTSN
Exactly.

Similar situation except that I had a 1991 300 ZX-TT in my 20s (in the Seattle area as software engineer in the go-go 80s and 90s) before taking my wife's hand-me-downs. I always wanted her to have the newest and most reliable car. Then our daughter started driving, so I wanted her to have the most reliable car so I got her an Acura TLX. I have a home business so I really didn't need a car and while we have a "three" car garage it really only holds two. Anyway, when our daughter went off to college, I actually needed to buy a car ... for the first time in almost 30 years. My wife's car is an excellent LS 460 so we didn't need another "family" cruiser.

Over the years I had test driven a Miata, Z4, 370, etc. to replace my ZX but nothing really grabbed hold of me. I wanted something fun, like my ZX was when I bought it. So I thought: Model S Performance. When I looked at the S and 3 in our local Tesla showroom in Alpharetta I initially thought, "WTF", with the weirdo interior on the 3. I test drove both of them several times before settling on the 3P+. We didn't need another big sedan and the interior of the S was somewhat boring/lacking, not to mention $40+K extra.

One thing that I've found surprising in the test drives I've given people/neighbors in my 3P+ is that almost all of them have specifically mentioned how much they like the spartan interior. Of course, everyone does the "holy *sugar*" moment on launch and almost everyone notes how the car could, "get them in a bunch of trouble", but I was amazed how little resistance and actual overt approval there was to the interior. These are people from their 40s to 70s. As my wife said, "this is the car you should get ... because it looks like a spaceship inside".

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Couple bits of clarification from stuff earlier in the thread-

AWD, P3D-, P3D+ all have exactly the same VIN code for dual motor. No way to tell which is which based on that.

YMMV (greatly) on if your insurance company looks any deeper than that, so check with them. (and this may vary even with the same company in different states).

Also the + brakes and the - brakes will both stop the car in exactly the same distance on the street assuming they're running the same tires. The tires stop the car, not the brakes.

Brake upgrades can change the FEEL of the brakes, they can't make the car stop any shorter.

(For those who run on non-drag tracks they can also maintain that original stopping distance when making repeatedly high speed stops without giving time for the brakes to cool- which is the biggest functional improvement they offer- but isn't of much value outside of a track unless you're involved in the chase scene from a Bourne movie)

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier