Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did the Tesla Rangers go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Tesla X had a flat on I-10 in Florida. Of course, we were adequately warned on the dashboard by the drop in tire pressure, and we were able to determine how fast we were losing pressure by airing the tire up every ~ 50 miles, but we had to make a pivotal decision before taking the turn off to I-75.

Granted it was a Friday and it was around 3:30 pm close to quitting time, but the only option we were given was to schedule a roadside assistance which covered 50 miles of towing. After speaking to a couple tire repair “professionals” we decided the best decision was to make a run for the Jacksonville Tesla Service Center.

To make a long story short, we ended up going to an auto parts store & purchasing an air compressor; staying overnight in a Hilton, (granted not too shabby), going to a Costco the next morning; and, finally purchasing a Costco membership to get a $10 tire patch.

This just doesn’t seem right to me. What am I missing here? Where was the Tesla Ranger? Are they a thing of the past?

You did good. You won't believe me, but check what I say. Tesla has a no patch policy. They would have put a new tire on your wheel. But they would not have patched it.

And Tesla Mobile Service doesn't patch, they would have replaced the tire - but probably would not have had one in the van.

Tesla is not a 24/7 operation. And neither is Costco or Sears or others.

Our Tesla X had a flat on I-10 in Florida. Of course, we were adequately warned on the dashboard by the drop in tire pressure, and we were able to determine how fast we were losing pressure by airing the tire up every ~ 50 miles, but we had to make a pivotal decision before taking the turn off to I-75.

Granted it was a Friday and it was around 3:30 pm close to quitting time, but the only option we were given was to schedule a roadside assistance which covered 50 miles of towing. After speaking to a couple tire repair “professionals” we decided the best decision was to make a run for the Jacksonville Tesla Service Center.

To make a long story short, we ended up going to an auto parts store & purchasing an air compressor; staying overnight in a Hilton, (granted not too shabby), going to a Costco the next morning; and, finally purchasing a Costco membership to get a $10 tire patch.

This just doesn’t seem right to me. What am I missing here? Where was the Tesla Ranger? Are they a thing of the past?

These days flat tires are usually handled by 3rd party towing companies that a contract with Tesla. If they have a Tesla wheel of the right size they will bring it out and change it for you to get you on you way. You can then take the tire into the SC. Otherwise they can tow your car to a service center. Not sure if service centers patch tires any more.

Rangers are trained service personnel that can do much of the diagnosis and servicing of a car at your home or work at a scheduled time and day. They have cars or vans with parts racks. I used a ranger to fix the charge door on my when It was hanging slightly open. They did this at my house in my garage in about 30 minutes. Which is much less time than it would take me to drop off my car at the Service Center.

Reactions: VikH and Akikiki
What am I missing here? Where was the Tesla Ranger? Are they a thing of the past?

No they are not. Very much alive. But they don‘t patch tires.
Can you see them having the huge equipment needed to take off a tire, vulcanize the hole und put the tire onto a rim and balance it, into their vans?
They can sometimes bring a complete wheel if they happen to have one lying around (but with so many types nowadays, not much chance).

Sorry to say it, but what is missing is you not having a patchkit with you (air-compressor, jack and Multi-Seal or TireSlime).

You have very unreasonable expectations concerning Tesla Service.

You did good. You won't believe me, but check what I say. Tesla has a no patch policy. They would have put a new tire on your wheel. But they would not have patched it.
And Tesla Mobile Service doesn't patch, they would have replaced the tire - but probably would not have had one in the van.

Don't conflate Tesla Rangers with Roadside Assistance. My experience with R/A is they are very fast, and 24/7. I called in a flat tire last year on Christmas Eve, and told the guy "No not tonight, anytime next business day is fine" Rangers are Tesla employees and keep fairly normal hours. Roadside Assistance is contracted out to local companies in your area. They are trained and usually carry common tires as loaners until your tire is repaired. If you use Roadside Assistance from the app, you will (should) get a call back within minutes.

These days flat tires are usually handled by 3rd party towing companies that a contract with Tesla. If they have a Tesla wheel of the right size they will bring it out and change it for you to get you on you way. You can then take the tire into the SC. Otherwise they can tow your car to a service center. Not sure if service centers patch tires any more.

Rangers are trained service personnel that can do much of the diagnosis and servicing of a car at your home or work at a scheduled time and day. They have cars or vans with parts racks. I used a ranger to fix the charge door on my when It was hanging slightly open. They did this at my house in my garage in about 30 minutes. Which is much less time than it would take me to drop off my car at the Service Center.

Thanks, I’m glad you have such good access to their services. Being in Florida I’m not confident we even have the privilege of contacting their team. I understand towing is no charge for the first 50 miles. We’re not only in Florida, but we live in rural North Central Florida, and believe it or not we aren’t the only ones with an X in MIcanopy.

Of course you’re in Florida.

Otherwise you wouldn’t be asking this question.
No they are not. Very much alive. But they don‘t patch tires.
Can you see them having the huge equipment needed to take off a tire, vulcanize the hole und put the tire onto a rim and balance it, into their vans?
They can sometimes bring a complete wheel if they happen to have one lying around (but with so many types nowadays, not much chance).

Sorry to say it, but what is missing is you not having a patchkit with you (air-compressor, jack and Multi-Seal or TireSlime).

You have very unreasonable expectations concerning Tesla Service.

Indeed, I did have inflated expectations, (no pun intended). My GF with an older different model raved about their “on the spot service.” I’m thinking she was in a big city like DC. Anyway, I certainly should’ve done more homework before leaving on such a road trip. “All’s well that ends well.” I do wonder if that’s why I feel a vibration when accelerating now.

Indeed, I did have inflated expectations, (no pun intended). My GF with an older different model raved about their “on the spot service.” I’m thinking she was in a big city like DC. Anyway, I certainly should’ve done more homework before leaving on such a road trip. “All’s well that ends well.” I do wonder if that’s why I feel a vibration when accelerating now.

In the pre-2016 or so days, when the S was the only model the rangers did a lot more. But Teslas where far and few between then. Now Tesla are mainstream and must reserve these higher skilled Rangers for more skilled task. Since many can change a tire Tesla has outsourced it to two companies. And uses its specialized techs with factory training to diagnosis and fix internal systems issues on a Model S, X, 3, and Y.