Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did tire pressure go? V11 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since tire pressure should be checked when the car has not been driven for a couple of hours, and really should be checked before a drive, the old system was no better than the new one. Neither showed pressure before driving.

Now, my tire pressure gauge at least does the job correctly, although it does require me to bend over, which at 75, is getting harder.
Good point about checking tire pressures when the car hasn't been driven. Although for our 2018 M3 the pressure display under the Service tab starts to show after the car has travelled a block or two; probably not enough to change tire pressure by any significant amount. If the tire pressure reads low after driving, probably the appropriate strategy is to inflate the low tire, using a tire gauge, to the same level as the others, whatever that might be at the time. Then recheck later when the tires are cold.

As mentioned previously, I believe that there are two levels of warnings in the software. The first is a tire symbol on the screen that I think is triggered at something like 35-37 PSI. (I got that earlier this winter during a cold spell and added 2-3PSI when I got home; the tire symbol went away.) Pretty sure there is a another warning at a lower pressure. Its been a couple of years since that happened in our car due to a loose valve stem with a rapid loss of tire pressure. That was something that would not be missed by the driver; probably audio alarm with pop-up message.

For myself, I'm quite happy to let the car monitor tire pressure and warn me if there is a significant problem. Occasionally I might do a quick check under the Service tab but only to see if all the tires are about the same. The specific number will vary with driving, weather, etc and isn't something I worry about too much.

Good point about checking tire pressures when the car hasn't been driven. Although for our 2018 M3 the pressure display under the Service tab starts to show after the car has travelled a block or two; probably not enough to change tire pressure by any significant amount. If the tire pressure reads low after driving, probably the appropriate strategy is to inflate the low tire, using a tire gauge, to the same level as the others, whatever that might be at the time. Then recheck later when the tires are cold.

As mentioned previously, I believe that there are two levels of warnings in the software. The first is a tire symbol on the screen that I think is triggered at something like 35-37 PSI. (I got that earlier this winter during a cold spell and added 2-3PSI when I got home; the tire symbol went away.) Pretty sure there is a another warning at a lower pressure. Its been a couple of years since that happened in our car due to a loose valve stem with a rapid loss of tire pressure. That was something that would not be missed by the driver; probably audio alarm with pop-up message.

For myself, I'm quite happy to let the car monitor tire pressure and warn me if there is a significant problem. Occasionally I might do a quick check under the Service tab but only to see if all the tires are about the same. The specific number will vary with driving, weather, etc and isn't something I worry about too much.
On all my cars, the tires normally stay close to each other, losing pressure equally. If they get a few pounds low, then the tires will not wear evenly, and will need to be replaced prematurely when the outside tread wears down too much. I learned about this many years ago when I had a bad tire gauge and didn't realize it. Now I not only make sure the gauge is accurate, but I also check tires and inflate them all when they are a few pounds low. I have a Ryobi 18 volt tire inflator that has an accurate gauge, so I set it up and let it run til it stops for every tire.

Tires lose traction faster when under-inflated than when over-inflated. It can be dangerous if under-inflated, and also overheats more. But you can do whatever you decide, and I'll hope you don't run into me if you have a problem.

Reactions: matj1285
Old thread. New owner. I mis-swiped and the three cards went away. But, a hold down both rollers on the steering wheel “reset” brings them back.
After swiping down on the cards, you needn't reboot to get them back. Just tap the 🎵 icon on the bottom bar.

IIRC you can also open the large media controls for any source type, where the small media controls will appear on top (with extra features like shuffle in some cases), then swipe something.

Reactions: sleepydoc