Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where does AP get speed limits from? How can I fix/ask to fix them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a discovery that Tesla uses OSM for Smart Summon:

OpenStreetMaps and Smart Summon

So in theory, if you create a new private street, you should be able to perform summon there but I haven't heard any successful report yet.

It is also assumed that Tesla speed limit must also come from OSM but I have not heard any admission from Tesla yet.

Tesla may use OSM and anyone can enter erroneous info so I guess Tesla still has to verify the data for validity.

That means you might as well send a corrected speed to Tesla directly rather than through OSM.

My guess is Tesla is pushing toward speed sign recognition rather than manual speed inputs.
So make the fix on the Open Street Map or screen shot it to me and circle it with a larger area of it screenshotted to and I’ll fix it.

BUT you won’t see it fixed until Tesla pushes a new map update (and that’s a big maybe)
I have been for many years being an avid supporter and editor of OSM, in my case “that road” has the right info (in both directions) and .... unfortunately I don’t think it’s a source, if this was so, it would have updated by now (going on a year).

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Have you actually seen one fixed?

I've seen people report doing what you just said, but I haven't seen anyone report that it successfully fixed it.

I did update the parking lot map (to add lanes), and that did fix the Smart Summon routing. Smart Summon still sucked, but at least the route it was taking was correct.

Tesla hasn’t updated the map version since I’ve made changes so no, I cannot confirm but I’m sure they’re cheap bastards so they’ll use open source maps on the next update.

There are two roads on my daily commute where the displayed speed limit is wrong -- the township dropped the limit a couple years ago so they could set up speed traps for safety reasons. When I got to OpenStreetMaps, there was no limit set on these roads. I updated it anyway - it'll benefit someone someday at least.

Reactions: EchoDelta
From what I've gathered, and experienced myself, OSM is used for parking lots. I've edited OSM for a local lot that didn't have the parking lanes mapped, and after an update my car followed the lane lines on Smart Summon, when it didn't before.

There's a long stretch of road I take directly to the freeway, where both Tesla maps and Google Maps lists it as 35 mph, when in reality it's 40 mph. OSM also had it as 35 mph (it use to be that speed before), but I edited it months ago to 40 mph. So I don't think OSM is used for the streets, at least in my area. I've sent in a correction to Google Maps (still pending). I'll be curious to see if that will correct the Tesla Map when it goes live.

From what I've gathered, and experienced myself, OSM is used for parking lots. I've edited OSM for a local lot that didn't have the parking lanes mapped, and after an update my car followed the lane lines on Smart Summon, when it didn't before.

There's a long stretch of road I take directly to the freeway, where both Tesla maps and Google Maps lists it as 35 mph, when in reality it's 40 mph. OSM also had it as 35 mph (it use to be that speed before), but I edited it months ago to 40 mph. So I don't think OSM is used for the streets, at least in my area. I've sent in a correction to Google Maps (still pending). I'll be curious to see if that will correct the Tesla Map when it goes live.

How do you send a speed limit correct to google maps? i see an issue locally where google says 65 and its really 55.

Idea to Defeat Patent:

When a Tesla driver sees a speed limit sign, they hit a button and it takes a snap shot. Then it sends it to Tesla with the GPS info and VIN. Now a land server processes these images with optical character recognition (not patented) to build mapping, They fill in speed limits with it. They give a perk to the VIN #, a "Tesla buck" or a SC kWh. You can't give the same info twice for credit. The Mobileye patent is for in-car processing in real time.

But yeah, it's heavily flawed right now.

Reactions: Routybouty
In addition, can someone please explain why sometimes Autopilot will adapt to speed limit changes, and other times not? Do you have to be in NOA for it work? I know you can tap the speed limit sign on the display, and the car will slow or speed up 5mph over the posted limit. Am I missing something? No, I have yet to read the manual, sorry.

In car mapping data for some things is imo very likely sourced from OSM; another instance (no smart summon here yet) A fast road near me, one on which NoA should function fully has it switch on and off every 5-10 miles. When I checked the road in OSM, the points at which NoA switched were the points on the map where the road was broken into segments; some of the segments had NoA enabled, others didn't couldn't see an obvious difference in the road segments so couldn't fix the behaviour to prove it.

Another not so “cool” Autopilot speed limit feature I’ve seen creep up on 2020.12.11.1 is this:

sometimes while traveling on thruways with NOA on, speed set to 70mph, when passing over an interchange, speed limit in the display will drop to 45mph, and the car stabs the brakes to slow to that speed. This is NOT phantom braking, as there are no shadows or other vehicles around. Plus the speed limit in the display clearly drops to 45. It doesn’t do this all the time, but it seems to do it in the same spot(s) every time. Possibly it’s trying to slow down for the exit ramp, even though the car is not exiting???

Hey- I am slightly embarrassed because I should know this, but I can’t find a definitive answer.

where does ap currently get it’s speed limits from? How can I fix it?

Specifically, I need to fix one near our house where AP will abruptly slow down on a 4-lane road indicating a max speed from 45 to 25. This is super dangerous and mildly annoying.

I checked all sources of info I could find (county GIS, Open Street Maps, Google, etc) and they all have the correct speed limit.

Also, I’ve “reported” the bad speed over a dozen times via the (somewhat vague and suspiciously open-ended) “report a bug” feature over the last months.

any advice on where to look or how to get it fixed?

Thx,

I'd like to know too. There's one stretch of road where the in-car speed limit isn't accurate to the real road speed limit.

I checked on OpenStreetMap and the speed limit is recorded correctly there.

One particular strip of road, I had to fix on both OpenStreetMaps (it was blank) and Waze (it was wrong). It's been a few months and it's still wrong in the car.

Does anyone know any other users-can-edit map services? Maybe I'll run through all of them and see if anything sticks.