Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice the trunk/boot has split opening. Could be wrong, wild speculation.View attachment 72039
I don't think that is a split opening. Every vehicle I've seen with a split opening has a square joint at the lower edge where the lower hinge is. The picture shows a curved lower edge, which would require a complicated hinge arrangement (or the bizarre drawer arrangement that AFAIK has only shown up on concept cars.)Walter

Looks too much like the concept car. I'm not believing that this is what the final Model X will look like. From things I've heard, the final product will be different and better than the concept. The vehicle in these pictures, in my opinion, isn't really much different or better.

I'm a reservation holder, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think the prototype is that great looking. I'm really hoping the final product is better. I'm still a buyer either way, but just hoping.

I have done some image analysis on the leaked pictures, and it is clear to me that this is a controlled leak from Tesla Motors.

The pictures are taken in full daylight from just a couple of meters of distance, a clear and perfect day for photography, but yet the photographer was “unlucky” enough to get the entire picture heavily underexposed.

The backside and the sides of the car seem to be quite similar to the earlier prototype, but clearly the front has changed a lot. Therefore it is really “sad” for the poor photographer that just the front section of the car got so underexposed that all image information is gone and cannot be retrieved again.
In addition, the images are heavily compressed and the compression artifacts in the front section of the car happen to be, not only in another color tone, but also another size than the compression artifacts in rest of the picture.

n56j4z.jpg

303fn15.jpg

sy41mc.jpg

Looks too much like the concept car. I'm not believing that this is what the final Model X will look like. From things I've heard, the final product will be different and better than the concept. The vehicle in these pictures, in my opinion, isn't really much different or better.

I'm a reservation holder, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think the prototype is that great looking. I'm really hoping the final product is better. I'm still a buyer either way, but just hoping.

There's too much black tape over the car to get a good look at the fine details. These photos give the general shape, but not much more.

The photographer wasn't in a model s (you can see the back door handle of the photographer's car in one of the pics). I'm still trying to figure out what it is--maybe a Honda or Nissan?

It is a car built on the same chassie as the model S, the final should look better than the prototype, it beed to be as aerodynamic as posible, why or how should its looks change alot from prototype?
To many parameters is already sett and it should be a Tesla?
As many parts as posible should be reused to get production costs down. :)

I'm not concerned with the details. It's the general shape that is too much like the concept that bothers me and makes me think this isn't the final production prototype.

I'm not sure I can fully agree here. The flanks are flatter and the windows bigger. Overall the body has lost some sleekness but probably gained a lot of interior roominess.

I agree it looks too similar to the concept. Is there any indication when these so called 'new' photos were taken... could've actually been awhile ago. Does the background foliage tell anything?

It's most likely that this version is the beta. The shareholder letter said there were 30+ beta X's undergoing rigorous testing. The exterior can't diverge much from the prototype given aerodynamic limitations. It's likely the most dramatic changes are happening inside the X. That said, I wouldn't judge the exterior until we see it without camo.

If there are 30+ betas out there, then we should get to see the others and preferably in more colours such as white, this will end the doubts as to this being a beta and enlighten us as to what the details of the design are, as white will show up the edges more.

I'm guessing a few people on this forum are beta testers but their NDA prevents them from letting us know.