Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there are 30+ betas out there, then we should get to see the others and preferably in more colours such as white, this will end the doubts as to this being a beta and enlighten us as to what the details of the design are, as white will show up the edges more.

I'm guessing a few people on this forum are beta testers but their NDA prevents them from letting us know.

Until the X has passed regulatory testing (such as crash testing), I'd be surprised to see the X being driven by anyone but Tesla employees or professional drivers contracted for the job.

I don't think that is a split opening. Every vehicle I've seen with a split opening has a square joint at the lower edge where the lower hinge is. The picture shows a curved lower edge, which would require a complicated hinge arrangement (or the bizarre drawer arrangement that AFAIK has only shown up on concept cars.)

I agree. But since this thread is all about insane speculation, let me say that perhaps it articulates like the falcon wing doors. Tailgate goes up, that piece folds in for more head clearance. Before you laugh, realize that I already am.

Didn't they say last night that the production candidates would be produced in March?

Yes, "release candidate" production is scheduled for March. This was stated in the conference call last night.

Am I the only one who interpreted "production candidates" to mean they will still be evaluating different variables in March?

I believe the key is that features will be tweaked, rather than added or deleted. A hypothetical might be: Tesla decided that the Panoramic Roof feature will be included as an option. For Production Candidate vehicles, they may adjust the geometry of the seals for that pano roof for optimum noise reduction and reliability.

Am I the only one who interpreted "production candidates" to mean they will still be evaluating different variables in March?
"Release Candidate" means that everything has been tested to the point where they feel it's ready to enter production. You enter this stage with the expectation that no significant changes are required before the product is delivered to the customer. There should not be any more variables being evaluated. The vehicles will be driven and evaluated by non-engineers in the manner they would be used by customers, and it's a final opportunity to catch any lingering bugs before general release.

Not 100% clear after adjustments but from what's visible, I don't see a nosecone:

Are you sure you aren't venturing into fantasyland? ;) I agree, the front would seem to be in line with the previous hints. It could still be camouflaged, though, so I wouldn't take this as a confirmaton quite yet. Odds go up, though.

Also of note, all images show the re-designed falcon wing door bottom exterior shape:

I would say this is, at the very least, very much in line with the previous leaks and hints emenating from Tesla (intentionally or unintentionally).

attachment.php?attachmentid=70998&d=1422819436.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=63999&d=14164339408.png

if you look closely at the side mirror you see a bulge. A camera perhaps?

Haven't looked closely enough to see what you're talking about, yet, but... there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Tesla will reveal a camera-view-around-the-car system that equals or betters the system in Nissan/Infiniti and Ford cars right now. That is exactly the area where Elon wants to excel ("we're in Silicon Valley... we ought to have the best software") - but they just don't have it yet. See how the parking sensor view was beefed up in 6.1 ? Just add a live camera view of the ground around the vehicle.

Thus, there should be side cameras that show the ground around you on 1) the "camera stub" version of the side mirrors, and 2) the conventional side mirror version. Perhaps the downwards-facing cameras do not come off when you remove the side mirrors.

This should be an expected hardware improvement somewhere in the Model S roadmap, along with faster touchscreen graphics/CPU, bigger battery etc.

I looked at the mirrors and couldn't see anything obvious. They look just like Model S wing mirrors (and why wouldn't they)

Someone else above also said they thought there are 4 wheelnuts... this also doesn't make sense. (and I think I see the layout of five wheelnuts) The whole drivetrain is supposed to be identical, as far as possible, to the Model S and that would extend to the wheel systems too.

Last edited:
The lip of the frunk, even with the chrome blacked out, does suggest the presence of a nose cone:

There is definitely something there, on that prototype. At the very least a slit with the Tesla logo underneath the frunk cover, which is clearly visible. Interesting part will be, is there more of a cone or perhaps just a bumper with some family design on it.

It is also possible, if this even is a final prototype, there is still heavy camo on the front disguising final shape.

- - - Updated - - -

This car does look shorter on the wheelbase front than the original Model X prototype. If this is Model X, and of course it is, then the prototype driving around the dock was too. There may just have been a wheelbase change as sigurdi reminded us. It is also possible they've made the front doors a little longer and the falcon wings a little shorter, which gives an optical illusion of a smaller car in a way.

This car does look shorter on the wheelbase front than the original Model X prototype. If this is Model X, and of course it is, then the prototype driving around the dock was too. There may just have been a wheelbase change as sigurdi reminded us. It is also possible they've made the front doors a little longer and the falcon wings a little shorter, which gives an optical illusion of a smaller car in a way.

While a shorter wheelbase is certainly possible, the Model S battery pack pretty much fills the space between the axles (and a little more at the front and rear center.) It seems like any wheelbase shorter than the Model S one would entail a different battery pack architecture, and given the options for that most likely a different module architecture, which would appear to require a bunch of new tooling and automation that's unique to the Model X without adding any visible value.

Based on this logic, I'm thinking the wheelbase is likely to be the same (which is typical for the competitive set of gas guzzlers anyway,) and any appearance of shortening is from other geometry changes.
Walter

While a shorter wheelbase is certainly possible, the Model S battery pack pretty much fills the space between the axles (and a little more at the front and rear center.) It seems like any wheelbase shorter than the Model S one would entail a different battery pack architecture, and given the options for that most likely a different module architecture, which would appear to require a bunch of new tooling and automation that's unique to the Model X without adding any visible value.

Based on this logic, I'm thinking the wheelbase is likely to be the same (which is typical for the competitive set of gas guzzlers anyway,) and any appearance of shortening is from other geometry changes.
Walter

+1.

Haven't looked closely enough to see what you're talking about, yet, but... there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Tesla will reveal a camera-view-around-the-car system that equals or betters the system in Nissan/Infiniti and Ford cars right now. That is exactly the area where Elon wants to excel ("we're in Silicon Valley... we ought to have the best software") - but they just don't have it yet. See how the parking sensor view was beefed up in 6.1 ? Just add a live camera view of the ground around the vehicle.

Thus, there should be side cameras that show the ground around you on 1) the "camera stub" version of the side mirrors, and 2) the conventional side mirror version. Perhaps the downwards-facing cameras do not come off when you remove the side mirrors.

This should be an expected hardware improvement somewhere in the Model S roadmap, along with faster touchscreen graphics/CPU, bigger battery etc.

I looked at the mirrors and couldn't see anything obvious. They look just like Model S wing mirrors (and why wouldn't they)

Someone else above also said they thought there are 4 wheelnuts... this also doesn't make sense. (and I think I see the layout of five wheelnuts) The whole drivetrain is supposed to be identical, as far as possible, to the Model S and that would extend to the wheel systems too.

This is definitely a noob question (and way off topic), but how do I add a fancy/cool signatures such as yours? Thank you!

if you look closely at the side mirror you see a bulge. A camera perhaps?

What about this as an unrevealed X "feature": the X side mirror housings contain a tiny video camera on the outer edge and the mirrors can be folded flat by the driver when at speed to reduce drag but the video camera still works and displays its image in the center display or perhaps in an extra large rear view mirror.

That way the federal law requiring conventional side view mirrors is followed (all X cars will be delivered with the side mirrors) but at speed the advantage of using low-drag video cameras is possible.

And at X release in mid-summer this same feature will suddenly appear on the S as well. Unannounced.

Remember, you read it here first :)

What about this as an unrevealed X "feature": the X side mirror housings contain a tiny video camera on the outer edge and the mirrors can be folded flat by the driver when at speed to reduce drag but the video camera still works and displays its image in the center display or perhaps in an extra large rear view mirror.

That way the federal law requiring conventional side view mirrors is followed (all X cars will be delivered with the side mirrors) but at speed the advantage of using low-drag video cameras is possible.

And at X release in mid-summer this same feature will suddenly appear on the S as well. Unannounced.

Remember, you read it here first :)

That's interesting. I'd tend to think that the same NHTSA people who aren't giving them relief for the mirror rules would take issue with the mirror folding away, but that's pure speculation on my part.

There is a bonus to this approach, though: Depending on how far the mirrors rotate when they fold, the "open" position of the mirrors could have the cameras fairly close to the angles you'd need for the Autopilot to use them to check the other directions of stop signs and traffic lights for oncoming traffic if it's going to drive autonomously off of the freeway - and you'd only need to be checking there at lower speeds anyway (mostly when stopped, really.)
Walter

I have never sad that the wheelbase wil be shorter than Model S, but I could never get any pictures of the prototype to line up with Model S wheelbase.
All I have tried make it look like the prototype had longer wheelbase than Model S, and Beta now have the same.
Used my own pictures of Prototype, since I had referanse length on them.
So Beta have shorter than Prototype, but same as Model S, and since all Logic tell me that they should share underboddy. ( Production cost lower, with more synergi on parts)