Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHERE is the QA in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our personal sample is only 2, but, I have to agree that quality control at Tesla leaves a lot to be desired. Love the cars, but both cars had minor paint defects that were visible on a quick walk around. There are a host of other issues that the latest car is going in for on Monday. None of the issues are 'tech' related, they are all basic, mechanical issues. Owning a Tesla can be trying at times.

I hear a lot about paint issues... like hairs in the paint/clear coat. Can someone explain that to me? From what I've heard and what I've seen from info videos, they are painted by robots (as one would imagine) and in a clean room. Sooo, the clean room or robots have hair? Stuff like that just doesn't make sense. And if QA sees a blemish in the paint as it rolls off, don't they send it back for repair, repaint, or is it hoped it will pass at delivery or maybe becomes loaner/CPO? :(

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Exterior sheet metal assembly of my 60 is slightly inferior to my last BMW. However both were inferior to the 15 year old CRV that shares the garage. Personally I think many of the problems won't be solved until the second generation car. You have to start with the bones of the car and new sheet metal dies. Short term I agree that employees on the line and inspectors need retraining. I don't think Tesla needs to expand this line anymore. That being the case, they can focus on training. My suggestion would be for Tesla to hire more from the Jananese manufactures and suppliers and listen to them.

Reactions: gabeincal
I hear a lot about paint issues... like hairs in the paint/clear coat. Can someone explain that to me? From what I've heard and what I've seen from info videos, they are painted by robots (as one would imagine) and in a clean room. Sooo, the clean room or robots have hair? Stuff like that just doesn't make sense. And if QA sees a blemish in the paint as it rolls off, don't they send it back for repair, repaint, or is it hoped it will pass at delivery or maybe becomes loaner/CPO? :(

I think a vast majority of owners don't check these cars with a flashlight and a magnifying glass like for example I and some of us on this thread did / do.... But yeah, they might have hairy, drunk robots looking at the paint quality ;)

I think a vast majority of owners don't check these cars with a flashlight and a magnifying glass like for example I and some of us on this thread did / do.... But yeah, they might have hairy, drunk robots looking at the paint quality ;)
I wash my cars by hand and this gives you a good close up of various paint, sheet metal imperfections. After three or so tomes I should have an opinion. My paint job is as good as any I've seen. I agree that hair in paint doesn't come from robots. The paint might have had to be corrected at the factory/ sc.

Reactions: davidc18
As Martin Eberhard, cofounder of the company, said, "Software is easy. Cars are hard."
The company will have a monumental problem if they build the Model 3 as though it were software- pushing out buggy code that gets cleaner on your time and not theirs- and not a car that people's lives and aspirations and egos depend upon.
I do think they understand this. What they will do with that understanding, we will see.
Robin

Well, I wondering if it's always 100% automated since they somehow managed to not paint an area on this car. A robot shouldn't make such a mistake.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1760431/

• Funny
This is true everywhere in any industry for public companies. And this is the reason why all software companies release buggy SW, and car companies try to skim on details. Some more, some less.

My son has an Apple iPhone 7. He constantly loses service connection. Went to Verizon yesterday and it is a known issue that wil "hopefully" be fixed in the next update. 10.3 or something. ( IDK, I like Android) :)
So the great iPhone as we all know still has issues. High-tech is tough to keep up with and I give tesla patience with that.
The misaligned panels etc...... are inexcusable even for this newer, small car company.
The car is so great that most of us here add the " I love my Tesla" despite the issues. :rolleyes:

Well, I wondering if it's always 100% automated since they somehow managed to not paint an area on this car. A robot shouldn't make such a mistake.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1760431/

THAT is freakin amazing. :eek: You're right, that's not a robot goof, unless the software totally glitched and abended. Even so, the robot program/app should have either alerted or recovered and redid the suspect area. Love to hear the excuse for that boo boo. o_O

just as a balance,

Dec 2015 Tesla 85D - 22K miles no. issues. whatsoever
(best car I have owned in this regard, hand cleaned and detailed by me and no worse than other cars I have owned for finish - disappointingly big panel gaps tho)

2013 AMG - replacement turbo required, countless rattles
2011 RS5 - gearbox sw update required and brakes required replacement, was informed by subsquent purchaser that cats failed at 3.5 years old and bits came out of tailpipes cost ~$5K (as a btw a mates RS5 dopped the oil pump and gave him a ~$20K bill for a new engine!)
2010 A5 - dual mass flywheel failed, never diagnosed fuel issue resulting in -20% fuel economy
2008 A5 - drivers seat broke, trim all over the place, paint blistered on wheels, multiple paint errors - shocking, nav broke, heater failed ~+more

I agree that Tesla should be castigated for poor quality, and must get this right consistently, but they aren't the only ones to screw up, even the best of ze Germans can mess up too.

However, In my personal experience my Tesla S has been the best car overall I have owned for finish (if not fit), rattles and reliability.

My November 2015 S85D has had zero problems since delivery. None, nada, zilch. 14,000 miles so far.

What I continue to not understand is WHY QA is not doing a better job at catching issues BEFORE the car leaves the factory? We tend to see the same issues over and over here. I know these forums mostly show the cars with problems as those that have zero probably don't post as much, although I do see a fair amount of them. That said, do they not have some sort of software that tracks the issues found at delivery and provide feedback to the factory to help figure out why the same issues keep occurring?

Reactions: Falkirk