Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to tint ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Search Yelp... look for companies that have a few hundred reviews, and that have 4.5 stars....

I'd also suggest getting a few quotes over the phone. At least down here in Los Angeles, prices are all over the place, and don't necessarily reflect how good of a job the shop will do.

Sorry... as I mentioned, I'm down south so I can't make any referrals.

Good luck!

If you're going to be using a well-known or higher end brand tint, you might want to check the manufacturer's website for authorized installers to help narrow down the search. It's not always guaranteed the installer will be the absolute best in the state but they'll likely do a good job as they have a reputation to uphold with the manufacturer. You can always then cross check that list against social media posts and reviews to be certain.

I used Deluxe Window Tinting. The owner, Albert, responds promptly through yelp and he’s partnered with the Rocklin Tesla SC. He has two locations now, Roseville and Rancho Cordova.

Had Albert do a fantastic ceramic coating on my Model S and went back to tint our Model Y.

Stay away from Imperial Works in Sacramento. Those clowns do shoddy work despite the Porsches parked outside their establishment. Took my Model S there at first but they did sloppy work, didn’t have the tint shades available like they said they do, and left residue all over my seats. I considered having them redo certain windows but decided against it because I didn’t want them touching my car again.

I have used Deluxe Window Tinting on two Teslas and two other Lexuses and will keep going back. Only encountered a minor issue once and Albert offered to make it right to ensure the customer is happy. I encountered another tint shop years ago where the owner didn’t stand behind the warranty work but Albert operates Deluxe Window Tinting with integrity. I know this sounds a lot like advertising but I’m not affiliated to the shop in any way, just simply a happy and repeat customer. Best of luck at wherever you decide to go with.

Reactions: Otter2007
I used Deluxe Window Tinting. The owner, Albert, responds promptly through yelp and he’s partnered with the Rocklin Tesla SC. He has two locations now, Roseville and Rancho Cordova.

Had Albert do a fantastic ceramic coating on my Model S and went back to tint our Model Y.

Stay away from Imperial Works in Sacramento. Those clowns do shoddy work despite the Porsches parked outside their establishment. Took my Model S there at first but they did sloppy work, didn’t have the tint shades available like they said they do, and left residue all over my seats. I considered having them redo certain windows but decided against it because I didn’t want them touching my car again.

I have used Deluxe Window Tinting on two Teslas and two other Lexuses and will keep going back. Only encountered a minor issue once and Albert offered to make it right to ensure the customer is happy. I encountered another tint shop years ago where the owner didn’t stand behind the warranty work but Albert operates Deluxe Window Tinting with integrity. I know this sounds a lot like advertising but I’m not affiliated to the shop in any way, just simply a happy and repeat customer. Best of luck at wherever you decide to go with.
Thank you for such detail review. I did look into Imperial too as there are so many 5 stars reviews and claiming to be expert on Tesla. I’ll definitely look into Delux now. Do you mind sharing your tint shades for your windows and windshield ? Also the brand you choose too ?

Thank you for such detail review. I did look into Imperial too as there are so many 5 stars reviews and claiming to be expert on Tesla. I’ll definitely look into Delux now. Do you mind sharing your tint shades for your windows and windshield ? Also the brand you choose too ?
I did 35% XPEL Prime all around on the Model S and it wasn’t dark enough, especially the rear hatch and you could still see into the trunk area. Imperial first said they could do the roof one piece but midway through the job they told me they didn’t have a big enough 35 film to do the roof so I agreed to one-piece 45 film for the roof.

The Y rear windows and hatch have colored glass (whereas the Model S is clear glass all around). Because of this I kept it all legal with 75% Madico Black Pearl Nano on the Y all around, minus the roof because I saw a video on YouTube that showed the stock Y roof blocks UV and heat just as well as tint. My wife was afraid to drive the S but loves the Y and didn’t want the tint dark. Actually, even 75% over the stock Y rear windows is pretty dark at night.

Hope that all helps. A coworker used Appearance Solutions for window tint and PPF on his Model 3 and was pretty happy with their work too.

Here are examples of how Imperial Works treated my Model S. They didn’t damage it but they’re just unprofessional and sloppy. I brought it to the attention of the owner but he just brushed it off as water or tint solution and didn’t offer to clean it off. I brought them my brand new, clean Model S and they returned it to me dirtier. I was able to clean it all off myself at home but it just left a bad experience. I guess my Model S wasn’t special enough for Imperial Works to care, let alone a Model Y. Tesla experts…right.

5E4C840A-FA3C-4A75-82C3-709E11EEE672.jpeg
6BA3EB58-EB8C-4E6F-A545-925BB647A0F0.jpeg

Last edited:
I did 35% XPEL Prime all around on the Model S and it wasn’t dark enough, especially the rear hatch and you could still see into the trunk area. Imperial first said they could do the roof one piece but midway through the job they told me they didn’t have a big enough 35 film to do the roof so I agreed to one-piece 45 film for the roof.

The Y rear windows and hatch have colored glass (whereas the Model S is clear glass all around). Because of this I kept it all legal with 75% Madico Black Pearl Nano on the Y all around, minus the roof because I saw a video on YouTube that showed the stock Y roof blocks UV and heat just as well as tint. My wife was afraid to drive the S but loves the Y and didn’t want the tint dark. Actually, even 75% over the stock Y rear windows is pretty dark at night.

Hope that all helps. A coworker used Appearance Solutions for window tint and PPF on his Model 3 and was pretty happy with their work too.

Here are examples of how Imperial Works treated my Model S. They didn’t damage it but they’re just unprofessional and sloppy. I brought it to the attention of the owner but he just brushed it off as water or tint solution and didn’t offer to clean it off. I brought them my brand new, clean Model S and they returned it to me dirtier. I was able to clean it all off myself at home but it just left a bad experience. I guess my Model S wasn’t special enough for Imperial Works to care, let alone a Model Y. Tesla experts…right.

View attachment 773951View attachment 773952
Wow and i was actually considering going for imperial with their hella high price tag. Thank you for such nice detailed review :)

Wow and i was actually considering going for imperial with their hella high price tag. Thank you for such nice detailed review :)
I don’t know what Imperial charges now but I paid $970 back in 2019 for four windows, rear hatch, and roof glass on the S. I could have taken it to several other shops for less and better quality.

The Model Y was $350 for four windows and hatch, but no roof glass and no windshield. What I like about Deluxe Window Tint is they have a livestream camera of them working on your car and it’s broadcast on a TV in the waiting area so you can keep an eye on the work and progress.

Before you take it to any place, make sure to take some “before” photos or video of the windows and interior of doors. This will help if the shop, even reputable ones, make a mistake or accidentally damage something. Makes it easier to determine if a defect was already there before the shop touched the car or not. Best of luck!

I wasn't happy with Imperial Works either. There were scratches on one windows tint so I brought it back and there were still a couple after the re application. It was minor so I gave up but I won't be going there anymore.

Took my Model 3 into Genesis in Roseville and they did a great job. Tint all around including the windshield. Will go back with my MYP when it shows up.

I also recommend Genesis. They did a great job on my tint. If you just want to match the reads it's 25 front and 70 rears. I personally would go a little darker if I could do it again 20/50. The rears are just dyed no uv protection.

View attachment 773951View attachment 773952
Do you happen to know how much Appearance charge your coworker? I just got quoted $1500 for all around glasses, including sunroof, from Appearance.

I just got mine done yesterday at Jetblack tint. they have shops all over the Bay Area. Jet Black Tint - 5-Star Bay-Area Window Tinting
I paid $329+tax for front two windows (20%) and front windshield (50%).
+1 for jet black.

Ive taken two Model S's to them. The one in Fairfield specifically. They did great on the first car. The second one on 3 out of 4 of the windows the tint did not stick well so they redid them for free under warranty. Very professional and cant beat the price.

Do you happen to know how much Appearance charge your coworker? I just got quoted $1500 for all around glasses, including sunroof, from Appearance.
My buddy paid $950 for tint (including windshield and roof with XPEL Prime XR Plus on his Model 3. This was back in late 2018 or early 2019. Appearance Solutions must have been better than other shops at the time considering there were many reports of fried circuit boards from water dripping beneath the dash during windshield tinting. Buddy never had any issues though.

Keep in mind my buddy also paid $6K to Appearance Solutions for full exterior PPF, some interior PPF, seat protection, painted calipers, and ceramic coating on wheels and calipers, so they gave him a discount on all the window tint.

Last edited:
I’m also considering Genesis too. Do you tint your sunroof ? If not, does it get hot inside when you drive out or park outside?

No I didn't tint the roof, the roof is 5% from the factory and already has uv blocking. So I didn't want to make it darker and the glass hotter to reduce it from cracking.

With that info though, I decided to save the money.

So far it doesn't get hot but it's still winter.

I had my Model Y tinted with 50% on the front and limo in the back. Also tinted the top and rear window for $850. Just didn't do the windshield.

These guys do a great job in Concord:

They also use 3M and register your tints with 3M.

+1 for jet black.

Ive taken two Model S's to them. The one in Fairfield specifically. They did great on the first car. The second one on 3 out of 4 of the windows the tint did not stick well so they redid them for free under warranty. Very professional and cant beat the price.
-1 for jet black. Fremont location specifically. They scratched the outside of my windshield on my brand new model S. The price was cheap but I learned a hard lesson not to skimp when sharp knives are involved.