Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where was Tesla automatic emergency braking in this 60mph crash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car doesn't even have autopilot enabled but the other day, someone maneuvered in front of me such that the forward collision warning was activated (it's on medium, I think the default). Even if I had been asleep, that sound would have gotten my attention but quick.

It's odd to think that the AP doesn't have whatever sensors active that that klaxxon-like alert made use of ...

Sorry to hijack this (old) conversation, but I have some specific questions for you (Msjulie) b/c your Model 3 does NOT have autopilot. I’m a res holder and trying to determine if it’s worth my $5k for autopilot (del est late this year, so I have lots of time to go back and forth!). I’m specifically curious about what features ARE included even in cars without Autopilot activated. Seems you have forward collision warning, and I’m fairly certain AEB is standard on all Teslas. What about things like Blind Spot Monitoring, Lane Departure Warning, and reverse park assist (my name for those beeping sounds you get when backing up when you are getting too close to something)? Finally, what is the “normal” cruise control like on your non-Autopilot Model 3? Is it standard cruise you would find on any car in the 1990s or does it have any advanced functionality at all?

Thanks in advance for your help! (And of course anyone else who wants to chime in feel free)

The car beeps like crazy forward or backing-in parking if something(s) are too close, so it does have those warnings. Those lines are in red and they accompany a distance in inches. When my care demands STOP before hitting the garage door, it's about 12" away I think, or a little less.

Backup camera with guidelines also gets a symphony of sound backing out of my driveway because there are bushes lining it and I park close on the pass side to give more space on driver's side.

When driving, it has the same little Tesla in a lane with little rounded warning lines at each corner, dim when it's just "there's a curb there" and more yellow when you're too close. It is not, however, the same as our Audi eTron which has warning lamps on the mirrors and light up when someone is coming up from behind on the pass side. So I guess it doesn't have, or I don't know how to use, blind spot monitoring. I don't think it does lane departure either. It does have auto braking I believe but luckily I've never tested that feature.

Cruise is the sore point for me but not because it's not smart ( I don't think it is ) but because to adjust it I have to take my hand all the way up to the screen and zero in on a tiny +/- button. Sigh. Had hoped the right spinner button would have gotten more use but so far nothing suggests that enhancement

What I miss, but never have owned (had a number of loaner S's) would be traffic aware cruise but even more just a reasonably safe way to adjust it..

cheers

update:
Tesla Model 3 gets more useful Autopilot controls with steering wheel scrolls/buttons on latest update

So it seems my wish is waiting on the tesla update process... fingers crossed

Last edited:

I've read the system filters stationary objects out to avoid reacting to its surroundings. A vehicle directly in front of you that slows suddenly will trigger it every time. However, one would think that a stationary object approaching from directly in the path would not be filtered out.