Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which battery powers the trunk 12 Volt plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I have a few questions about the 12-Volt plugs in the Model X.
  1. I believe the 12-Volt plug in the trunk of the Model X is powered by the main battery but I want to double check. Does anyone know if it is for sure?
  2. Can both 12-volt plugs (Trunk & cigarette lighter) be used at the same time without issue?
  3. Can the 12-volt plug be used for long periods of time without issue? Hours and hours
Thanks in Advance

Hello All,

I have a few questions about the 12-Volt plugs in the Model X.
  1. I believe the 12-Volt plug in the trunk of the Model X is powered by the main battery but I want to double check. Does anyone know if it is for sure?
  2. Can both 12-volt plugs (Trunk & cigarette lighter) be used at the same time without issue?
  3. Can the 12-volt plug be used for long periods of time without issue? Hours and hours
Thanks in Advance

From what I understand, all the car's electronics are powered from the 12-volt. I.e. the locks/doors/FWDs, 12 volt plugs (both), display units, lights, LTE, etc. That is just how it works and is designed which is typical.

The 12 volt will discharge over time in hours if you are heavily using it but it should get recharged by the main battery as needed. Being lead acid they can be deeply discharged fine but don't last nearly as many full cycles on lithium ion, thus may require replacement more often if you tax that battery more. Just the car alone using them is an issue compared to ICE cars that use them a bit less, or it was a couple years ago...

Reactions: de704
Ok thanks,

I had a call into Tesla & they just called back and confirmed that the only thing the main pack does is move the wheels like a gas tank (for lack of a better analogy).

The 12 volt powers everything else including the doors,screen, USB and 12-volt plugs.