Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which cable to use at Supercharger in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

At our Superchargers in Europe, we have 2 cables. Which one should I use with my Tesla Model 3 Highland? I had an issue where I couldnt plug in the left cable, while the right one was OK. I tried changing stations, and it was the same - the Type 2 didnt go in, while CCS worked. Is this an issue that I need to take to service repair?
1718028825883.png

The plug on the left is actually a modified Type 2 for older Tesla Model S/X only. It won't fit. There are some plastic lugs at the top/middle to prevent it. This allows DC charging through pins that a Type 2 normally uses for AC. You will only use Type 2 for AC charging, not DC.

The plug on the right is CCS2 for all modern Teslas (and most other EV's). The top portion of it is Type 2 with the AC pins missing, because we are DC charging, which uses the lower two pins. So it doesn't look like the right plug, but it is.

Clear as mud? This is what happens when someone has the cheek to start building electric cars before the IEC sets out standards... ;)

Last edited:
The plug on the left is actually a modified Type 2 for older Tesla Model S/X only. It won't fit. There are some plastic lugs at the top/middle to prevent it. This allows DC charging through pins that a Type 2 normally uses for AC. You will only use Type 2 for AC charging, not DC.

The plug on the right is CCS2 for all modern Teslas (and most other EV's). The top portion of it is Type 2 with the AC pins missing, because we are DC charging, which uses the lower two pins. So it doesn't look like the right plug, but it is.

Clear as mud? This is what happens when someone has the cheek to start building electric cars before the IEC sets out standards... ;)
thanks for clear clarification!!

Wish it would say on supercharger itself, but couldnt find info on there. And Tesla manual did mention the types of chargers, but at least I havent found any example pictures.

I thought the more “compact” one is the new, hence I wrongly tried to use that 🙈

Thanks again. So CCS2 all the way!