Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to change a basic Supercharging design?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone from Houston it doesn't shock me at all that someone stole the charging cables from 18 of 19 Superchargers in Montrose. Nobody seems 100% sure if this was a copper theft or an anti-EV action.

BUT - my question is this: is it time to take the cables off of EV chargers in America?

In other countries the driver has to supply their own charging cable - the dispenser provides just a port to plug into. Should Tesla move this way in the US, too?

I can see how this might also resolve the non-Tesla "cord is too short" issues that result in double parking spots being taken by non-Teslas while charging. Just have a long enough cable in your car.

Is it time to change a basic Supercharger design?

You are incorrect. There is no country where DC charging cables have to be supplied by the consumer - the driver.

Reactions: Chris Barnes
Another anti-cable theft technology is induction wireless charging.

Currently, it's about 20kW, but the experimental speed could be 100kW.

Michigan has a 1-mile-long Wireless Charging Roadway. It'll be hard for a cable thief to dig up the road!
Assuming you're referring to the induction coils in the ground under the car, that will give 50% transfer efficiency at best. That's fine for charging a phone where you may waste 20 watts of power but when we're talking KW, the cost starts adding up quickly.
That's also a very strong magnetic field. Don't count on your credit card swipes working after standing near one in operation.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
What EV models can charge inductively?
No mainstream models can from the factory today, but there are aftermarket add-on solutions available for several. And Tesla had recently acquired a wireless charging company (and then for some reason sold it ???) Tesla sells its recently acquired wireless charging company
Maybe they harvested it for IP / people?

Wireless charging is an excellent solution for L2 public or streetside charging applications where charging pedestals would be problematic to install, or where vandalism or other restrictions might be an issue. And while you can get reasonably high power transfer wirelessly, I don't really see it getting into the DC fast charging realm, and certainly not to the 250-350kW range that Supercharger and other ultra-fast DC fastchargers occupy, serving the road trip need. That said, if there were more wireless infrastructure in place (in condo parking lots for example), perhaps there would be less need for Superchargers to serve local users, shifting to focus to road trip use cases where the chargers would be located in more secure areas.

I don't really see it getting into the DC fast charging realm, and certainly not to the 250-350kW range that Supercharger and other ultra-fast DC fastchargers occupy, serving the road trip need.

From the WiTricity FAQ:

How much power can be transferred?
The technology scales from miliwatts to megawatts. Our industrial licensee partners provide 1kw- 3kw-30kw wireless charging systems, while EV licensee partners provide 3kw, 6kw, 11kw systems. WiTricity's wireless charging products can scale up to 450kw.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple companies with wireless charging solutions that go into the 200+ kW range.

Here is another company that claims that they have up to 450kW solutions:

Bjorn even has a video of testing their solution in a public install.

While the OP has confused level 2 charging cables with DC Fast, it's not out of the question to make a cable which did liquid cooling and plugged in. It would not be easy, you would need to get a good and verified coupling on the cooling fluid link and it might not be worth it. And overall, you would do this only if you absolutely had to, because it's hard and it's expensive. There are many more cars than charging stations, so making every car carry its own large fat expensive cable is not at all economical. And an inferior experience.

Retractable cables make more sense. Though even with those, people might take an axe to the station to get it out which makes it even worse. They might have to retract into an axe-proof box. No, people need not be afraid of electrocution. EV charging systems never send power until a communications link has been established with the vehicle. I doubt Tesla SC send any power to the red stall before a car is solidly plugged in, not just to the cable.

One approach used it retractable cables that descend from poles in the sky. Then the thief has to climb the pole, and break open the secured box on top of the pole. Not worth it, one hopes.

One approach used it retractable cables that descend from poles in the sky. Then the thief has to climb the pole, and break open the secured box on top of the pole. Not worth it, one hopes.
The City of Seattle has/had a program to install those on neighborhood power poles when requested, I thought they looked like a great plan but I have yet to see one when driving in the city.

Attachments

• 5CC513D3-5C52-4C8B-BB0C-0F6C54DCB9C9.png
    5CC513D3-5C52-4C8B-BB0C-0F6C54DCB9C9.png
    631.7 KB · Views: 5
No, people need not be afraid of electrocution. EV charging systems never send power until a communications link has been established with the vehicle.
And from the example shared earlier, it appears that the Tesla safety protection systems are good enough that even cutting a cable while it is powered isn't fatal. (It did make for a nice shower of sparks though.) Or they were using well insulated cutters.

You are still holding onto the good old days numbers.

"Wireless charging for EVs is considered as efficient and fast as charging with a plug. For example, most EV plugs have 80-95 percent efficiency ratings. According to WiTricity, a leading provider, their wireless EV chargers achieve 90-93 percent efficiency."
enjoy the koolaid.

WiTricity is trying to get OEMs to integrate their solution.
Business case: get a bunch of suckers to invest a lot of $$$ in supporting your snake oil. Hope they'll protect you so they won't look bad for making the bad investment.