Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Which car next?

What car should I lease?

• 2021 Model X LR

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 2021 Model Y LR

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other brand EV

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
The lease is up on my X75 in June and I need to make a decision very soon on the next car to lease. The current car is 5 seater and that is fine sizewise. 99% of the time it is 2 or less in the car. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR to drive while awaiting the new car, so delivery time is not a huge factor.

I like the ride of the X over the Y but wondering if there are other factors I should consider. And with the EV competition in the CUV/SUV section getting fierce, maybe I should look at other brands.

For me it is not the car, as much as the infrastructure that supports it in terms of charging. I do enjoy our 2019 Raven, warts and all, but since we use it a lot for travel, it is the SC network that makes the deal for me. Yes, I know there is a huge effort to "Electrify America", but it is a pittance compared to Tesla, and if you read some of the charging difficulties non Tesla owners face, I will stick with Tesla. Others also seem to struggle with anything related to OTA, (Over The Air), updates that Tesla seems to have down to a science, perhaps too much! I have struggled with Porsche for 3 years now on an OTA issue on my Macan, that is still not resolved for example. It is one of the reasons I am staying away from the Taycan, as well as the charging issue. If you are the type of user that just plugs their vehicle into a level 2 each night, does very little travel than I suspect your reasoning may be different.

DCGOO

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
The lease is up on my X75 in June and I need to make a decision very soon on the next car to lease. The current car is 5 seater and that is fine sizewise. 99% of the time it is 2 or less in the car. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR to drive while awaiting the new car, so delivery time is not a huge factor.

I like the ride of the X over the Y but wondering if there are other factors I should consider. And with the EV competition in the CUV/SUV section getting fierce, maybe I should look at other brands.

One factor you will have to consider is availability. I really doubt you will be able get an X by June. Estimated first deliveries is now July

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
We lease our X through September 2022. I have a CT reservation (day 2). I admit that I also looked at the Rivian R1S lately. It's more SUVish and has a nice high clearance. The good news is that I have a year before I make a decision, and we'll have a better clue as to Rivian and CT perform in the real world then. If nothing strikes your fancy now, you could always extend your lease by another 6 months, and wait til year end to decide.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
One factor you will have to consider is availability. I really doubt you will be able get an X by June. Estimated first deliveries is now July
Not an issue. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR we hardly drive. We put 1800 miles on it since January 2020, and we have work from home for 5 years.

Also, worried about the number of posts about booming interior noises and lack of heat in the Y. Of course, I assume the new X will have a heat pump also, so the heat problem when skiing may be an issue with both the X and Y.

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
Not an issue. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR we hardly drive. We put 1800 miles on it since January 2020, and we have work from home for 5 years.

Also, worried about the number of posts about booming interior noises and lack of heat in the Y. Of course, I assume the new X will have a heat pump also, so the heat problem when skiing may be an issue with both the X and Y.

Does the Y have a back up coil heater for when the temps are too low outside?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC