Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Car to Take on Trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon I'll be taking a trip from California to Denver. I'd like your thoughts on which car to take on this trip.

Note that Tessie is 2.5% more efficient than Nick (Nick has a roof rack). Nick shows a range of 279 miles when I charge to 100%. Tessie shows 270 miles when charged to 100%.

Tessie doesn't have Enhanced Autopilot, but I could subscribe to it for the month. Tessie is quieter and feels more luxurious to drive.

Which car would you take?

I've made that trip (from Sonoma County to Denver) 3 times so far to visit our Daughter, but never in winter.
I'd certainly bias toward the LR for reduced charging time in addition to AWD in winter.
Down side is the 2020 won't have the heat pump, so I'd expect more power to keep warm.
As a side note, if your up for a side trip we took a down day in Wyoming on the 2nd trip to circumnavigated Flaming gorge, but again that was not winter.

Soon I'll be taking a trip from California to Denver. I'd like your thoughts on which car to take on this trip.
Which car would you take?

Whichever one has snow tires!

Note that Tessie is 2.5% more efficient than Nick (Nick has a roof rack). Nick shows a range of 279 miles when I charge to 100%. Tessie shows 270 miles when charged to 100%.

All irrelevant, since you wont see anything resembling those estimates driving on highways in sub-freezing temps.
Roof rack is removable, so don't take it into the account.

Tessie doesn't have Enhanced Autopilot, but I could subscribe to it for the month. Tessie is quieter and feels more luxurious to drive.

Your car names are all weird.
Take whichever car has the tires that will keep you on the road.
The rest is optional!

AWD. Right, didn't think of that (smacks forehead). Will take Nick. Thanks all.

AWD helps you get going faster, and run out of talent at higher speed.
AWD does NOTHING to slow you down, help you complete the turn on the asphalt, or to otherwise keep you on the road!

a

Whichever one has snow tires!

All irrelevant, since you wont see anything resembling those estimates driving on highways in sub-freezing temps.
Roof rack is removable, so don't take it into the account.

Take whichever car has the tires that will keep you on the road.
The rest is optional!

AWD helps you get going faster, and run out of talent at higher speed.
AWD does NOTHING to slow you down, help you complete the turn on the asphalt, or to otherwise keep you on the road!

a

AWD is much much better than RWD on all seasons. I lived in the snow belt for years and RWD definitely needs snow tires to be safe. Assuming the OP only has all-seasons considering he's in California.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
AWD is much much better than RWD on all seasons.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing from the guys standing on the side of the the road, with their AWD SUVs stuck in the ditch.

I lived in the snow belt for years and RWD definitely needs snow tires to be safe.

All cars need snow tires if you live in the snow belt. No exceptions.
ASSuming that AWD will help you in the snow will only lead to MORE accidents.
AWD will help you get going faster in a slippery environment, which will only make it that much HARDER to stop or make that turn. AWD does nothing to add traction - all of that is achieved between the tire and the road. And if you are approaching threshold of tire traction in icy/snowy conditions, you need a better tire. MORE speed is the opposite of what you want!

a

P.S.: This coming form a guy who has lived in NE for the last 15+ years, driving threw 1+ feet of snow with RWD, FWD, and AWD cars.
P.P.S.: Given a choice, 100% of the time I pick the car with the best tires for the job first (e.g.: best winter tires), and drive train second (whatever-wheel-drive).

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing from the guys standing on the side of the the road, with their AWD SUVs stuck in the ditch.

All cars need snow tires if you live in the snow belt. No exceptions.
ASSuming that AWD will help you in the snow will only lead to MORE accidents.
AWD will help you get going faster in a slippery environment, which will only make it that much HARDER to stop or make that turn. AWD does nothing to add traction - all of that is achieved between the tire and the road. And if you are approaching threshold of tire traction in icy/snowy conditions, you need a better tire. MORE speed is the opposite of what you want!

AWD with all-seasons are doable in snowy weather. It sucks but if you lived there, you know not to drive like a moron in snow. Most people I knew never did switch to snow tires...they just rely on the AWD. I'm not saying its a good idea, but thats just how people were especially if they didn't have a garage or income challenged.

Conversely, RWD on all-seasons is pretty entertaining...until you slide and hit the curb. 😁

Nick did great. We had a lot of sketchy snow and ice driving in both directions. I80 was closed for a while in Wyoming. Had the wind blow us sideways at one point.

Bought Autosocks on the way out and needed them on the way back.

20230116_112340.jpg

20230116_101711.jpg

? Nick for Nikola Tesla. Tessie for Tesla.

The autosocks are interesting.. hadn’t seen those before, so thanks for sharing that.

Reactions: Sambub