Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Comes First - AP Lane Keeping or P85D Ludicrous Upgrade

Which comes first?

• AP w/ Lane Keeping

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Ludy Upgrade

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This poll is missing the option "will I still care by the time either is available"?
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw neither for the Model S this year.
Let's hope they are still redoing the UI for 7.0
I think a better third option would be, "Tesla announces yet another cool, revolutionary function that will be available on an unspecified delivery date."

This poll is missing the option "will I still care by the time either is available"?
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw neither for the Model S this year.
Let's hope they are still redoing the UI for 7.0

Droves of former Tesla fans will flee Tesla for the competitors, going back to their no autopilot rumbly, slow, and expensive noise-machines!

I think that may just a little bit of an overreaction. Even if Tesla takes another two years, they'll still have no competition close by.

Others have said, and I agree, that Tesla simply can not ship MX to "normal" non-sig customers without AP. It would be a huge hit to credibility and the press will not give them a free pass if they try the "soon" stuff. Given that Ludi is already shipping in production cars, they can afford to slip the small number of us that have been grandfathered in as they are doing us a "favor" (and yes, I actually do believe they did me a favor by giving me a path to Ludi my car at some undetermined point in the future).

I would read the Sig configuration page as AP shipping with MX. Anyone else have an opinion here?
Model X Configuration has begun!

Last edited:
They really are working on the charging snake!
Yeah, I had mixed reactions to that. On the one hand, you'd prefer to see those resources dedicated to something more practical like, I dunno, products and services that people have already paid for but have yet not received. On the other hand, Tesla invents cool $hit doing things their way. And who am I to tell Pablo Picasso how and what to paint? If I wanted paint by numbers I'd buy a Chevy.

Others have said, and I agree, that Tesla simply can not ship MX to "normal" non-sig customers without AP. It would be a huge hit to credibility and the press will not give them a free pass if they try the "soon" stuff.

I don't disagree with that.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be ready for our Model Ss. I'm sure they'd like it to be, but I'm also sure they would have liked it to be ready months ago.

If I have learned anything in the last 26 months of being a Tesla owner... it's a) it takes longer then promised b) don't trust any dates they tell you c) it takes longer than even the most pessimistic people think is reasonable.
What was shipped in Firmware 6.1 in early 2015 was announced as "in two month" in November 2013. Center console. Torque sleep.
So no, I have no expectation to see either of these two options in 2015. I could be wrong. I'm often wrong. But I don't expect to be wrong. :)

If I have learned anything in the last 26 months of being a Tesla owner... it's a) it takes longer then promised b) don't trust any dates they tell you c) it takes longer than even the most pessimistic people think is reasonable.
What was shipped in Firmware 6.1 in early 2015 was announced as "in two month" in November 2013. Center console. Torque sleep.
So no, I have no expectation to see either of these two options in 2015. I could be wrong. I'm often wrong. But I don't expect to be wrong. :)

Torque Sleep was actually the exception.

It wasn't in our cars at delivery, but we didn't know that for quite a while. Eventually there was a blog post in late December 2014 that said we'd have it by the end of January 2015. And then we did, in fact have it by very early February, so it was just a few days later than the "promised" date, once we knew it was missing. And even if you consider it late from the date of the first deliveries, it was still only about two months late.

In other words, if everything Tesla announced was only as late as Torque Sleep, I think we'd all be deliriously happy!