Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which CPO Should I Buy? Between these two...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ahusrt, for that price you should seriously consider a new inventory vehicle. You will get it in 2-weeks (or less), it will have the full 8-yrs battery/motor warranty, w/AP2 and new interior/exterior, and you will get the tax credits. You can get an inventory vehicle from out of state for an additional $2K, or fly one way to pick-up your new baby.

I was in the same place as you Dec 1st 2016 and ended up with a new MS on Dec 28th in my garage :)

Reactions: David29
ahusrt, for that price you should seriously consider a new inventory vehicle. You will get it in 2-weeks (or less), it will have the full 8-yrs battery/motor warranty, w/AP2 and new interior/exterior, and you will get the tax credits. You can get an inventory vehicle from out of state for an additional $2K, or fly one way to pick-up your new baby.

I was in the same place as you Dec 1st 2016 and ended up with a new MS on Dec 28th in my garage :)

This a bit of a price gap between a CPO and an tax-credited inventory car with the options I want.

The more expensive and lower mileage version is better value *if* you want those added options:

glass roof
CF interior
3rd row child abuse seating
dual chargers
premium interior

The added features as options in 2014 would have added about $10K so they really are being fair with the pricing. They should both have red calipers (not listed in the first car).

As for it being "comparable to new'...not really. New would be a P100D and optioned like this it will set you back around $160K.

I have a 2014 P85D in Black...gotta say that I am REALLY impressed with the way it wears. If you see it needing restoration its thick enough for an all out professional paint restoration - that would set you back about $1500.00. Alternatively, if you're that picky, option for new...but for the equivalent car expect to pay double. Swirl marks come out...even some chips. The right paint restorer can make it look better than new.

They should both have red calipers (not listed in the first car).

Just because they are P85Ds, doesnt mean you can be certain they have the red brake calipers. I opted to go with the standard colored gray on my P85D, as I thought the red calipers would look strange on a blue car.

If the color of the calipers is important to the OP, he should get confirmation.

Just because they are P85Ds, doesnt mean you can be certain they have the red brake calipers. I opted to go with the standard colored gray on my P85D, as I thought the red calipers would look strange on a blue car.

If the color of the calipers is important to the OP, he should get confirmation.

Well, let me re-phrase. They came standard as red but the original owner might have opted out - I don't think this happened all that much. Its a 2000.00 option to have it done.

Yes thanks. I've seen those. My dilemma now is whether to go P85D or 90D.
Both are same price range, but 90D's newer with fewer miles.
P85D's have greater discounts, but that might just mean they were priced too high by Tesla as new.

With that answer it sounds like you haven't driven either one (or at least a P85D). While the specification seems insignificant the performance of the P85D is a completely different feeling. You'll know it when you drive it and then you'll have a decision on your hands.

The trouble for me was once I drove the performance version, everything else felt like it was broken.

Last edited:
With that answer it sounds like you haven't driven either one. While the specification seems insignificant the performance of the P85D is a completely different feeling. You'll know it when you drive it and then you'll have a decision on your hands.

Yes, I've test driven so many I've lost count. The 0-60 is definitely an eye-opener, but I've never felt too much difference in freeway passing power, which matters more to me. There is a $13k delta between a CPO 90D and P90D...debating this.