Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which is faster, new Model S Performance or Model 3 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay made you look, but I'm contemplating trading in my Tesla Model 3 Performance for a new ('21) Model S Performance and wondering which car is faster.

I know the Model SP is faster in a perfect situation but how about on the real world streets, traffic light run? I.e. Without engaging Ludicrous mode or setting up Cheetah mode.

Is a Model 3P, with always on performance, faster if the Model SP hasn't engage Ludicrous or is Model SP fast all the time?

Thanks for the feedback, but are you saying that Ludicrous mode can be left on all the time without having to heat the battery or do anything before a launch? I'm assuming a real-world Model 3P will 0-60 in 3.2s and 1/4 mile in mid 11's.

Yes, Ludicrous can be left on, at least in my 2017. There is a max power mode called Ludicrous Plus that heats the battery and allows launch mode, and that has to be turned on and takes anywhere from 15-45 minutes to heat the battery (that I've seen). Personally I think Plus can be felt immediately, maybe it is just a placebo effect but it feels stronger to me. I plan on taking it to the track soon, hopefully I can have some solid numbers and not just 'the feels' LOL!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, but are you saying that Ludicrous mode can be left on all the time without having to heat the battery or do anything before a launch? I'm assuming a real-world Model 3P will 0-60 in 3.2s and 1/4 mile in mid 11's.
Yes, Ludicrous mode can be left on at all times. It is Ludicrous+ mode that requires battery heating. Ludicrous+ is what makes the car do 0-60 in 2.3s whereas always on capable regular Ludicrous mode probably does somewhere under 3s. Performance Model S is faster than model 3 Performance. Also newer 2020 or 2021 model S handles much better and tighter than older generation model S. So schedule a rest drive and check it out

Reactions: byeLT4
In 2016, I needed a bigger car than the Roadster and the 3 wasn't available yet, so I went shopping for a "temporary" inventory S. I would have been happy with a stripped RWD 60 (my wife had a loaded S85). It turned out, oh darn, that the cheapest car they had for lease for 2 years was a Ludicrous P90D. (Because it had been a demo car for a year, and had the old nose cone, and they were two days from introducing the P100D). I figured I'd drive it with Ludicrous off for the first year, then turn it on for the second year so I could get a "new" car when I turned it on.

That plan lasted halfway home (so about 5 miles). I turned Ludicrous on just to try it, and never turned it off for the remaining 35,000 miles I owned the car. Wow.

So, yeah, there's no reason you can't leave Ludicrous on all the time.

To get a sense of real world acceleration in a car, 0-60 isn’t always the best thing to look at because it involves a lot of launch variables.

Instead, check out 5-60 times (a.k.a. a rolling start). So, that’s the data to get from the two cars. Most car mags include this info when they test a car.