Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which M3 shape would you buy when it is released?

Which M3 shape would you buy when it is released?

• Liftback sedan (MS style)

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • Liftback CUV/SUV (MX style) + 3-4" height

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Estate wagon (similar to Volvo V40/Audi Avant/etc)

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • I want something different..!

Votes: 14 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a flame, but what's the appeal of a coupe? Any reason other than style?

You get extra long doors that are harder to open in a parking space, greater likelihood of door dinging someone, limited access to the back seat, less utility, etc.

I don't get it. I should add that I own 2 coupes (911 & Mini).

Further to tga - a coupe is not really a coupe unless it is lighter; nimbler; lower (?); shorter...............Or what's the point?

The rear seats will almost by definition be tighter with less legroom so a 2+2.

The shorter wheelbase to give crisper handling/sportier looks will reduce the battery capacity unless the skateboard is also wider (good for a 'sporty' coupe)

So this is a major re-design with limited appeal (although it does carry cache for the company) which I can't imagine is what Tesla needs at the this point in their history - and it will cost.....

I'd rather see a two-door full four seat cabriolet which could use most/more of the base car.

tga: I absolutely hate the B-Pillar in sedans. I have long legs. To sit comfortably, I have to put the seat as far back as possible. In a sedan, this places the b-pillar immediately to my left. So, to check traffic before changing lanes, I must constantly lean forward, or stretch backward to see around the B-Pillar. That has gotten worse in the past 25 years, because B-Pillars have grown larger with changing safety regulations for side impact.

In the good old days, B-Pillars could be eliminated entirely:
4956365592_f0cf96f982_o.jpg

It isn't very likely that will happen any longer. But if I get to drive a coupe, at least the B-Pillar is moved further away from my immediate peripheral vision, making it easier to manage lane changes.

If a Model ≡ Coupe has Falcon Wing Doors, that makes it that much more special. Because my rear seat passengers would have an easier time of entry/exit, and I don't have to worry about door dings. Plus, it will look really cool!

Sunlight: The first car I ever bought new was the 1990 Honda Accord Coupe. It was basically identical to the Sedan version in dimensions. So there was no loss of legroom, headroom, comfort... I would expect the same of a Model ≡ Coupe. It would NOT be a 2+2, or require amputations below the knee, or above the neck. The Sedan, and later Wagon, versions of the Accord were certainly better for anyone having to wrangle children in and out of child booster seats, of course. But for young, active adults, a Coupe is just fine. Keep in mind, that 25 years later, most people think I'm at least 20 years younger than I am...

Last edited:
RedSage - is that emotionally or physically??! (the 20 yrs bit..)

Just jesting!

I don't 'get' wanting to have two doors (and the inconvenience) and a coupe outline UNLESS you get all the other benefits too (shorter crisper lighter quicker) - although the point about the B-pillars is valid

tga: I absolutely hate the B-Pillar in sedans. I have long legs. To sit comfortably, I have to put the seat as far back as possible. In a sedan, this places the b-pillar immediately to my left. So, to check traffic before changing lanes, I must constantly lean forward, or stretch backward to see around the B-Pillar. That has gotten worse in the past 25 years, because B-Pillars have grown larger with changing safety regulations for side impact.

In the good old days, B-Pillars could be eliminated entirely:
Good point, though I doubt that Bel-Air has much roll-over protection, in addition to side impact.

Interesting that you mention that. I generally drive with the seat all the way back, but I've never had an issue with the B-pillar in my view. But now that you've planted that in my brain...

I would rather a sedan which is something along the lines of the BMW 3 Series that TM wants to compete against.

I expect Tesla will continue with the hatch back like the Model S since it is so much more versatile than a sedan. I haven't owed a sedan for over 25 years.
If the Model 3 comes out with only a sedan model I will have to seriously reconsider buying it.
My son's first car was a sedan and it didn't take him long to realize what a pain it was to carry much of anything. It was gone after a couple of years.

Not a flame, but what's the appeal of a coupe? Any reason other than style?

You get extra long doors that are harder to open in a parking space, greater likelihood of door dinging someone, limited access to the back seat, less utility, etc.

I don't get it. I should add that I own 2 coupes (911 & Mini).

1. Rarely, if ever have more than 1 passenger in car.
2. Styling. I like the look of a two door coupe.
3. I love the long doors. I am a big guy.

I think the 20% smaller sedan is where it's going to stay. I have to imagine that the model 3 won't have multiple options for body styles. Too complicated. I believe TM will produce an amazing 35K vehicle, but that's all it's going to be, adding any option to it gets you that much closer to buying a used model S.
should we all assume that we are going to only get what 35K can buy?

Well, Elon has confirmed that the car announced March 2016 will be a $35k sedan. Doesn't mean that there won't be other cars based on the same platform (probably a CUV and the 2019 Roadster). The $35k pricepoint seems to be the base price for the sedan. Adding options will of course increase the price, but I still think you'll get a great car for $35k.

Well, Elon has confirmed that the car announced March 2016 will be a $35k sedan. Doesn't mean that there won't be other cars based on the same platform (probably a CUV and the 2019 Roadster). The $35k pricepoint seems to be the base price for the sedan. Adding options will of course increase the price, but I still think you'll get a great car for $35k.

That doesnt mean he wont surprise us with something more.
Tesla is still a start up compared to the big automakers. They need to give people more in order to make them move away from other makers. Especially if they all start to offer electrics too. IF you had BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, GM, all offering affordable, well made electric cars, wouldn't you be more likely to buy from them? All well established manufacturers with large networks across the globe? (making it easier to get after sales care)

I left out Nissan on purpose because as we know they are launching the next gen leaf around the same time as the M3, and that car could take away a lot of business from tesla. Lets not forget that the first gen leaf is still one of the best selling electrics out there.

I left out Nissan on purpose because as we know they are launching the next gen leaf around the same time as the M3, and that car could take away a lot of business from tesla. Lets not forget that the first gen leaf is still one of the best selling electrics out there.
If the new Leaf is still a "weirdmobile", I don't expect it to steal many sales from the Model 3. Even if both cars have similar range, the M3 will be a better car in every way (certainly in the design).

I know several people (myself included) who won't buy a Leaf, regardless of its range, because it is so darned weird looking/ugly (depending on your degree of aversion).

Honda/Nissan/Toyota seem to feel compelled to make their EV and hybrid eco-cars look "different" (to put it mildly) - I think their perception is that people driving EV's and hybrids want to make a statement about their "greenness".

I don't want my car to be a political statement, thank you very much. That's one of the (minor) reasons Tesla's models appeal to me. They are attractive, well designed, and have outstanding performance. A phenomenal car, that just happens to be electric. Not an electric car that screams "Look at me! I drive an EV! I'm saving the planet! I'm better than you, you evil polluter!", which is, sadly, how a lot of non-owners see them.

For most of their existence, hybrids have needed something to differentiate themselves. Without that 'I'm saving the planet' cachet, they didn't have much going for them. Added complication, reduced performance, with improved MPG that was not enough to offset the additional cost. The numbers did not work for them so there had to be something intangible to make up the shortfall.

If the new Leaf is still a "weirdmobile", I don't expect it to steal many sales from the Model 3. Even if both cars have similar range, the M3 will be a better car in every way (certainly in the design).

I know several people (myself included) who won't buy a Leaf, regardless of its range, because it is so darned weird looking/ugly (depending on your degree of aversion).

Honda/Nissan/Toyota seem to feel compelled to make their EV and hybrid eco-cars look "different" (to put it mildly) - I think their perception is that people driving EV's and hybrids want to make a statement about their "greenness".

I don't want my car to be a political statement, thank you very much. That's one of the (minor) reasons Tesla's models appeal to me. They are attractive, well designed, and have outstanding performance. A phenomenal car, that just happens to be electric. Not an electric car that screams "Look at me! I drive an EV! I'm saving the planet! I'm better than you, you evil polluter!", which is, sadly, how a lot of non-owners see them.
A valid point, but rumors say it will have a far more conventional design, along the lines of the nissan sway concept. And they will launch a hybrid and an all electric version.