Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

which range to choose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The range difference between the LR RWD and the LR AWD is pretty small. As the former is no longer available new, and Tesla has tweaked its efficiency numbers since the last time it was offered, it's unclear how big the difference is. As I recall, the last time the LR RWD was sold, it was rated at 325 miles, vs. 310 miles for the LR AWD. Even assuming a charge to 90% and leaving a 10% gap at the bottom, that 310 miles translates to 248 miles, which is 42% over the 175-mile commute distance. That's a comfortable enough gap for all but the very coldest of days. (Charging to 100% on a very cold day when you expect to drive 175 miles is reasonable, so long as you don't do it too often.) The extra ~15 miles (more like ~10 miles under those conditions) of the LR RWD could be useful on rare occasion, but if the commute really is that close to the line on a regular basis, I'd say that any Model 3 isn't adequate, at least not without charging available at work or maybe a Supercharger along the way.

The difference btw the LR RWD and the LR AWD is not pretty small. You're only comparing the on paper numbers. The LR RWD is the most efficient model atm mainly because of the efficiency that's gained from not needing the 2nd motor. Besides that again you're only calculating the on paper total miles when you say hell have 248 miles. Youre forgetting to subtract miles for all the things that one would need to subtract them for. Plus needing to subtract the miles drop from degradation. Everything subtracts up (adds up :) ). You may say degradation isn't much but right off the bat a few months old the LR AWD may only charge to 303 miles at 100%.

I think I've done this math publicly before.... even ignoring AWD vs RWD...

310 miles rated, pretty close to best case.
Don't use the top 10% regularly.. 279 miles left.
Don't use the bottom 10% regularly... 248 miles left
Lose even 10% of battery capacity over 5 years...223 miles left
Use the HVAC system? lets call that a 20% penalty, best case... 178 miles left....

10% may be a good or bad estimate for loss over five years. I'm currently at 5-6% after 18 months and 32k miles.

Now lets redo the final number for a 240 mile starting range instead of 310...you'll have 138 miles of 'usable' range in winter, MAYBE. You are straying into Leaf territory right there, somewhere I really wouldn't want to be. The HVAC penalty is probably somewhat optimistic, too.

One other thing that I think has been mentioned... the larger battery on the LR comes with a longer warranty and bigger charger, both of which could be quite valuable given your long commute.

Reactions: Bigriver
I think I've done this math publicly before.... even ignoring AWD vs RWD...

310 miles rated, pretty close to best case.
Don't use the top 10% regularly.. 279 miles left.
Don't use the bottom 10% regularly... 248 miles left
Lose even 10% of battery capacity over 5 years...223 miles left
Use the HVAC system? lets call that a 20% penalty, best case... 178 miles left....

10% may be a good or bad estimate for loss over five years. I'm currently at 5-6% after 18 months and 32k miles.

Now lets redo the final number for a 240 mile starting range instead of 310...you'll have 138 miles of 'usable' range in winter, MAYBE. You are straying into Leaf territory right there, somewhere I really wouldn't want to be. The HVAC penalty is probably somewhat optimistic, too.

One other thing that I think has been mentioned... the larger battery on the LR comes with a longer warranty and bigger charger, both of which could be quite valuable given your long commute.

Plus, Sentry mode, seat heaters, lights, wipers when it rains or snows, strong winds blowing against you. Also, how fast you drive.. Some people don't take that enough into account. If they tend to drive a lot faster then speed limits.

I don't have a lot to add, previous advice is spot on generally. I'm glad others pointed out the range available when not using the full 100% of the battery - this is a big downside in the marketing of EV range capabilities.

Note that the reason the LR has a higher warranty is mostly simple math. Roughly 50% bigger battery == roughly 50% more warranty on driveline/battery.

I'll corroborate the fact that Winter driving can have a serious impact on range, especially if the battery and cabin get cold between drives. I'll go so far as to say if you need to drive 175 miles in sub-freezing temperatures below 40mph, not even the LR will be enough (in my experience). My range/efficiency was half going a bit over 60km/h (nearly 40mph) through snow in -10C (+14F) temps, which would be 155 miles on a brand-new not-degraded Model 3 LR using the full capacity from 100%.

That said, if you have a mid-point you can fast charge at for those especially bad days, it should be fine as long as the chargers are operable (apparently the Superchargers around me have issues when it gets cold, so YMMV!)

We took delivery of our LR RWD in October 2018. Now in the midst of our second Maine winter with the car, it is clear that we made the right decision to forgo AWD. If you already have substantial experience driving a RWD vehicle in snow and ice, if you drive exclusively on paved roads that have been treated and plowed and if you are willing to pay for top of the line snow tires, you shouldn't need AWD. However, you WILL appreciate the extra capacity the LR battery provides to keep the cabin warm and the windows clear on those minus five degree days. Before leaving we preheat the cabin, then leave the climate control set at seventy two degrees and turn up the seat heaters throughout the trip. We stay warm and never worry about range. It makes me sad that Tesla no longer offers a LR RWD option with the Model 3.

thanks, everyone for all the information.
i kind of figured that i would need some sort of LR, either AWD or RWD, and was curious if a Model 3 owner out their is actually in the same situation i am in and what range they have.
i think i going to look for a used LR RWD, unless like someone mentioned, they start offering the LR RWD again.