Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Seats Are Safer on the Model X, 2nd or 3rd row?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know which seats would be safer for children to sit in in the Model X, the 2nd row or third row? I would guess the third row but does anyone have any definitive information on it?
I currently have a Model S with rear facing child seats so I know they have been reinforced safety wise and are probably the safest seats for the kids to be in from a protection point of view. Does the Model X have anything like this?

This could be a very challenging topic.

The rear third row is between the wheel wells. The second row seats are on pedestals. What type of accident (side, front, rear or rollover impact), speed, weight/age of children, empty cabin or cargo tossed about?

Another item to consider are the airbag locations.

With so many variables, I hope there is a clear answer. Maybe the crash ratings will help when they are released.

I guess the middle of the second row is safest for side collisions.

Front passenger for rear collision.

3rd row for front collision.

Don't know about rollover.

But I wouldn't want anyone to base their decision on my guesses. As Mark Z says, crash ratings from Euroncap and the IIHS will help.

I know Tesla did their own in house tests, maybe they could release the results.

I guess the middle of the second row is safest for side collisions.

Front passenger for rear collision.

3rd row for front collision.

Don't know about rollover.

But I wouldn't want anyone to base their decision on my guesses. As Mark Z says, crash ratings from Euroncap and the IIHS will help.

I know Tesla did their own in house tests, maybe they could release the results.

It's my understanding that the middle of the 2nd row doesn't have the standard child seat LATCH connectors (need to use a seat belt instead), so I don't know how that plays into safety. Which is safer, the seat-belt attachment or the LATCH connectors?

It's my understanding that the middle of the 2nd row doesn't have the standard child seat LATCH connectors (need to use a seat belt instead), so I don't know how that plays into safety. Which is safer, the seat-belt attachment or the LATCH connectors?

Most seats specify that when the weight of the child and the child seat combined exceeds 65 lbs the anchor points should no longer be used. Seat belt attachment is less convienient to properly install but provides a much stronger attachment. Makes sense when you think about the weight of adults that use the seat belts.

"All lower anchors are rated for a maximum weight of 65 pounds (total weight includes car seat and child). Parents should check the car seat manufacturer's recommendations for maximum weight a child can be to use lower anchors. New car seats have the maximum weight printed on their label."

LATCH was really created because so many people couldn't get the seats with regular belts in correctly. Regular belts are still considered safer, per my local fire and police department. Roamer's also right on the weight limit for LATCH. I actually thought it was 40 lbs. If you can, Britax makes an idiot-proof system that uses the car's belt - I highly suggest it versus LATCH.

That said, I think the middle seat, second row, will need a special, narrow car seat if used for that purpose, based on photos. I haven't had the chance to see if yet. That's only if you want another seat on either side.

For rollovers it depends on how you look at it. If you're assuming that it takes 5x5500 lbs to crush the roof that's a whopping 27,500 lbs. I highly doubt that will be a problem unless you're falling off a cliff. The roof of the second row will be pushed in the most because that's the tallest point of the car. The second row is the least safe place in rollovers, but the conditions for the roof to protrude into the cabin will be extremely rare.

This thread reminds me of the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Butch and Sundance are being chased by a posse and they have been forced up to a cliff over a river with no way to escape. The only option is to surrender or jump into the river a hundred feet or so below with rocks and a raging current.

Butch Cassidy: Alright. I'll jump first.Sundance Kid: No.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.
Sundance Kid: Oh, ****...

Butch Cassidy The Sundance Kid - YouTube

The passenger with the most car around him or her is the safest passenger, assuming he fits properly in that seat. Being properly restrained is the most important factor. So the middle 2nd row seat is safest, followed by the outboard 2nd row.