Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Smart Summon is better: "Come to Target" or "Come to Me"?

Smart Summon: Which is better "Come to Target" or "Come to Me"?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I'm sure, many of you have been playing with Smart Summon since its release (I practically finish my Starbucks coffee while still in the parking lot!). My testing has consisted of some early morning use in order to cover some empty parking lot and some beginning traffic tests. More than once I've had to "fetch" the car when it doesn't come to my location and it seems - albeit after these couple of days - that the "Come to Target" has me doing less of the embarrassing fetches. By that I mean it actually "gets" to my location. I even parked up the street and with "Come to Me" it abandons itself within the middle of the street whereas "Come to Target" came down the street and turned into my driveway (even reversing and going partially around a vehicle in the driveway). What's been the experience with other members?

As I'm sure, many of you have been playing with Smart Summon since its release (I practically finish my Starbucks coffee while still in the parking lot!). My testing has consisted of some early morning use in order to cover some empty parking lot and some beginning traffic tests. More than once I've had to "fetch" the car when it doesn't come to my location and it seems - albeit after these couple of days - that the "Come to Target" has me doing less of the embarrassing fetches. By that I mean it actually "gets" to my location. I even parked up the street and with "Come to Me" it abandons itself within the middle of the street whereas "Come to Target" came down the street and turned into my driveway (even reversing and going partially around a vehicle in the driveway). What's been the experience with other members?

Once people learn what its doing....and how it does it.

Then they will or won't use it

We should treat it as folks did concerning the maiden voyage of Auto Pilot on October 15th 2015 ( software version 7.0 ). Anyone believe it has improved since then?

Keep going Tesla. Excellent job.

I can’t figure out why this was released. Tesla would be wise to pull SS back. The internet will soon be full of embarrassing videos.

Pull up some AutoPilot videos from October 15th 2015 using AutoPilot. Embarrassment is now gone ( if there was any ).

You really think Tesla is worried about being embarrassed? Compared to who? There is no one else doing this.

Reactions: RunMadM3
I tested come to me this weekend. Instead of the car turning left it turned right and was heading around a building out of my eyesight. Not recommended.
I reset the position and started the test again using target.
I could see the route around the building and changed the target slightly which changed the cars path where I could keep an eye on it while moving.

Pull up some AutoPilot videos from October 15th 2015 using AutoPilot. Embarrassment is now gone ( if there was any ).

You really think Tesla is worried about being embarrassed? Compared to who? There is no one else doing this.
When autopilot does something odd, the driver can correct immediately. When SS heads off to visit the neighbors or blocks cars in a parking lot, there is no one in the car to take over.

I am glad you love it. I think in its present form it will become a PR disaster for Tesla and result in some very nasty encounters between Tesla owners and angry drivers in parking lots.. We’ll soon see which one of us is right.

When autopilot does something odd, the driver can correct immediately. When SS heads off to visit the neighbors or blocks cars in a parking lot, there is no one in the car to take over.

I am glad you love it. I think in its present form it will become a PR disaster for Tesla and result in some very nasty encounters between Tesla owners and angry drivers in parking lots.. We’ll soon see which one of us is right.

Azred - thanks for responding. I don't think there is necessarily a "right" - Tesla wouldn't have gotten anywhere if they constantly worried about what could possibly be a PR disaster at every turn (esp. w/a consumer product); to Garlan's point, it's the feature's starting point and can really only improve from here. We'll definitely see!

Reactions: ChadS
they work equally well if your phone GPS is accurate at the moment you do the summon. You can tell how accurate your phone GPS is by looking at how big the blue circle is around your location is. The bigger the circle, the greater the uncertainty of the phone's GPS location.

Mine fluctuates quite a bit, so I tend to stick with the target method.

Novox77; I agree. My (iPhone 10) GPS seems to fluctuate a bit and seems to be a bit more nerve-wracking for me (car yup, oh - pedestrian, watch out - curb, etc). I'm going to continue my "testing" with the target method. I had a good laugh this morning from a guy that had the cojones to smart summon in a full Costco parking lot. I'm not that brave yet!

I can’t figure out why this was released. Tesla would be wise to pull SS back. The internet will soon be full of embarrassing videos.

I thought the same thing before release, but it's working well enough to generate some positive buzz and so far the positive videos outweigh the negative ones (which I'm sure will be coming in greater number once people start pushing the system).

Key will be the pace of improvement. They can't let it sit in its current state for too long. But a major improvement rolling out in December would be perfect. Maybe that's wishfully optimistic.

Tesla doesn't care about PR or they would have Elon to stop using twitter, and not the SCE telling him instead.

I agree, the rain video is silly too. Kids asking what's wrong. It's so slow and it could block cars behind it. Everyone has to get in a buckle up while cars behind have to wait for you. Image going to the mall and every car is picking up someone instead of people going to their cars in the parking lot.

Also, some videos are like 2 minutes long, and they still haven't got inside their cars yet. I can walk to the car and leave by that time because the range is so short. There are already a few accidents with Smart Summon. It may be other people's fault, but as a driver, you can expect other people not see you so you can drive defensively. For example, if you see a reverse light there is a good chance that driver will pull out. Smart Summon doesn't give a F, and it gets backed into. Now you have to wait for parts and deal with the repairs.

It's a cool party trick they spent a year on. Not sure how long it'll take to make it useful like let it do it's thing without line of sight.

Have had much better results with come to me vs. target. I look at the target route and it shows going into curbs and grass. Then I perform the function and it does exactly that. Goes on to grass and I have to stop it from curbs.

Same exact spot I stand in and then try come to me. Works just fine. Wonder if it is all what it sees on come to me vs. maps and visual on come to target.

Glad to see it finally here. Won't be using it for a while though. Never curbed a rim in my life. Not going to start now.

It's been flakey so far for me in both options. The app keeps saying lost connection and then I have to go to get the car. Really cool when it works. I wonder if their server is overloaded since everyone is playing with it right now.

Jamnmon66; I agree - it's definitely in its infancy stage across both options. I got a couple of lost connections too and was happy that it happened in an empty parking lot

Have had much better results with come to me vs. target. I look at the target route and it shows going into curbs and grass. Then I perform the function and it does exactly that. Goes on to grass and I have to stop it from curbs.

Same exact spot I stand in and then try come to me. Works just fine. Wonder if it is all what it sees on come to me vs. maps and visual on come to target.

Glad to see it finally here. Won't be using it for a while though. Never curbed a rim in my life. Not going to start now.

Interesting - how far away were you when you did the Come-to-me? I think I had better result (at least a couple of times) when I did Come to Me and was a bit further away (couple of lanes). The Come-to-target target I had to move around a bit to stop it from showing the path on the grass and curbs and then it performed a tad better - it at least didn't get (as) confused with respect to the GPS pin. My rims have been curbed up, so I'm able to test freely (and I'm not even able to blame my wife!). :)

Interesting - how far away were you when you did the Come-to-me? I think I had better result (at least a couple of times) when I did Come to Me and was a bit further away (couple of lanes). The Come-to-target target I had to move around a bit to stop it from showing the path on the grass and curbs and then it performed a tad better - it at least didn't get (as) confused with respect to the GPS pin. My rims have been curbed up, so I'm able to test freely (and I'm not even able to blame my wife!). :)

I used the same target spot towards the outer limit of shown circle. Then using come to me I went and stood at same spot as target. Did it 4 times with each.

I think come to me uses no mapping and only visual.