Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Smart Summon is better: "Come to Target" or "Come to Me"?

Smart Summon: Which is better "Come to Target" or "Come to Me"?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing interesting about the current version of summon is that the previous version used to ALWAYS end up a session of summon with the drivers door right where I can get in.

The current version of summon seems to head right towards me with the nose of the car facing me ( most of the time ). I like having the car place the drivers door right next to me at the end of the session.

Something is different.

Interesting.

You discovered the lawn mower mode Easter egg.:D
I'm trying to figure out why we've seen and heard tons of stories of Smart Summon going on to grass yet none of people hitting curbs. Part of it is probably that people abort before it hits a curb and the car driving on to grass is somewhat hilarious. It's just strange that the neural net interprets grass as drivable space since people hit curbs all the time yet rarely drive on to grass by accident.

Reactions: C141medic
Ok I'll bite. That video is of someone using Smart Summon incorrectly. It says in the release notes that you must keep the car and its surroundings in sight at all times...... The video with the accident (even though it was probably the other drivers fault) would likely not have happened if the user was properly monitoring

Here’s the tweet from Tesla implying you don’t need to know where you parked your car. The accompanying video of course has the disclaimer that you must have a clear line of sight to the car. (And the car driving the wrong way in the parking lot...as you suggested, Tesla may be trolling us.)

Tesla on Twitter

Probably would have been better to come up with a more careful phrasing.

"Elon has said that parking lots are hard." There's a lot more possible random action that happens.
"The car can be too paranoid to move." Like that rainstorm video, it pauses a couple of times - we don't have the benefit of what the car is analyzing at that moment, but it saw something that caused it to question its course.

I just tried it again today. Using “come to me” didn’t work out so great because my phone’s GPS had me at another spot. You really can’t tell until you go to the “come to target” screen to see where you’re GPS is at. It’s annoying to open a map to see where your GPS is before you use “Come to Me”.

“Come to Target” worked better, but still not useful. It’s slow and holds up traffic. People couldn’t back out of their parking spaces because my car was deciding where to go. Even though it’s a straight line, it just sat there and kept turning the wheel to left and to the right over and over again. I had to go rescue it and felt so embarrassed.

Reactions: RunMadM3
And the car driving the wrong way in the parking lot...as you suggested, Tesla may be trolling us.
Somehow it's not the wrong way! I guess people really don't like backing in to spaces. Still think it was trolling :D
EFa7hwTXoAEGypZ.jpeg

I'm trying to figure out why we've seen and heard tons of stories of Smart Summon going on to grass yet none of people hitting curbs. Part of it is probably that people abort before it hits a curb and the car driving on to grass is somewhat hilarious. It's just strange that the neural net interprets grass as drivable space since people hit curbs all the time yet rarely drive on to grass by accident.

My take is that currently only certain features are considered undrivable, like a curb. Painted parking lines are also not obstacles yet and are ignored. I suspect grass is also considered drivable. If there's a curb between road and grass, then the car never even considers the grass because there's an obstacle (curb) in the way.

I don't really understand "Come to me". Am I supposed to hold that button down? I tap it and nothing happens. Also, if you use "Come to me" do you still see the intended path for the car?

Testing: I believe you can use 'Come to Target' while sitting in the drivers seat with your foot hovering over the pedal to test. Just pick a point a little ways away on the map as your Target.

My take is that currently only certain features are considered undrivable
Certainly doesn't like ANY slope still. I was hoping it would be able to drive down my curvy driveway, but I forgot it doesn't handle slopes so it got about 12 feet backing up in a straight line and gave up w/o a message saying WHY it was in an unsummonable state. It was like Check the doors. Um, nope. It's just going slightly downhill, that's why it stopped.

Guess I'm still waiting for a car that will actually come and get me...

Certainly doesn't like ANY slope still. I was hoping it would be able to drive down my curvy driveway, but I forgot it doesn't handle slopes so it got about 12 feet backing up in a straight line and gave up w/o a message saying WHY it was in an unsummonable state. It was like Check the doors. Um, nope. It's just going slightly downhill, that's why it stopped.

My guess is that it's fairly sensitive to inclines because it doesn't want to be running over anything that provides significant resistance - like curbs, parking end stops, body parts, toddlers, dogs, cats, etc. It has to have some way of responding to resistance directly in front of the car (and maybe directly behind), since it has no way to see things there. Even if the system had memory this would be a potential problem.

The slope restriction drives me nuts. I’m sure there is a very calculated reason why the threshold is what it is, related to the distance the car may slip on a hill or something. But it drives me nuts that my very simple driveway appears to juuuuuust be over that threshold.