Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Smart Summon is better: "Come to Target" or "Come to Me"?

Smart Summon: Which is better "Come to Target" or "Come to Me"?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you hold it down. No you don't see the intended path. Can be used to kind of walk the car like a dog.
Awesome, I'll take my car and my dog for a walk and see how it goes. I wish I had a camera OTHER than my phone so I could record the wreck of it going down the cliff off my driveway.

Will be nice to not have to walk UP the super steep and long driveway anymore. In the future, I'll just summon when I get to the bottom after the dog walk. Now I don't have to put in that ski lift/gondola we always talked about.

• Funny
Reactions: Tron 3
When autopilot does something odd, the driver can correct immediately. When SS heads off to visit the neighbors or blocks cars in a parking lot, there is no one in the car to take over.

I am glad you love it. I think in its present form it will become a PR disaster for Tesla and result in some very nasty encounters between Tesla owners and angry drivers in parking lots.. We’ll soon see which one of us is right.

We will see about the PR disaster.

You will have to change up stories like this then.

Tesla Model 3 unparks itself and drives to save family from torrential rainstorm

Tesla Smart Summon is life-changing for drivers with mobility problems

Feel free to post something negative to counter these.

Jamnmon66; I agree - it's definitely in its infancy stage across both options. I got a couple of lost connections too and was happy that it happened in an empty parking lot
Same thing happens with original Summon but losing connection when the car is half in, half out of garage is obviously less consequential than suddenly disconnecting where other cars are present.

Tesla Model 3 unparks itself and drives to save family from torrential rainstorm

Feel free to wait a couple weeks to see the videos of confrontations in parking lots and please knock off the hostility. I have two Teslas and own some TSLA stock. I am hardly the enemy.

I believe this product is not ready for the masses and my opinion is not unique.Is it ok to disagree with you without causing an angry response?

Last edited:

Ok I'll bite. That video is of someone using Smart Summon incorrectly. It says in the release notes that you must keep the car and its surroundings in sight at all times. When used correctly Smart Summon is probably safe but I've seen a bunch of videos of people using it incorrectly. The video with the accident (even though it was probably the other drivers fault) would likely not have happened if the user was properly monitoring the cars surroundings.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I’ve only used it once and wanted to try the target method but couldn’t. I was at a brand new restaurant and as a result the satellite map view showed a construction site instead of a finished parking lot. Ended up using come to me instead since I couldn’t reliable put the target in place without a corresponding satellite visual reference. Worked better than expected although definitely still a lot of room for improvement.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and C141medic
Gotta be more frequent than that.
Summing collision and liability, about 12 claims per 100 insured vehicles per year (https://www.iihs.org/media/0394fe9f...arch/Loss fact sheets/Trends_summary_2018.pdf).
Apparently 20% of crashes occur in parking lots according to IIHS (Prevent Parking Lot Crashes - State Farm®).
That would make 2.4 parking lot accident claims per 100 vehicles per year. How many times does the average driver visit parking lots in a year? I'd figure about 500? That would work out to one insurance claim every 20,000 parking lot visits (100/2.4*500). Now of course many parking lot crashes don't result in insurance claims and I might be be overestimating how many times people go to parking lots in a year (or making some other mistake!).

That's a very good question! What percentage of parking lot trips end in fender benders? My rough guess is one in ten thousand.

I think the right question is how many parking lot trips have ended in fender benders OR how many parking lot trips would have ended in fender benders without the ability to honk.

Being able to honk has saved my car countless times in parking lots.

The first accident with smart summon wasn't even the Tesla fault. The Tesla was stopped when hit, but the owner had no way to honk.

Feel free to wait a couple weeks to see the videos of confrontations in parking lots and please knock off the hostility. I have two Teslas and own some TSLA stock. I am hardly the enemy.

I believe this product is not ready for the masses and my opinion is not unique.Is it ok to disagree with you without causing an angry response?

I'm not angry.... I just can't believe all of the negativity as they are trying soo hard to do good things.

Oh well. i hope they can continue to put out products that people don't believe in because some of us love it.
Especially all of these "beta" products.

I think the right question is how many parking lot trips have ended in fender benders OR how many parking lot trips would have ended in fender benders without the ability to honk.

The first accident with smart summon wasn't even the Tesla fault. The Tesla was stopped when hit, but the owner had no way to honk.

If every car drove itself.....there wouldn't be a need for horns.

Just my thinking.

Reactions: 82bert
If every car drove itself.....there wouldn't be a need for horns.

Just my thinking.
I think there would still need to be a way to communicate with pedestrians and cyclists. Probably a speaker instead of a horn though.
Agreed, but if I drove through parking lots like that Tesla driver did I could probably get in an accident that wasn't technically my fault once every 10 minutes. Driving towards reversing cars diagonally from the passenger side is a recipe for disaster.

You just need to practice getting out of summon and into controls quickly so you can honk the horn. But a horn button on the summon page would probably work better.

• Funny
Summing collision and liability, about 12 claims per 100 insured vehicles per year (https://www.iihs.org/media/0394fe9f-1070-489d-842e-8b4875fcd762/F0U4sQ/HLDI Research/Loss fact sheets/Trends_summary_2018.pdf).
Apparently 20% of crashes occur in parking lots according to IIHS (Prevent Parking Lot Crashes - State Farm®).
That would make 2.4 parking lot accident claims per 100 vehicles per year. How many times does the average driver visit parking lots in a year? I'd figure about 500? That would work out to one insurance claim every 20,000 parking lot visits (100/2.4*500). Now of course many parking lot crashes don't result in insurance claims and I might be be overestimating how many times people go to parking lots in a year (or making some other mistake!).

Tesla will probably produce some number in six months that said. Our cars drove without drivers in 20,000 parking lot visits. Our car was at fault X number of times compared to the X where humans drove. Reducing that 20% of accidents that occur would be huge insurance claimed or not.

Side note about some other posts:

Also just because people ask questions or are worried about things doesn't make them a Tesla hater or negative on Tesla. Some have genuine concern for the well being of the company for monetary purposes or believing what Tesla does is for the greater good. Heck some just own the car and want a good car.