Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which socket is most common - 20A 3 or 5 pin, 32A 3 or 5 pin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at buying some additional connectors:

4 options given, which socket is most common out and about?

The car comes with 10A and 15A 3-pins.

Regionally the 32A 5-pin is most common.
Most Aus caravan parks are 15A, think it's more NZ with the Blue Commando.

The other relevant purchase is a Type2 to Type 2 cable (unfortunately no such thing as a Type 2 adapter)

Like this one, for use at universal charging stations?

Correct,albeit worth paying the fee $s extra for the 3ph 22kW version (the TM3 will be capped at 11kW due to the on-board charger)

Reactions: David Sowden
Looking at buying some additional connectors:

4 options given, which socket is most common out and about?
it's difficult to predict what type of power sockets are found in the bush - and Plugshare doesn't help as it only has filter for 3phase but that could be 32A socket or a 20A socket, and the 5pin plugs are not interchangeable. Photos help of course, but that's not always the case at every site.
The Gen2 adaptor pick&choose tails bundle might be handy in these situations.

Another confused buyer with no background knowledge in electric sockets/adaptors/and more.

Most Australian houses are constructed with Single Phase circuit, and hence you can max install a 32A 3 PIN socket at home, and you will have to buy the 3Pin adaptor for your tesla.

Challenge with the above is that most places such car parks, regional areas, its 32A 5 Pin three phase, which effective means that you then need to have both 32A 3 pin for home and three phase 5 pin for outdoor use.

is my understanding correct, or am I missing the plot.

Which one should we invest in...

Reactions: MBau
is my understanding correct, or am I missing the plot.
Pretty much, except that:
  • 3 phase homes aren't particularly rare - you can check in your meter box how many service fuses you have, or whether your main switch is three phase or single.
  • Some people have had success getting their electrician to install a 5-pin socket in a single phase house, with two phases in the socket unpowered (the powered one has to match the one in the UMC adaptor you're using, though!)
  • Unless you're going to the genuine outback you're unlikely to need to use the 5-pin adaptor on your travels. Most country areas you'll be able to find motels or similar with Type 2 destination chargers.

Pretty much, except that:
  • 3 phase homes aren't particularly rare - you can check in your meter box how many service fuses you have, or whether your main switch is three phase or single.
  • Some people have had success getting their electrician to install a 5-pin socket in a single phase house, with two phases in the socket unpowered (the powered one has to match the one in the UMC adaptor you're using, though!)
  • Unless you're going to the genuine outback you're unlikely to need to use the 5-pin adaptor on your travels. Most country areas you'll be able to find motels or similar with Type 2 destination chargers.
Thanks Mate,

My main switch is single phase, initially i am thinking of just simply using the 10A socket for tickle charge :) and use the some charging stations that offers free charging for now and then may be in a month time I will follow your advise and get a 5 pin socket on single phase and have it setup correctly. have already gotten quote for installing the 5-Pin Socket for AUD 700, i now just need to buy the right adapter to complete the package.

Just FYI, so Far I have already Purchased the following for my Model Y
- Type 1 to Type 2 connector
- Type 2 to Type 2
- Central Console Organizer
- 3D All-weather Floor Mats and FRUNK/TRUNK Liner.
- Screen Protector

pfff....list is just never ending.

Next big decision, should i do the PPF Front or FULL as DIY or not do it all together. because the cost to get it done in the market is just too much, everyone out their want to and i saw a Model Y last week that was covered in bird drops and bugs splatters on the front bumper and frunk. NOT A PRETTY SITE.

Next big decision, should i do the PPF Front or FULL as DIY or not do it all together. because the cost to get it done in the market is just too much, everyone out their want to and i saw a Model Y last week that was covered in bird drops and bugs splatters on the front bumper and frunk. NOT A PRETTY SITE.

Each to their own, but I would not invest in PPF but instead get your car ceramic coated - it makes the car soooooo much easier to clean (which should address your stated concern).

I did my own research and this is what I landed on and why.

1x Type 2 to Type 2 MENNEKES 22KW (for BYO chargers and metro charging);
1x Mobile Connector (for places I have no other options other than a normal power point);
1x 15amp tail (for mobile connector); and
1x 32amp tail (for mobile connector).

99% of the time I plan to use a Tesla destination charger or supercharger with either the supplied cable, or my own type 2 to type 2, but its good having the 15amp or 32am mobile connectors if I stop off somewhere which such a powerpoint. I don't see the need for any type 1 to type 2 converters... but thats personal preference.

Each to their own, but I would not invest in PPF but instead get your car ceramic coated - it makes the car soooooo much easier to clean (which should address your stated concern).
Here is what i have done, to satisfy my concern / stubborn will to have best of the both world ...(too much self prasing..i know)

I am going to get the front bumper and door edges PPF and rest of the body ceramic coating as well as the ceramic tinting for the whole car, fabric and plastic protection for the interior in AUD 2100

Front bumper is the most venerable to stone chips, so got that covered and door edges to protect from the walls and others cars when getting out.

hope i made a good decision.

I did my own research and this is what I landed on and why.

1x Type 2 to Type 2 MENNEKES 22KW (for BYO chargers and metro charging);
1x Mobile Connector (for places I have no other options other than a normal power point);
1x 15amp tail (for mobile connector); and
1x 32amp tail (for mobile connector).

99% of the time I plan to use a Tesla destination charger or supercharger with either the supplied cable, or my own type 2 to type 2, but its good having the 15amp or 32am mobile connectors if I stop off somewhere which such a powerpoint. I don't see the need for any type 1 to type 2 converters... but thats personal preference.
I have not yet ordered the 32Amp tail, Credit Card is CRYING OUT LOUD for me to STOP!!!, but i would do that next month. I plan to use the tesla charger or Chargefox the most times and with time there might be a need to further invest or may be not.

I have not yet ordered the 32Amp tail, Credit Card is CRYING OUT LOUD for me to STOP!!!, but i would do that next month. I plan to use the tesla charger or Chargefox the most times and with time there might be a need to further invest or may be not.

There are heaps of aussie accessories places that allow you buy now and pay later using Afterpay, Zip etc.

No need to shock your credit card into debt when you can do it slowly and gracefully 😁