Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which winter tires are you biying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After wearing through my MXM4s I figured I would try out Michelin's Cross Climate+. I have been driving them through most of the summer and they were great on dry and wet. I will be interested to see how they do in the snow. Any reviews I have seen have shown them stacking up well against the X-Ice on snow and ice. I occasionally drive south in the winter and then return back to winter conditions. Having tires that can handle hot and cold conditions is definitely a bonus.

Reactions: Muskol
I'm thinking about getting the Viking 7 since the Blizzaks are not available with the right load index... My only concern is that the only version I was able to find for the Viking were speed rated "T" which is 4 levels below what Tesla recommends.

Did you went with that speed rating? Thanks!

Hello,

I just installed a set of Viking 7's with r187 rims. "T" rating is up to 190 km/h. So, unless you are going to be driving above that speed, you are good. Load range is more important, the Vikings are XL rated, which is required for a Model 3.

Reactions: himynameisgab
Hello,

I just installed a set of Viking 7's with r187 rims. "T" rating is up to 190 km/h. So, unless you are going to be driving above that speed, you are good. Load range is more important, the Vikings are XL rated, which is required for a Model 3.

That’s why I went with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 so I can get up to the W rated speed of 270km/h even though the P3D is limited to 261km/h. Kidding aside, I went with a performance oriented winter tire that is also very good in wet and dry road conditions. I can always take my ICE truck with Nokian Hakka 8 SUV tires when conditions get bad with snow and/or ice.

Anybody ever try or have feedback on Momo tires? I read on another forum, or facebook post somewhere that they actually performed well?
Momo Tires NORTH POLE W-2 235/45R18 XL - 98V

upload_2019-11-4_14-0-41.png

I decided to go with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 for winter. I am using my original aero wheels and covers and will put my all seasons onto the Replika R187 for the summer. Installing at Spence Tire in Scarborough.

Since I have an Sr plus, I figure whatever extra range aeros can get would be most useful in winter due to the additional range loss from the cold.
When i got my winter set installed at the service center last weekend, the technician actually recommended NOT using the aero covers cuz apparently snow tends to get stuck inside. Anyone has experience running aero covers in the snow?

When i got my winter set installed at the service center last weekend, the technician actually recommended NOT using the aero covers cuz apparently snow tends to get stuck inside. Anyone has experience running aero covers in the snow?

I've read the same thing on several forums. It's one of the main reasons I didn't go with another set of Aeros (I bought the Replica 187) for winter. I'll save my Aeros and covers for summer when we do the most of our long distance driving.

Interesting. I had not considered that. I may have to remove the covers during significant snow fall but would like to have the efficiency gains when possible in the cold weather.

Just picked up my Nokian Hakka9 factory studded....

I had Gislaved factory studs on 2 previous cars and loved them but unfortunately Gislaved only sells to new car dealers now so they are hard to find.

On my BMW 3 series you could not hear the studs on dry pavement with windows closed. So much quieter then the dealer added. I may hear them on the model 3 but for me it’s worth it.

Some people hate them, I love them. Weather where I am Winters are a lot less predictable and lots of ice and freezing rain.

When I test drove the M3 back in April, the sale advisor told me the opposite. Aero cap keeps the snow out. So who knows?

Hello,

Interesting. I ran my car with my aeros on all last winter. I didn't have any issues. I would assume that snow or ice accumulation would result in some unbalance issues. I have seen that in the past on my other cars.

Just picked up my Nokian Hakka9 factory studded....

I had Gislaved factory studs on 2 previous cars and loved them but unfortunately Gislaved only sells to new car dealers now so they are hard to find.

On my BMW 3 series you could not hear the studs on dry pavement with windows closed. So much quieter then the dealer added. I may hear them on the model 3 but for me it’s worth it.

Some people hate them, I love them. Weather where I am Winters are a lot less predictable and lots of ice and freezing rain.

I tried the studded 9's but I lost all regen and it never came back over 600 KMs... went back to Kal-Tire and got the R3's. Within 20 minutes the car started driving normally again.

I was talking to 'a guy' at the Oakville service centre (no names to protect him) and he didn't think much of the Pirelli's that Tesla offers on their website. I bought the Michelin X Ice last year for my Model S through the service centre, and they were great over last winter. Far better than the Hakkapeliitta's that I had previously!
Great to hear your feedback on the Michelin X Ice! I just bought a set from Costco and am getting them installed at the Burlington location.

Where do you normally have your tires installed? I called Costco and they confirmed that they can install them on our cars, but wanted to know if anyone else has been to the same location and how was your experience - do they have the jack pad adapters for our cars?

Great to hear your feedback on the Michelin X Ice! I just bought a set from Costco and am getting them installed at the Burlington location.

Where do you normally have your tires installed? I called Costco and they confirmed that they can install them on our cars, but wanted to know if anyone else has been to the same location and how was your experience - do they have the jack pad adapters for our cars?
Probably better to ask the Costco location if they have the jackpads. I also bought the X-Ice through Costco and having them installed this weekend. I confirmed with my local Costco that they have the jackpads and have worked on the 3 before.

Wow that is super weird

Yeah. I had Tesla inspect it and more. Eventually Senior Engineering got involved and no solution worked. Ended up with the suggestion to switch my tires.

Regen would attempt to kick in and the green bar would go up and instantly back down to nothing. They think it has something to do with the traction detecting the slightest amount of slip. The manual says the car is supposed to learn and calibrate after a short amount of driving (like it did once I put the R3's on), but it never did.

Very happy with the R3's but a little sad I couldn't make the 9's with studs work.

The shop I bought them from mainly does teslas, keeps them in stock and has sold a lot of them.

Fingers crossed. Apparently they also have to break in (I have heard that from non tesla people)

You would think if it was the slip then no regen would work in snow with any tire....