Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which would you rather have ...

If you were to move into an apartment with a dedicated parking space, which would you rather have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to ask opinions on this. If you were to move into an apartment with a dedicated parking space, would you rather the parking space have a pre-existing hardwired 120V 20 amp J1772, or a 120V, 20 amp outlet? Not both, but one or the other. Why and would it matter as to what EV you had?

Future apartment owners may be impacted by the decision.

Thanks in advance.

Guy

Well most BEV owners would prefer a 240V outlet, as 120V is much slower for charging (and in this case it would have to be a NEMA 14-50 to ensure the most compatibility for cars). But if its just 120V then I would say J1772 ready to go.

One thing you might consider is how the outlet is used. A pre-wired J1772 says clearly "for electric car charging only", while a regular 120V outlet could be used for other things.

Of the two options you mention, I would prefer the 120V outlet because I could also use it to plug in a vacuum cleaner or a polisher to detail the car. In my part of the world, 120V outlets are common in parking spaces for engine block heaters for ICE cars, but that's likely not a concern in California.

If this is a dedicated circuit, look into installing a NEMA 6-20 outlet instead of a regular 5-20. It will use the same wire as the 5-20 outlet, but is 240V rather than 120V. It just needs a double-pole breaker instead of single pole, and you'd charge much faster. There shouldn't be any difference in cost between installing a 5-20 (120V) and a 6-20 (240V). J1772 EVSEs are available with a 6-20 plug, as well as the Tesla UMC. Won't work with the ShopVac though unfortunately.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KenC
I'd like to ask opinions on this. If you were to move into an apartment with a dedicated parking space, would you rather the parking space have a pre-existing hardwired 120V 20 amp J1772, or a 120V, 20 amp outlet? Not both, but one or the other. Why and would it matter as to what EV you had?

Future apartment owners may be impacted by the decision.

Thanks in advance.
Guy
Sounds like you're having something installed. In that case, neither choice is all that great. It'd be far better to get a 240V-20amp service installed. Should be about the same cost. Then the choice becomes hard-wired or outlet, and that's really up to you, and what your needs are, but I can't see why a hardwired J1772 wouldn't be preferable for you or future owners.

J1772, that way you only have to deal with the adapter not the whole UMC daily.
Having to deal with the UMC daily just so you have a closer outlet to vacuum from seems silly to me.
I stand by hard wired, find an outlet for vacuuming elsewhere.
Would you find value in having your own EVSE (instead of "stuck" with what the apartment complex put in during their construction) for: 1) meet your needs better and 2) taking it with you if you change apartments.