Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

While breaking, if you get the error message "Both pedals pressed - Motor power removed"...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 built Model 3. I haven't had it for more than 3 months. Recently, in the past week or so, I began seeing an annoying error message "Both pedals pressed - Motor power removed" every time I braked. (I was not pressing both pedals). I attached the error message to show what it looked like. I had been using version 2019.24.4 73fb1ab when this error was being encountered.

tesla error.jpg

I was just about to contact Tesla and report the problem, but I realized I had a software update (version 2019.28.3.1 f9e95acd) waiting for me, so I decided to give that a chance first. And bam. No more problem. It didn't require sensor replacements (as I saw some other people doing) and it didn't require the "Chinese trick" of pushing the pedal hard and lifting it. Just problem fixed.

I love updates. I wonder why it happened in the first place though.

If i were you, i would absolutely report this to Tesla and make them check out the car. If it's thinking you're pressing throttle when you aren't, that could be super unsafe (even though it seems to be fixed now, maybe its not).

Also, not to jinx it - but what if you somehow have a crash where the car accelerated on it's own. Tesla would quickly say "nah, you pressed the throttle - your fault" but if you have previously reported this to them, you have quite a different case.

I have a 2019 built Model 3. I haven't had it for more than 3 months. Recently, in the past week or so, I began seeing an annoying error message "Both pedals pressed - Motor power removed" every time I braked. (I was not pressing both pedals). I attached the error message to show what it looked like. I had been using version 2019.24.4 73fb1ab when this error was being encountered.

View attachment 445695

I was just about to contact Tesla and report the problem, but I realized I had a software update (version 2019.28.3.1 f9e95acd) waiting for me, so I decided to give that a chance first. And bam. No more problem. It didn't require sensor replacements (as I saw some other people doing) and it didn't require the "Chinese trick" of pushing the pedal hard and lifting it. Just problem fixed.

I love updates. I wonder why it happened in the first place though.

same thing with my 3. nov 2018 build. i took pictures of the alert and one pedal pressed. sent to service and have an appointment for 8/29.

i did try something. if you lift the go pedal "up" w/your foot it will not happen the next time you apply the brakes. its obviously a sensor thinking the pedal is still depressed even though its not pressed.

same thing with my 3. nov 2018 build. i took pictures of the alert and one pedal pressed. sent to service and have an appointment for 8/29.

i did try something. if you lift the go pedal "up" w/your foot it will not happen the next time you apply the brakes. its obviously a sensor thinking the pedal is still depressed even though its not pressed.

Yes, same happened here. I could lift the "go" peddle about 1mm with my finger while I was pressing the brake, and the error message would go away. That's how I knew it was sensor related. But the new patch did fix it, so I'm guessing they reduced the tolerance of the sensitivity.

Also worth mentioning that this issue did not happen at all up until a week ago. I have been driving for months and have never seen this error message. I could go in and get my car checked out but I feel it's driving well and there is no issue.

Did you try updating your software to the latest version (version 2019.28.3.1 f9e95acd) and if so, are you still experiencing the error message? If you haven't updated yet, I would do so.

so this had been going on for over 3 weeks ...i finally hit up service yesterday; then the software update and no alerts today. still feel i should drive it a few more days before i consider canceling the service appt.

appreciate the feedback and hoping the update did address the issue...super annoying and embarrassing when touting the car to possible future owners!

Reactions: Want Roadster
Be careful. Things that “fix themselves” for no obvious reason can also break...or brake...for no obvious reason. I would get to the bottom of this and get someone to sign off that the bug is squished.

Could not agree more. I have been bitten by this many times with intermittent problems. If you do not address them, they will come back in a much worse way. It's just Murphy's Law :)

For what it may be worth, I experienced the issue too. Then I saw that when I replaced my Tesla weatherproof mats after cleaning I inadvertently covered the accelerator. I had no issue driving the car but when I braked I also managed to push in the accelerator too. Once I slid the mat under the accelerator the problem was resolved.