Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

While you wait...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a lot of threads on this sub-forum that people start when they've ordered a Model S/X. The overwhelming sentiment whether it's CPO/Inventory/New Build is, "I can't wait!".

So in light of that, and as someone who has done the waiting game twice now. I thought I'd just throw some ideas out there for a bit of a "checklist" of sorts that soon-to-be owners can occupy themselves with to make the wait just a little easier.

1. Participate in the discussions on here. You are already an owner, just without a car. The community is better with your input at all stages of the ordering/ownership process.
2. Go through your to-do list on your MyTesla account.
3. Read the manual once, twice, a dozen times. Be familiar with as much as you can and start building a list of questions for your DS.
4. Check out the change logs for previous software revisions. Familarize yourself with the evolution of certain features so you can understand the intent of how Tesla thinks it should be used.
5. Check out the 30 minute introduction video made for Model S where you are walked through the car and it's features in a hands on way. It might be a tad out of date, but useful nonetheless.
6. Consider getting your accessories delivered before hand. Such as floor mats, roof rack, charging adapter tips, cell phone mount, center console, USB storage/adapters, and sun shades.
7. Start amassing your car wash supplies by getting a couple of buckets, sponges, dirt filters, microfiber cloths, etc.
8. Tentatively line up any appointments for window tint/clear bra/audio upgrades in advance with your trusted local shop so that there aren't any delays in getting the things you need done.
9. Get your financing lined up early enough that there are no delays in delivery, but not too quickly as to have to go through the process again if your delivery date goes long.
10. Don't harass the sales gallery, they've done their job, now leave them alone.
11. Start to seek out your local Tesla owners groups and get in touch. You may have questions for them, or they might be having social events that are of interest to you.
12. Clean out your garage spot for the car and consider purchasing those rubber mats that go on the floor and tell you when you've pulled into the garage enough.
13. Get you charging situation straightened out. Tesla will remind you to do this, but it's always nice to have that in place well beforehand. Either have another Tesla owner or someone from the sales gallery with a demo car come by and actually test your outlet to make sure it charges correctly.
14. If you see an improvement to the software that hasn't yet been implemented, go ahead and email Tesla and tell them about your suggestion. Who knows, it might be rolled into the next update and be ready for you when you get your car.

I'm sure others on here can add more items.

Don't forget to contact your insurance agent. Get a new quote and be prepared for an increase in your premiums. I was shocked as to my premiums were going to double with the Model S. I reviewed this form and spent the greater part of a day shopping for a new insurance carrier and managed to retain the same premium as with my current carrier.

You may also elect to review your insurance "claims reports" for accuracy. I found errors and that greatly affected my rates.