Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whistling wind noise sound over 60mph, but not when behind a car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I have discovered is that there is a whistling wind noise in the front of the vehicle (according to mine and my wife's ears, at least) when going 60+ mph. Previously I said that the noise only happened under certain circumstances / roads, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Well, I think I finally have a way to reproduce it reliably. What I've learned is that if I'm following a car in front, the noise goes away! When I am not following any cars in front (or the car is quite a ways/distance in front of me), then I hear the whistling noise again. Anyone hear of anything like this? I even tried applying masking tape around the little glass triangles on both the driver and passenger doors, but the whistling noise is still there.

Sounds like when the airflow changes during a drafting scenario, the whistling goes away. When it's you breaking wind, there is enough pressure for a stream of air to enter the cabin. Sounds like you have a gap somewhere in your car, possibly only when traveling at high speeds. You can try to locate it yourself by trying to alter/block the airflow as you have done. You can also try using a camera or microphone to help track it down.

Alternatively, you can bring it to your local Service Center (SC) for them to investigate. If it was me, I would try to locate the sound myself because most SC are busy enough already.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have tried the masking tape approach and just can't seem to narrow down the source of the whistle. I've also inspected all of the seals and don't see any that are bent or otherwise twisted. I've scheduled an appointment with the SC, but I'm going to try to keep hunting down the source. My car is otherwise very quiet at highway speeds. This is a March 2017 Model X75D.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have tried the masking tape approach and just can't seem to narrow down the source of the whistle. I've also inspected all of the seals and don't see any that are bent or otherwise twisted. I've scheduled an appointment with the SC, but I'm going to try to keep hunting down the source. My car is otherwise very quiet at highway speeds. This is a March 2017 Model X75D.

Good luck with that. I had mine in for service and it came back louder. Let us know how your visit goes.

All my windows make noise as if they were still open. Its the frame-less design that is the problem. I get tired of people asking me if the widows are cracked open because its so noisy.

I would take that to the SC - I've had my S for 3 years and NEVER has it sounded like the windows are anywhere near open - they can adjust the window against the seals or even change your seals out...

Reactions: Xcelerator
I would take that to the SC - I've had my S for 3 years and NEVER has it sounded like the windows are anywhere near open - they can adjust the window against the seals or even change your seals out...

I had an s loaner when my x was at service center. U can’t compare the two. The s is significantly more quiet then the x on the highway period. Not sure why it just is. Must be all the x windows and fwd

My Model X is noisy too. During 2 Service Center trips for other issues I also had them look at the windows/noise. Both times they said that it was within tolerance and that it was road noise from the tires causing the issue, not the window seals or anything else. I haven't driven another Model X so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, when I've had loaner Model S's, they're substantially quieter.

Last night I went on a test drive on 3 or 4 different highways, traveling from 60mph to 75mph with and without drafting a vehicle in front. I can see why the service center wasn't able to reproduce it. On the main highway next to my service center, I could not get it to make the whistling noise! I only heard it faintly on one highway. This is a really tricky noise that I think I may have to live with, since I was hoping to find a way to 100% reproduce it near by service center in preparation for an upcoming appointment. No such luck!

There are different things going on highway noise wise. One of them is the road noise. My daily commute has a stretch where the road goes back an forth between an aggregate (rock) finish and a smooth asphalt finish. On Asphalt, the car is nearly silent - amazingly quiet, on the aggregate, the radio has to be turned up 3 levels to be heard. I have the contisilent tires which I think are the quietest option. I'm trying to find a solution for road noise and am considering considering Dynamat: How to reduce road noise in your car. They claim to be able to reduce by 9-18 db and a 10 db reduction is a 50% reduction in noise. I'm going to have to find someone else to do that work though because I'm incapable of doing it myself. To me, this is one area of the car where Tesla did not spend enough money to deliver the quality you expect from a $100k car. Lower priced vehicles have this same issue, but, I'm not aware of other 100k cars that do. But, I love so much about the car that if I can get this fixed, I may just drive it forever.

As for wind noises, I'm pretty certain those can be addressed with realignment of the small front window and replacement or some or all of your window/door seals. For me, fixing the alignment of the drivers side small window has ended 95% of wind noise

I had an s loaner when my x was at service center. U can’t compare the two. The s is significantly more quiet then the x on the highway period. Not sure why it just is. Must be all the x windows and fwd

No arguments - I was just saying that if your side windows are a problem and not closing/sealing properly go to the SC instead of simply complaining...the X’s i’ve Been driving do NOT sound like the side windows are cracked at all, there is more road noise (particularly with the 22’s as I have ordered) but nothing like he described as side windows being cracked open...

There are different things going on highway noise wise. One of them is the road noise. My daily commute has a stretch where the road goes back an forth between an aggregate (rock) finish and a smooth asphalt finish. On Asphalt, the car is nearly silent - amazingly quiet, on the aggregate, the radio has to be turned up 3 levels to be heard. I have the contisilent tires which I think are the quietest option. I'm trying to find a solution for road noise and am considering considering Dynamat: How to reduce road noise in your car. They claim to be able to reduce by 9-18 db and a 10 db reduction is a 50% reduction in noise. I'm going to have to find someone else to do that work though because I'm incapable of doing it myself. To me, this is one area of the car where Tesla did not spend enough money to deliver the quality you expect from a $100k car. Lower priced vehicles have this same issue, but, I'm not aware of other 100k cars that do. But, I love so much about the car that if I can get this fixed, I may just drive it forever.

As for wind noises, I'm pretty certain those can be addressed with realignment of the small front window and replacement or some or all of your window/door seals. For me, fixing the alignment of the drivers side small window has ended 95% of wind noise

I also considered dynamat but my sc people strongly advised against it especially on the doors. I guess other people tried and messed up their automatic open close doors because of weight and various other problems. But if u do get it and it helps let us know !!!