Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the full 360. My doors are okay. I'm mostly concerned about my rear bumper. Objectively not perfect! Yes yes the doors and trunk aren't aligned and the hood needs to go down a bit.

Attachments

• 20200923_171118.jpg
    20200923_171118.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 20200923_171058.jpg
    20200923_171058.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200923_171038.jpg
    20200923_171038.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20200923_171108.jpg
    20200923_171108.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200923_171051.jpg
    20200923_171051.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 164
Took delivery today, white on white and it looks beautiful. Vin 43xxx, made in August. Door trim was slightly misaligned but they fixed that within 10 mins. Gaps are good. Had to touch up a little corner where paint looked damaged, but it was basically inside the gap, so not visible unless you looked for it.

Attachments

• 95F2AE2D-471C-4FD2-B172-E2C1BCF6242A.jpeg
    95F2AE2D-471C-4FD2-B172-E2C1BCF6242A.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: KyleATMn
Picked up my car today. Vin 53xxx. Front bumper shade very slightly off. Had to stare at it up close to notice it. And only if my eyes jumped back and forth between bumper and frunk. One of the rep said they couldn’t do anything about it because it wasn’t really noticeable.

Attachments

• 425FB2E8-E347-4049-867C-5040F8D79A3A.jpeg
    425FB2E8-E347-4049-867C-5040F8D79A3A.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 146
i dont think i ever chimed in on this thread regarding my paint woes, but basically the door panels all had splotchy paint on them and it was extremely noticeable after I took it home and looked at it. When I picked up the car it was bright and sunny out and the splotches were unnoticeable. When i took the car into shade i immediately saw it and logged it in my service visit. They decided to respray all doors and all fenders. They kept the car for 3 weeks and it was sent to Fix Auto in El Monte. I went to check up on the car halfway through the service and they did a good job prepping the car so I was happy. Ultimately i ended up with some missing tabs etc but the paint issue was resolved. This was easily a $3-5k paint job as well as a $2k rental bill from enterprise so it probably cost Tesla around $7k out of pocket that they paid to these vendors to address my paint issue.

i am not extremely happy with the results. I often see other model Y's on the road and jesus the splotchy paint on the doors is so bad still. It's such a shame that these people didn't get their paint issue taken care of. it's so blatantly obvious when you see them driving on the road.

I picked up mine 49xxx yesterday. Rear bumper is slightly off. More visible under certain angles, but not super annoying. Walked around the delivery center parking lot and noticed it on all other models too including X and S.

Seen some under 10xxx VINs of MY and those are significantly worse with yellowish rear bumpers.

After this extensive staring on bumpers I was also noticing that white cars on the road from other manufacturers also have this issues. Especially Hondas. )

I picked up mine 49xxx yesterday. Rear bumper is slightly off. More visible under certain angles, but not super annoying. Walked around the delivery center parking lot and noticed it on all other models too including X and S.

Seen some under 10xxx VINs of MY and those are significantly worse with yellowish rear bumpers.

After this extensive staring on bumpers I was also noticing that white cars on the road from other manufacturers also have this issues. Especially Hondas. )

Pic?

Here you go. First two pictures - my car, third - older VIN (10xxx) and 4th - new Model 3 that was waiting for delivery nearby.View attachment 592605 View attachment 592606 View attachment 592607 View attachment 592608

Trust me you shouldn't worry about that. I was super obsessed with the mismatch, but not anymore. More worried about alignment of the panels and little chip on the steering weel that they will try to fix on Monday.
That last pic is super yellow

Thought I’d be able to get used to the mismatch on my front bumper but once I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it. Every friend and family I’ve shown it to say they can see it as well. Taking my car back for a return tomorrow and ordering the midnight silver. Really sad because I love the pearl white.

Reactions: raggedy
That last pic is super yellow
Yeah, that is the early VIN (10xxx) I mentioned.

Thought I’d be able to get used to the mismatch on my front bumper but once I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it. Every friend and family I’ve shown it to say they can see it as well. Taking my car back for a return tomorrow and ordering the midnight silver. Really sad because I love the pearl white.
Can you do that? I thought you can't order the same trim even with different color for 12 months after you return.

I agree, that mismatch is a bit annoying, but not worth switching the colour. Black and MSM are sooo plain... )

Yeah, that is the early VIN (10xxx) I mentioned.

Can you do that? I thought you can't order the same trim even with different color for 12 months after you return.

I agree, that mismatch is a bit annoying, but not worth switching the colour. Black and MSM are sooo plain... )

It was a couple of other things as well with the vehicle. The final thing I found was when I rolled down the driver window, it made a loud pop. You’re correct about the no ordering for 12 months. I am having my wife place the order for me.

I brought my car to get PPF and ceramic coating the day after delivery to one of the best shops in the Toronto area. These guys have extensive experience with all brands at all price points. In general, I asked how my Tesla was on the “Tesla scale” and they gave it a 9. On the Ford scale, they gave it a 7, and on the Mercedes scale, they gave it a 4. They were surprised how good mine was, and did say that Tesla has been getting much better over the years, and the new MS’ are getting really good.

I mentioned the white paint mismatch issue everyone is talking about, and they both laughed out loud. “Please, go look at a Lexus, or an Acura” was their reply. They were emphatic. Sure enough, I started looking, and yup, I see it everywhere. Varying degrees of good and bad. My MY is okay, but in certain light and angles, you can see a difference in the panels, and under different light (not just clouds), zero difference. Sometimes, the same panel that looked “off” or “yellow” looks perfect on one half, and off/yellow on the other half. It’s nutty, but I guess it is “multi-coat” and multi-layered.

Lots of evidence online of pearl white paint being a total pain in the ass from lots of people on lots of different cars. Does that mean it can’t be perfect? Nope. Does that mean it always is? Also nope.

I do wish I picked another colour simply because sometimes I can see it, and other times I can’t, but the wife wanted white, and my MS is grey (she hated the blue and red, and black is a whole other set of issues). I learned to live with slightly varying whites on my BMW (flat white, not pearl), so I’ll eventually learn to live with it on my MY.

Amazing, though, that the industry in general hasn’t nailed something seemingly so simple.

I brought my car to get PPF and ceramic coating the day after delivery to one of the best shops in the Toronto area. These guys have extensive experience with all brands at all price points. In general, I asked how my Tesla was on the “Tesla scale” and they gave it a 9. On the Ford scale, they gave it a 7, and on the Mercedes scale, they gave it a 4. They were surprised how good mine was, and did say that Tesla has been getting much better over the years, and the new MS’ are getting really good.

I mentioned the white paint mismatch issue everyone is talking about, and they both laughed out loud. “Please, go look at a Lexus, or an Acura” was their reply. They were emphatic. Sure enough, I started looking, and yup, I see it everywhere. Varying degrees of good and bad. My MY is okay, but in certain light and angles, you can see a difference in the panels, and under different light (not just clouds), zero difference. Sometimes, the same panel that looked “off” or “yellow” looks perfect on one half, and off/yellow on the other half. It’s nutty, but I guess it is “multi-coat” and multi-layered.

Lots of evidence online of pearl white paint being a total pain in the ass from lots of people on lots of different cars. Does that mean it can’t be perfect? Nope. Does that mean it always is? Also nope.

I do wish I picked another colour simply because sometimes I can see it, and other times I can’t, but the wife wanted white, and my MS is grey (she hated the blue and red, and black is a whole other set of issues). I learned to live with slightly varying whites on my BMW (flat white, not pearl), so I’ll eventually learn to live with it on my MY.

Amazing, though, that the industry in general hasn’t nailed something seemingly so simple.
Can you show some pics of your bumper? Would like to see how near perfect looks like.

My crystal white pearl Subaru WRX exhibited flawless match, which is why the MY bumper mismatch was so galling to me.