Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a dilemma. I was going to return my vehicle tomorrow but submitted a service request the other day showing my bumper paint mismatch. I purposefully chose the photo that showed the mismatch under specific lighting. I just got an email saying the service center ordered a new front bumper unpainted but there’s a disclaimer saying they may not use the parts ordered if they find that the part is within tesla standard. How likely is it that they see the car and refuse to fix? Under direct sunlight it doesn’t stand out. The service date is October 8 way past the return window.

Attachments

• 6B89A418-C611-491F-A9EA-EF9017C7B02E.jpeg
    6B89A418-C611-491F-A9EA-EF9017C7B02E.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 98EF6EBF-A171-44AB-A08A-200031B3488B.jpeg
    98EF6EBF-A171-44AB-A08A-200031B3488B.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 144
I have a dilemma. I was going to return my vehicle tomorrow but submitted a service request the other day showing my bumper paint mismatch. I purposefully chose the photo that showed the mismatch under specific lighting. I just got an email saying the service center ordered a new front bumper unpainted but there’s a disclaimer saying they may not use the parts ordered if they find that the part is within tesla standard. How likely is it that they see the car and refuse to fix? Under direct sunlight it doesn’t stand out. The service date is October 8 way past the return window.
Based on your pictures, the color is pretty darn close and looks better than others posted here. I probably wouldn’t bother with it and they might decline. If it bothers you that much, take it back and get a finally ruling before your window runs out.

Yeah, I would rather have them fix frunk alignment. Color is fine.

I think your color looks fine. The bumper and other panels are different materials and the bumpers are rounded causing light refractions appearing to be different colors. This happens on all cars and colors. The pearl and multi coat process accentuates it

Like others here. I actually got over the bumpers. Honestly, most white cars have it, especially if it's pearl white. Some manufacturer's use a different type of white and doesn't cause this issue as much.

Now, I'm concerned about them fixing the misalignment, panel gaps.

Here you go. First two pictures - my car, third - older VIN (10xxx) and 4th - new Model 3 that was waiting for delivery nearby.View attachment 592605 View attachment 592606 View attachment 592607 View attachment 592608

Trust me you shouldn't worry about that. I was super obsessed with the mismatch, but not anymore. More worried about alignment of the panels and little chip on the steering weel that they will try to fix on Monday.

Thank you, ya I see it on every pic. My Model Y is on the slightly yellow tint in certain light and angles. Probably just going to try and live with it. Rest of my panels are good so maybe I wont push my luck haha.

I just brought my Y in this morning for all of the delivery day adjustments and having them look at the rear bumper for a fix. They told me if they deem it is bad enough to fix, they would order a bumper and freshly paint to match the surrounding panels. We shall see!

Can you show some pics of your bumper? Would like to see how near perfect looks like.

Never said it was "near perfect". Pretty sure I said it matched and that "My MY is okay".

You'll see that under the left tail light, near the bumper crease, it closely matches the hatch to the right of it (especially along the bumper crease and extreme bottom left edge). Look to the right side, under the right tail light, and the bumper is clearly yellow in hue, and doesn't quite match the hatch immediately to the left. But lo and behold, above the right tail light, the hatch is yellow in hue also. You can clearly see the colour temperature difference in the reflection of the lights (this picture was taken at my detailer's shop).

If you focus on the lip below the hatch, it looks cool on the left, yellow from the middle to the right, progressively getting warmer (yellow). Look at the light reflection where the DUAL MOTOR badge is - very yellow, and to the left of the right tail light. Look at any of the light reflections to the left and they are mostly white (exception being the vertical reflection below the left tail light).

My takeaway is that this paint is complex, multi-layered, and plays tricks on your brain and eyes when you want it to. Depending on what environment you're in, angle you're looking at it from, what the light source is, panel angle, and yes, paint consistency (thickness is probable a contributor too), it changes, and it can look pretty bad, or perfectly fine. I would logically think flat white would have been a whole lot less trouble for Tesla (despite what Elon says), but I obviously don't know that for sure. Not one person I've shown the car to (car geeks and normal people alike) have mentioned anything about the paint being different, and after pointing it out, half of them can't see what I'm talking about and think I'm crazy.

Is it perfect? Sometimes it looks perfect, other times no. It's okay, and I believe it matches, but I do see the differences in different light and circumstances (between all panels - not just the bumpers). You're obviously free to draw your own conclusions. I get why some people rejected their cars. Some of the pictures I've seen are horrendous.

I'm choosing to move on, accept the weird paint, and enjoy the car. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Ml007 and Balthezor
Never said it was "near perfect". Pretty sure I said it matched and that "My MY is okay".

You'll see that under the left tail light, near the bumper crease, it closely matches the hatch to the right of it (especially along the bumper crease and extreme bottom left edge). Look to the right side, under the right tail light, and the bumper is clearly yellow in hue, and doesn't quite match the hatch immediately to the left. But lo and behold, above the right tail light, the hatch is yellow in hue also. You can clearly see the colour temperature difference in the reflection of the lights (this picture was taken at my detailer's shop).

If you focus on the lip below the hatch, it looks cool on the left, yellow from the middle to the right, progressively getting warmer (yellow). Look at the light reflection where the DUAL MOTOR badge is - very yellow, and to the left of the right tail light. Look at any of the light reflections to the left and they are mostly white (exception being the vertical reflection below the left tail light).

My takeaway is that this paint is complex, multi-layered, and plays tricks on your brain and eyes when you want it to. Depending on what environment you're in, angle you're looking at it from, what the light source is, panel angle, and yes, paint consistency (thickness is probable a contributor too), it changes, and it can look pretty bad, or perfectly fine. I would logically think flat white would have been a whole lot less trouble for Tesla (despite what Elon says), but I obviously don't know that for sure. Not one person I've shown the car to (car geeks and normal people alike) have mentioned anything about the paint being different, and after pointing it out, half of them can't see what I'm talking about and think I'm crazy.

Is it perfect? Sometimes it looks perfect, other times no. It's okay, and I believe it matches, but I do see the differences in different light and circumstances (between all panels - not just the bumpers). You're obviously free to draw your own conclusions. I get why some people rejected their cars. Some of the pictures I've seen are horrendous.

I'm choosing to move on, accept the weird paint, and enjoy the car. :)

This is the best mindset. Honestly no point to mull over it unless its terrible. I think it looks fine.

Just thought I’d post an update. Today was my service date appointment. I think I got lucky that it was a cloudy day. Brought the car in and during check in they asked to see the bumper. The guy said he could clearly see the mismatch paint and sent it off to the body shop. Got a text later in the day saying there’s a possibility the paint may still not match if they paint a new bumper and if I wanted to proceed with replacing it. I told them yes and now here’s hoping they do well with the paint matching! I also get a model s loaner to play with while they’re working on it :D

Reactions: DennyL and raggedy
^ not to worry, a proper body shop will match the colors much better than the factory did. I had a pearl white Prius that needed some body work prior to trade-in. The shop had to try 6 different "mixtures" of the white paint with the pearl substance, before they found a formula that worked. When I traded it in, even the dealership couldn't tell that anything had been resprayed.

^ not to worry, a proper body shop will match the colors much better than the factory did. I had a pearl white Prius that needed some body work prior to trade-in. The shop had to try 6 different "mixtures" of the white paint with the pearl substance, before they found a formula that worked. When I traded it in, even the dealership couldn't tell that anything had been resprayed.

Thanks for the reassurance! I was thinking it would at least come out looking better than what it was before at the minimum. At least they wouldn't send the car back looking completely off haha.