Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior Door Panels Are Going Away Soon.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t have to agree with me but you should be aware that everything Tesla do is to improve efficiency of their process and cars. They don’t make changes for sake of making changes. The company encourages any employee to suggest ideas to even save 30seconds of time car spent in assembly. Everything from Gigapress to welds to octovalve are manifestation of that obsession.

Go watch Munro’s entire series on model Y and you will see how much improvements are made inside the car compared to model 3 despite using 70% similar parts. These are changes we will never see yet they did them to improve assembly efficiency.

I just got my Tesla (Jan 9) white interior and it came with the white door panels which I guess I didn’t notice when I test drove, but I don’t like them. When are they making this change to black door panel? I wish I had known I would have waited. HELP: any advice to go about getting black door panels, or anyone want to do a swap?

I just got my Tesla (Jan 9) white interior and it came with the white door panels which I guess I didn’t notice when I test drove, but I don’t like them. When are they making this change to black door panel? I wish I had known I would have waited. HELP: any advice to go about getting black door panels, or anyone want to do a swap?

They're being used now in the China-built MY but they currently don't offer the white interior there so it's wood trim on the doors. I'm sure that when they start incorporating the new panels in Fremont, there will be others who would be interested in switching. Personally, I love the white panels because they brighten up the cabin... especially the rear.

It seems that Tesla only makes changes that result in cost savings to them, while reducing the desirability of the vehicle.

Drop passenger lumbar support. Ugh.
Ugly, less practical centre console. Ugh.
White door panels replaced with black. Ugh.
Drop radar, deprecate driver assist functions. Ugh.

etc.

Reactions: 2101Guy
It seems that Tesla only makes changes that result in cost savings to them, while reducing the desirability of the vehicle.

etc.

@tonyb99 of course, those were preceded by the following changes that did not increase the cost to the customer at all and increased the desirability:
Added dual-pane front glass. Yay!
Updated center console to get rid of fingerprint and dust magnet piano black and fussy door. Yay!
Improved panel gaps and build quality. Yay!
Added free USB stick for sentry & dashcam recording. Yay!

I know I'm missing at least a couple more things off the top of my head.
EDIT: here's a couple more:
Added heated steering wheel. Yay!
Started adding rear door PPF and/or front mud flaps in colder climate markets. Yay!

Reactions: cancoi

etc.
I don't think they have changed the door card yet. It is still white. That said, the black alcantara on the door panel looks better. It adds a third texture and makes the cabin feel richer.

I massively prefer the new center console. Old one looked cheap.

The main change which is negative is the radar. That is a big loss of functionality and very annoying.

Has anyone taken delivery of a Y in the USA with the revised (China/Australia) door card?

I’m hoping for delivery in 4-6 weeks and would much prefer the new design which causes the dash to wrap around and will probably not get as grubby/worn looking due to elbow on door rubbing against the larger white panel…

Has anyone taken delivery of a Y in the USA with the revised (China/Australia) door card?

I’m hoping for delivery in 4-6 weeks and would much prefer the new design which causes the dash to wrap around and will probably not get as grubby/worn looking due to elbow on door rubbing against the larger white panel…
waiting on delivery but I test drove on 7/3 (car had just been sent over at the beginning of the quarter, literally the day before) and the panel was still white.

Break down the supply chain. No longer you need to keep and order smaller inventory of white leather panels. The majority door now becomes common and only the side inserts are different. Drastically minimizing the separate door panel builds and inserts are adjusted later in the production line after major body panel assembly. Cost optimization comes in different form.

ya, I like it too.
Agreed. Simplifies the supply chain. You only need black door panels instead of black and white ones. So even if the panels aren’t cheaper per se, you save in time of assembly and speeds up assembly.

I think if you are removing what you once had there should be a price difference for that package, but at the same time, they've made upgrades. So it's a tough call for me. Lost the white panels, but got rid of the lead acid battery. Since it's an option with a defined price for certain things it should be priced accordingly. For me it's a tough call because we ordered ours before all of the price increases, but for those who got those price increases, I feel they got burned a bit. It looks like it only applies to the model 3 so far in regards to the pictures on Tesla's website. :-(