Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White seats & Child seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my new MS 90D with white seats. (Yes I did get in on the recent deal to move the 90D’s out of inventory.) We have a 15 mo old with car seat. I’m concerned with what negative wear or discoloration could happen to the white seat. Anyone with experience or recommendations?

Seat protectors!

This for the back seat - seat belt notches are a little small, so I simply enlarged one with scissors to make it easier to attach seat belt when your kid starts using a booster.

From Amazon - Brica Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector

And for the back of the drivers seat.

Diono Stow "N Go Car Organizer

We just picked up our P90DL Model X with white perf seats. We threw down the Tesla brand blanket draped halfway up the back, across the seat, and draped down and rolled neatly. Previously we used a small woven blanket. Both keep down on the memory effect of the seat impressions, and i hope will keep the perfs from tearing.

No issue with and without blankets with car seats in my Model S the last few years with my other kids

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The seat protector seems like an easy solution.
What car seat do you have? I have white seats in my MS and I can tell you from experience that you will run into a couple of issues depending on: 1) brand of seat 2) reverse mounted vs forward mounted 3) permanent or temporary installation.

1) We had the Diono R120 and the RXT (same frame/dimensions) and in reverse, the seat will not fit behind the drivers (or passengers seat) without having the front seats pushed forward. I had success running them in reverse in the middle (between the seats) using the super latches on either side. Depending on how reclined your drivers seat is (and passengers seat), pay attention to the top corners as the Diono can (and will) cut into the side leather of the Premium seats.

2) in Forward configuration, the Diono is TOO TALL so it will want to rest on the rear headrests and cause the child seat to sit too upright. There is no way to make it more reclined unless you stuff a bunch of rolled towels at the bottom base (and fill the gap) between the lower portion of the car seat and the seat-back. If your toddler falls asleep, he/she will undoubtedly be leaning with the head tilted forward all the time. The top of the car seat WILL cut into the headrest.

3) My solution was to shop for another car seat (in forward configuration) that has an head extender so we ended up going with the Britax Boulevard. This car seat just barely sits below the headrest and the head portion of the seat extends above the shell thus clearing the car head rest and not putting pressure on it. This seat also seats more "reclined" so the child will not be sitting as upright. Downside to this is their legs/feet will touch the back of your drivers seat so you might get an occasional "kick" and "nudge". I take off my daughters shoes now evertime I load her.

4) Lastly, the tether on the Diono will have to be fished around either side of the headrest and WILL cut into the headrest. The Britax "wraps" around the headrest on both sides and creates less issues on the tether but the adjusting buckle will still imprint itself on the edge of the leather.

LAST NOTES: I usually load the seat on the weekends and keep it in the car all weekend long, then on Monday, i remove the seat. I do notice a significant amount of "creasing" on the headrest and on the bottom of the bench seat (but after a few days, the creases minimize in nature). However, I can see this becoming an issue after prolonged usage. Thankfully, the Britax is significantly easier to install/remove with their click-tight feature so it makes taking it out and in a breeze). My other candidate was a Pria85 but i found that one to be too bulky and wide to fit properly.

I do have a seat protector from Diono (full back and bottom cover) but it makes no difference on the headrest. I can see faint crease lines on my headrest. If you leave the seat in full time, I am sure you will see permanent damage. I have perforated white seats for reference. No discoloration issues but definitely creasing from the seat tether... Also the "Pleather" will wipe clean with baby wipes, but the stitching will pick up any dirt/smudges so you will definitely want to keep an eye out on the stitching...

Hope this information helps.

Last edited:
My kids have almost all aged out of car seats. Liked the recaro forward facing seats and boosters, the very last booster we bought (still had a BMW) was a cybex with m-fix which keeps it from moving around, but it didn't fit the narrow tesla latch connectors very well.