Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Seats - Jeans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To minimize this from happening you might consider having Opti-Guard Leather installed. It was designed for this exact purpose. See the video I made about it below.

However, to clean your seats effectively and safely in the meantime, use the lightest cleaner possible and work your way up in strength as needed. Too many people pull out the big guns first and either damage their seats or scrub too hard and damage the stitching. Also realize the some blue dyes are permanent so you might only be able to lighten the stain. Know when to stop. If the following method does not work, just stop and either live with it or contact a certified IDA Professional in your area.

This is the order we professionally clean blue-jean dyed white Tesla seats:
Opti-Coat No Rinse diluted 255:1 (one ounce in 2 gallons of water)
Opti-Coat Fabric Clean and Protect straight from the bottle
Opti-Coat Power Clean diluted with 9 parts water.
With each step just dampen a microfiber towel with the product and scrub lightly, being mindful of the raised stitching on the side bolsters. Let the product do the work, not your muscles.
Those Opti products are only available from certified Opti installers or from the links I provided.
Good luck!

No offense, wasn't looking for a sales pitch. Does anyone else have any advice?

It's not a sales pitch - Optimum products are great, and easy to use for "beginners" like us who want protection.

If you really want good protection, you should look at what the pros are using. I've researched and watched literally 100 videos on paint and leather protection. I myself have the white vegan seats, and used Gyeon Q2 Ceramic coating on the seats - which I personally think will last the longest and will prevent jean dye transfer from sticking.

To minimize this from happening you might consider having Opti-Guard Leather installed. It was designed for this exact purpose. See the video I made about it below.

However, to clean your seats effectively and safely in the meantime, use the lightest cleaner possible and work your way up in strength as needed. Too many people pull out the big guns first and either damage their seats or scrub too hard and damage the stitching. Also realize the some blue dyes are permanent so you might only be able to lighten the stain. Know when to stop. If the following method does not work, just stop and either live with it or contact a certified IDA Professional in your area.

This is the order we professionally clean blue-jean dyed white Tesla seats:
Opti-Coat No Rinse diluted 255:1 (one ounce in 2 gallons of water)
Opti-Coat Fabric Clean and Protect straight from the bottle
Opti-Coat Power Clean diluted with 9 parts water.
With each step just dampen a microfiber towel with the product and scrub lightly, being mindful of the raised stitching on the side bolsters. Let the product do the work, not your muscles.
Those Opti products are only available from certified Opti installers or from the links I provided.
Good luck!

Jason, what do you think of ceramic coating for vegan leather? I applied Gyon Q2 Leather Protector - seems to be working fine so far. I don't know how good my application was, but I was told by another detailer it's what they use.

No offense, wasn't looking for a sales pitch. Does anyone else have any advice?
Maybe I worded my response incorrectly, in no way was that a sales pitch because I do not make any money off you buying Opti products.
I am an IDA Certified professional with the Skills Validated designation who's been cleaning seats for over 2 decades. I posted the quickest, safest way to clean white Tesla seats, and which products to use, and how to buy them (from someone else).

However, I've heard that any Magic Eraser type sponge will do the job on that. (We've used with success on an occasional pen mark too.)
I strongly recommend against using a Magic Eraser to clean your seats.
The reason is because (as others have mentioned) is that the abrasive nature of melamine foam 9what the Magic Eraser is made of) makes it like a mild sandpaper. Sure it's great at cleaning things, but it does so by abrading off the surface. You will get away with this removing blue jean dye a few times, but you're' seriously shortening the lifespan of your seats.

I strongly recommend against using a Magic Eraser to clean your seats.
The reason is because (as others have mentioned) is that the abrasive nature of melamine foam 9what the Magic Eraser is made of) makes it like a mild sandpaper. Sure it's great at cleaning things, but it does so by abrading off the surface. You will get away with this removing blue jean dye a few times, but you're' seriously shortening the lifespan of your seats.

Interesting. Had not noticed any significant wear, but we only use it about once a year anyway, and only on spots where I've been careless with a pen.

We'll be on the lookout, just in case.

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Interesting. Had not noticed any significant wear, but we only use it about once a year anyway, and only on spots where I've been careless with a pen.
We'll be on the lookout, just in case.
Thanks for the info.
I would just use Magic Eraser as a last resort if nothing else works. Just know that you're basically sanding off your seat material every time you use it.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Jason, what do you think of ceramic coating for vegan leather? I applied Gyon Q2 Leather Protector - seems to be working fine so far. I don't know how good my application was, but I was told by another detailer it's what they use.
I definitely recommend ceramic coating for light colored automotive interiors.
Gyon should be fine for a consumer-grade product.

It should be noted that almost all automotive leather, and "vegan" leather should be cleaned and treated in the same way because almost all automotive leather has a polyurethane coating, which is what vegan seats are made out of.
This is why leather conditioner on automotive seats is a waste of money because it cannot penetrate into the actual leather. It just sits on the surface until your clothing absorbs it. A notable exception is on perforated leather seats where the liquid conditioner can actually come in contact with the leather hide and help keep it pliable.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyErik
The key for bluejean stains is to catch them as early as possible. I had some minor staining that I got out with soap and a rag. Next step would have been alcohol.

My last car had tan leather seats. I could not get all the blue jean stain out of them. The white vegan seats do far better in that regard.

Clorox or Lysol wipes take the jean stains right off.

I would not recommend magic eraser, it is abrasive and will wear the seat material
Yes! Never use magic eraser on something that can scratch. Used that on a hardwood floor once...whoops.

Reactions: FlyErik
I'll have to post pictures of what I've got happening to one of my seats. I'm guessing my wife wore something that transferred but the pattern is rather weird.

Baby wipes & automotive interior cleaning wipes didn't do a thing to it.

Magic eraser, along with barring my wife from wearing pants that have never been washed will be the last resort.

IMG_2772.jpg

I'll have to post pictures of what I've got happening to one of my seats. I'm guessing my wife wore something that transferred but the pattern is rather weird.

Baby wipes & automotive interior cleaning wipes didn't do a thing to it.

Magic eraser, along with barring my wife from wearing pants that have never been washed will be the last resort.
I have those also, they look like stretch marks to me. I don't think it's a stain issue, but a wear issue. If anyone has a solution I'm open.

I have those also, they look like stretch marks to me. I don't think it's a stain issue, but a wear issue. If anyone has a solution I'm open.

Yeah I wondered also if that could be the case, of the use of the heat seater on higher settings could be contributing. It is not happening at all though on the driver's side and my passenger seat is completely unoccupied 95% of the time.

Car is only six months old so if it continues to "ripen" then I'll eventually have to press Tesla on doing something about it as I paid quite a bit more for their supposedly "best" interior option.