Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhiteStar styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hasn't anyone posted a pic of the Mazda 6 before?

I believe it's called a liftback. At first glance, it looks like a sedan, but upon closer inspection, it's a hatchback.

Yeah, go back to the very first post I put here to start this topic back in 2007. I had envisioned a Mazda6 like hatchback from the beginning. Back then it was the older model
03.mazda.6.mps.f34.500.jpg

but I did the blend thing with the more recent version:
3280946630_ccc58f7921.jpg

And here I had a picture of the hatchback:
mazda_6_5door_niot.net.jpg%20%285%29.jpg

And here:
main.php

You should go back and re-read this topic from the beginning since a lot of the hatchback talk is rehash.

(BTW: I had been away from the forum this week due to a ski trip)

Last edited:
Maybe it's me, but I'm not really seeing this link between the Mazda 6 and the image that appeared yesterday. Subtly different roof line, different detailing, different nose. I'm sure there are several other mid-market saloons/sedans that you could make the same point with otherwise.

I wasn't suggesting exact match or anything like that. Just responding to Joseph's comment. You might recall when we first heard that 'S' might be a hatchback / fastback some people thought that meant ugly, unusual, and dated, but I brought up the Mazda 6 as a not-bad-looking mainstream example of a hatchback design.
( Then, coincidentally Tesla brings on a stylist from Mazda to finish out the Model S. )

It looks like the styling IS closer to Aston Martin & Maserati than anything else.

Last edited:
Possible 2+3+2 seating layout

OK but my point is that it will not have the complete SHAPE of a Wagon but will have the functionality of it. I think it will either be or have the option of 2+3+2 seating as a wagon. The additional +2 seating will be hidden most of the time. ...

2+3+2 seating might position the passengers something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=150&d=1235380710.gif

(Possible seating layout. NOT the actual Model S, just TEG's cartoon blend of the teaser plus Jaguar C-XF)

attachment.php?attachmentid=151&d=1235380743.gif

(possible seating layout - 2 rear-facing seats usually folded into the floor)

attachment.php?attachmentid=152&d=1235381427.gif

Attachments

• Model-S-2+3+2.jpg
    Model-S-2+3+2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Tesla-Model-S-2+3+2-seating.jpg
    Tesla-Model-S-2+3+2-seating.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 115
  • RF_third_row_stationWagon_s.jpg
    RF_third_row_stationWagon_s.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
IMHO: If you need to use the additional 2 jump seats there's no way you'll be able to fit any reasonable amount of luggage for a trip (up front boot or not) ... and if you don't use them ... well there you go, there's your cargo space. Hopefully they use the front space intelligently (electronics, cooling, motor (do I hear anyone say Front Wheel Drive :)rolleyes:) ??? ) ... etc)

Speaking of FWD ... or RWD ... or AWD ... any specs (or info) available on that yet ?

ChargeIt,

Are you saying that you want both !?!?! The seats and the storage ? Or are you saying yes dual purpose usage of one or the other would be a good thing ? I can not see ever wanting to take 7 passengers AND their luggage on a trip with a sedan .... car is just too small for that purpose ....

Hopefully they use the front space intelligently (electronics, cooling, motor (do I hear anyone say Front Wheel Drive :)rolleyes:) ??? ) ... etc)

Speaking of FWD ... or RWD ... or AWD ... any specs (or info) available on that yet ?
I don't know if they said anything officially, but I'm fairly sure it'll be RWD like most luxury sports coupe-sedans.

An EV provides enough flexibility that you can have RWD without sacrificing efficiency since the motor is relatively small in volume and it'll probably fit in the back with some clever packaging and still provide trunk space.

But it'll get fairly crowded back there with the battery pack, and then there's the question of cooling and servicing. Who knows? It might end up FWD in the end, though I doubt it since that doesn't match the segment.

Last edited:
I am with Stop. RWD and all of the electronics and PEM etc in the front under the hood. Battery is long low and flat under the whole car. Just my completely uneducated guess !!!! :smile:

That might work if the battery is flat enough. But then if it's too flat the shell will use too much metal; I don't think the battery is so large that it has to run under the whole car.

Not flat enough and it intrudes into passenger space (or will make the car taller). It should be interesting to see how they package the battery in this car.

I'm thinking about it and it seems like the area under the rear seats on to near the rear bumper would be perfect (seems like the size will be small enough to fit under there if you consider the Roadster's battery volume), but then I don't know how they will fit the motor if they put it there.

Last edited:
I always go back to the RAV4EV layout when we talk about batteries under the floor:
rav4ev.jpeg

I suppose it could be an L-shaped pack with a bunch of batteries vertical near the front "firewall" and the remainder under the floor.

At one point Tesla said that one of the nice things about so many small cells is that they could make a pack have a fairly custom shape to fit into whatever shape of area is most convenient.

4WD/AWD is a nice idea, but I am guessing that they will avoid that complexity and extra weight for now.

Last edited:
ChargeIt,

Are you saying that you want both !?!?! The seats and the storage ? Or are you saying yes dual purpose usage of one or the other would be a good thing ? I can not see ever wanting to take 7 passengers AND their luggage on a trip with a sedan .... car is just too small for that purpose ....

Sorry if my grammar caused confusion ... I'm with you. I don't want both simultaneously ... I'm not even a fan of the jump seats (never used mine, but I have removed them temporarily to make even more space for that 4-person ski trip) ... but then again ... a little-league/soccer parent ... ? as opposed to a family-with-luggage trip ? Hmmm ...

Last edited:
I really wish I could, but I don't want to risk getting anyone in trouble. That said, it's pretty common knowledge among anyone who has had a bit of advanced info on the car. In fact, I bet if any Roadster owners call Tesla up saying they want to put a deposit on the Model S, they would gladly tell you if you ask is it RWD or FWD. :)