Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who can catch Tesla ? They seem to be experiencing exponential growth…..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks
This GM dealership is apparently selling a lot of EVs :)

View attachment 819073
It appears a lot of Tesla owners are trading in for a General Motors vehicle. o_O

IMG_1100.jpeg

Last edited:
Put the post below in another thread, but it is relevant here as well:

There has been a LOT of doom and gloom recently about EVs in the press - especially from certain quarters of the business press who have always been hoping for EVs to fail. High demand for the vehicles is not materializing, or at least not as quickly as predicted. Losses by some manufactures, including the big legacy automakers, are steep. Plans are being rethought. Some of the press is crowing about Telsa's decreasing margins due in part to its price cutting.

There is some merit to the view that the EV transition is in some trouble right now. And that is especially the case with legacy manufacturers (although some new EV firms, like Lucid, are in trouble too). As this article suggests though, despite some cheering that Tesla is not doing quite as well as hoped, they are the exception and are still making a lot of money from their EVs.

www.businessinsider.com

Tesla's enduring power is even clearer after the EV competition in Detroit falls flat

Tesla's competition can't keep up. Traditional auto companies were supposed to catch Tesla in the EV market. The past week shows how badly Detroit has failed to do this.
www.businessinsider.com
www.businessinsider.com

So good for Tesla. But it is still worrisome for the EV project, and for traditional North American auto manufacturing, that other companies here have not got this figured out yet.

legacy autos are doubling down on their tardiness... school lunch eaten by tesla 2x... lol

There has been a LOT of doom and gloom recently about EVs in the press - especially from certain quarters of the business press who have always been hoping for EVs to fail. High demand for the vehicles is not materializing, or at least not as quickly as predicted. Losses by some manufactures, including the big legacy automakers, are steep. Plans are being rethought. Some of the press is crowing about Telsa's decreasing margins due in part to its price cutting.
Anybody ever heard of "Osborne"?
What did Ford think would happen when they announced that their next gen products wouldn't only support a lame charging infrastructure? Who's going to run out and by today's F150 or Mache when they may support NACS next year?
It could hurt Tesla a bit as well as folks who might jump on a Tesla today may 'wait and see' what is available next year?

Put the post below in another thread, but it is relevant here as well:

There is some merit to the view that the EV transition is in some trouble right now. And that is especially the case with legacy manufacturers (although some new EV firms, like Lucid, are in trouble too). As this article suggests though, despite some cheering that Tesla is not doing quite as well as hoped, they are the exception and are still making a lot of money from their EVs.

www.businessinsider.com

Tesla's enduring power is even clearer after the EV competition in Detroit falls flat

Tesla's competition can't keep up. Traditional auto companies were supposed to catch Tesla in the EV market. The past week shows how badly Detroit has failed to do this.
www.businessinsider.com
www.businessinsider.com

So good for Tesla. But it is still worrisome for the EV project, and for traditional North American auto manufacturing, that other companies here have not got this figured out yet.

The big concern is that the EV transition may slow down if the legacy makers double down on ICE vehicles and lobby against government support for EV sales and infrastructure.

This is the sort of article that I am talking about regarding the supposed 'meltdown' in EV sales (although I have seen many others like it over the past few weeks). I think that 'meltdown' is too strong a word, but I do think that there is some legitimacy to the observation that the upward curve of EV sales is not what some expected at this point, and especially so for vehicles not made by Tesla. The big factors identified by this article are that there is already a degree of market saturation among 'first adopters' and that uptake of EVs among the more general population is being hampered by concerns about affordability, range anxiety, and insufficient charging infrastructure. I think that there is some merit in those points.

I get the impression Tesla is still growing, maybe Hyundai/Kia, Polestar, Vivian, Lucid? It's clear Ford, GM, Mercedes and Volkswagen are not. Not sure about BMW, Porsche or Audi. I thought this EV adoption projection attached was surprising (EV's level off at 30% of the total car market)...more bearish long term than I'd been led to believe?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 2.50.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 2.50.36 PM.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 23
...especially from certain quarters of the business press who have always been hoping for EVs to fail. ...

... some cheering that Tesla is not doing quite as well as hoped, ...

It is expected some will always say bad things about opponents to "their team" (as can be seen with the resents wars to a despicable level)

Remove the names and product info and show an investor the numbers, all will say this is an excellent investment.

My prediction is about 2027 sales of BEV will = ICE.
California is already at 25% of new car sales.
Are you talking about new automobile sales? And, are you talking about globally, the US or some other country?

For the US, we have Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll". I voted after 2040 and still stand by that. I live in Silicon Valley where we have lots of BEVs and have been driving BEVs as my primary car for over 10 years and have been ICEV-less in my household of 1 since end of Jan 2019.

I got an answer to the above part. per page 27 of http://www.jama.or.jp/english/reports/docs/MIoJ2022_e.pdf, global motor vehicle production excluding motorcycles were these numbers:
2019: 92.183 million
2020: 77.711 million
2021: 80.145 million

http://www.jama.or.jp/english/reports/docs/MIoJ2021_e.pdf page 28 adds another data point:
2018: 96.869 million

At EV industry I posted some numbers about Japan. I posted a bit more info at Japanese EV market - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. Hint/preview: In 2021 in Japan, new BEVs made up 0.5% out of 4.45 million new vehicles. Non-plugin hybrids made up about 32%. PHEVs were about 0.51%.

If you look at page 17 of http://www.jama.or.jp/english/reports/docs/MIoJ2022_e.pdf, new BEV sales hit their peak in Japan in 2018 at 26.5K units sold in a year. They have not returned to that record yet.
As I posted elsewhere:
http://www.jama.or.jp/english/reports/docs/MIoJ2023_e.pdf is the report for Japan for 2023.

Per page 5, 4.2 million motor vehicles were sold in Japan in 2022. 3.448 million were passenger cars.
Per page 16, of those passenger cars, these were the # of new registrations in Japan of these types in 2022:
hybrid: 1.45 million
plug-in hybrid: 37.7K
BEV: 58.8K
FCEV: 848
clean diesels 140K

So, in Japan if I did my math right, of their passenger cars, ~42% were HEVs, ~1.1% were PHEVs and ~1.7% were BEVs.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld

Are you talking about new automobile sales? And, are you talking about globally, the US or some other country?

For the US, we have Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll". I voted after 2040 and still stand by that. I live in Silicon Valley where we have lots of BEVs and have been driving BEVs as my primary car for over 10 years and have been ICEV-less in my household of 1 since end of Jan 2019.
New car sales in US.
Seeing the latest pull back by most car mfg in US, I will up it to end of 2028.

It seems the Legacy companies finally realized it was much harder than expected, putting on brakes to ramp up.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
The problem Toyota have, is no one wants to buy their cars … they messed about with Hydrogen and other distractions.
"Tokyo, Jan. 9 (Jiji Press)--Toyota Motor Corp. is believed to have secured the top spot in global vehicle sales for the fourth straight year in 2023.

German automaker Volkswagen Group said Tuesday that its global vehicle sales rose 12 pct from the previous year to about 9.24 million units.

The Japanese automaker sold over 10.22 million vehicles globally in the first 11 months of 2023 alone."
Cwerdna, you make it sound like things are fine at Toyota !
There were doing fine in 2023 (see above) until the Daihatsu scandal.

Last edited:
Reactions: MontyFloyd
Remember, I'm in California and many of the above folks in that channel are still in California.

My next door neighbor for some reason has 5 cars for 2 drivers. They've only ever had a single EV (currently a '22 Bolt EV). The rest are ICEV. They've had a previous Bolt and a Leaf before that. The husband seems to gallivant around in a relatively new guzzler Silverado despite gas being over $5/gal here. I've pointed out to the husband that even at crazy Pacific Gouge & Extort electricity prices, driving that Bolt is cheaper than the Silverado even when gas was $4/gal. (We have a 19 cent/kWh DC FC within 5 miles of home that is cheaper than charging at home.)

Apparently, he doesn't even usually go very far and not beyond where that DC FC is (he knows where it is too).
In the morning and I double checked in the evening, it seems like the guzzler Silverado (was white) was replaced with a lifted brand new grey Silverado. It still has CA temp placards on it. It looked like there was a ZR2 badge on it (Site Maintenance). Looks like their starting MSRP is just under $70K. Not sure if it's leased or owned. Also not sure about the previous Silverado.

They still have 5 cars for 2 drivers. The 19 cent per kWh DC FC still exists and is much cheaper than charging their single EV (a '22 Bolt) at home.

Oh yeah, there's https://www.reuters.com/business/au...worlds-top-selling-automaker-2023-2024-01-30/.
"TOKYO, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor... retained its crown as the world's top-selling automaker for the fourth consecutive year after posting record annual sales of 11.2 million vehicles in 2023, though its chairman apologised on Tuesday for scandals at three group companies."