Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who can catch Tesla ? They seem to be experiencing exponential growth…..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

“A better way of looking at electric vehicle fires is to compare the number of fires per 100,000 vehicles sold. Researchers from insurance deal site Auto Insurance EZ compiled sales and accident data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and the National Transportation Safety Board. The site found that hybrid vehicles had the most fires per 100,000 sales at 3474.5. There were 1529.9 fires per 100k for gas vehicles and just 25.1 fires per 100k sales for electric vehicles.”

Factor that may not be considered: age of car.
I bet the majority of ICE fires were cars > 10 years old.
Wait in 9 years when millions of BEVs are on road what the rate is then.

Per the article, a number of the ICE vehicles listed for the recalls are far less than 10 years old.

Also, Hybrid models seem to lead all vehicle powertrain types in fires per unit.

Fair enough. But there’s no basis yet to claim EVs are more likely to have fires, so let’s not claim it’s factual?

Agree.
I should have added that to be scientific we need to eliminate variables, such as age. Adding age of car when it caught fire is needed.

And I believe that in over lifespan (a properly built) BEV will have less chance of burning than an ICE car (which is an opinion of mine).

Agree.
I should have added that to be scientific we need to eliminate variables, such as age. Adding age of car when it caught fire is needed.

And I believe that in over lifespan (a properly built) BEV will have less chance of burning than an ICE car (which is an opinion of mine).
Though you're welcome to conclude same, we simply don't know that - so it's just your opinion at this point. Furthermore the causes often have nothing to do with the design of the vehicle. Age is but one. The most common causes of EV fires are accidents and charging. Are fires due to accidents a design flaw, ICE or EV? A EV fires that happen while charging, which may be charge equipment related, a vehicle design flaw? Are ICE fires that happen while fueling a design flaw (rarely)? Let's not be so quick to draw conclusions based on a 30,000 foot view? Unfortunately way too many people base their conclusions on sound bites EVERY day...

Last edited:
Except their cars are exploding.

If this report is credible, 7 BVD cars a day are catching fire, occasionally exploding.
Don't forget that ICE vehicle garages were prohibited from being attached to houses up through the 1950's because they were seen as dangerous fire hazards.
Per old timers, buildings in NYC were prohibited from having parking garages in them. Interestingly enough, supposedly that changed at some point to mandating that ALL buildings MUST HAVE parking in them.
Clearly, the ICE industry managed to solve the problem but it did apparently take several decades to fix the problems and/or build public confidence.

Reactions: nwdiver
Don't forget that ICE vehicle garages were prohibited from being attached to houses up through the 1950's because they were seen as dangerous fire hazards.
Per old timers, buildings in NYC were prohibited from having parking garages in them. Interestingly enough, supposedly that changed at some point to mandating that ALL buildings MUST HAVE parking in them.
Clearly, the ICE industry managed to solve the problem but it did apparently take several decades to fix the problems and/or build public confidence.
While I don’t disagree with your points shouldn’t New developing technology be safer as a primary objective? To say old tech always did it is factual but it seems like along with saving the planet and resources making future technology safer then previous should be fairly high on the list.

Volkswagen CEO Thomas Schäfer said the new Tiguan gets a few more physical controls
than some of the other vehicles in the lineup because customers really don’t like haptic inputs.

He then went so far as to say that
his predecessor Herbert Diess’s decision to go that route “definitely did a lot of damage” to the brand.

In 2019, Tesla vehicles had a lesser chance of catching fire than internal combustion engine vehicles, with a rate of 1 fire for every 175 million miles driven in Teslas compared to 1 fire for every 19 million miles driven in ICE cars.May 5, 2023
Source: Tesla Car Fire Statistics And Trends in 2023.

Not really, a car isn't a smartphone. I welcome the return of physical buttons, I absolutely hate having to do everything via a touchscreen and I personally find it pretty dangerous.
I don't know whether you have a Tesla or not but, to set the record straight, Other than possibly the headlights (who's automatic feature, I find to be flawless after well over 100K miles), in the Model 3 and Y you can control all safety-critical functions from haptic/tactile physical controls. The turn signals are a stalk. You press in on the end of that stalk to turn on the wipers (I find the automatic wiper control to still be lacking). You push and hold for windshield washer. Shifting, steering, brake, and accelerator are all just like any other car. Speed control and voice recognition activation are also via the haptic thumbwheels.
I'm not so sold on the new Model S and X without the turn signal stalk.
I, personally, would like to see a few more haptic and manual controls such as door locks, door latch from rear seats, and emergency/parking brake as well but I can live with what is there now.

I don't know whether you have a Tesla or not but, to set the record straight, Other than possibly the headlights (who's automatic feature, I find to be flawless after well over 100K miles), in the Model 3 and Y you can control all safety-critical functions from haptic/tactile physical controls. The turn signals are a stalk. You press in on the end of that stalk to turn on the wipers (I find the automatic wiper control to still be lacking). You push and hold for windshield washer. Shifting, steering, brake, and accelerator are all just like any other car. Speed control and voice recognition activation are also via the haptic thumbwheels.
I'm not so sold on the new Model S and X without the turn signal stalk.
I, personally, would like to see a few more haptic and manual controls such as door locks, door latch from rear seats, and emergency/parking brake as well but I can live with what is there now.

Honestly, the seat warmer etc. “one tap” functions are really better with touch.

Agree with everything you said above.

I sold my 3 six months ago (still very much follow Tesla), so I’m not sure if anything has changed since, but here are the only nitpicks I have with this whole “bring back physical controls” narrative:

HVAC:

1. Adjusting temperature is not a one tap function and it would be really great having two small knobs or a simple pair of up down switches.

2. IMHO there should never be a “press and hold” function in a moving car’s touch screen. HVAC On/Off should either be a one tap function with a dedicated touch screen button OR a physical control.

Seats
3. With the mess that the V11 was, one could not just switch on the seat warmers like in V10 as they moved it to layer 2. They seemed to have fixed that issue but my point is that the very fact that someone was allowed to release updates with an intentional change like that doesn’t sit well with me and honestly scares me because we are talking about a interface inside very dangerous moving machine operated by humans who can be very easily distracted and confused.

Wipers
4. One tap on off for wiper visible on layer 1 or a physical button on stock.

So, to your point, they’re almost there. Hopefully the next refresh fixes it but Tesla sometimes scares me as they are notorious for removing features in the “next” releases lol

Honestly, the seat warmer etc. “one tap” functions are really better with touch.

Agree with everything you said above.

I sold my 3 six months ago (still very much follow Tesla), so I’m not sure if anything has changed since, but here are the only nitpicks I have with this whole “bring back physical controls” narrative:

HVAC:

1. Adjusting temperature is not a one tap function and it would be really great having two small knobs or a simple pair of up down switches.

2. IMHO there should never be a “press and hold” function in a moving car’s touch screen. HVAC On/Off should either be a one tap function with a dedicated touch screen button OR a physical control.

Seats
3. With the mess that the V11 was, one could not just switch on the seat warmers like in V10 as they moved it to layer 2. They seemed to have fixed that issue but my point is that the very fact that someone was allowed to release updates with an intentional change like that doesn’t sit well with me and honestly scares me because we are talking about a interface inside very dangerous moving machine operated by humans who can be very easily distracted and confused.

Wipers
4. One tap on off for wiper visible on layer 1 or a physical button on stock.

So, to your point, they’re almost there. Hopefully the next refresh fixes it but Tesla sometimes scares me as they are notorious for removing features in the “next” releases lol
Not a disagreement but shows Each person’s expectations and needs are different hence NO system will make everybody happy.
1. How could they make temperature settings Any easier. Set temp actual number, and forget. I have yet to change this since my first drive. I know the temperature I like, why would I need a tuning knob to adjust? (Please add more Blue today?)
2. On/off. Again, if the temperature is what you like, what off command is needed? It’s not like Tuesdays I feel more 71 than 72?
3. Yes they made a change. Was it as fast as everyone wanted, no. Was it done and correct to most people’s liking? Yes
4. Wipers. Again I may be lazy but since day 1 I set to auto and it has never been a second thought. IF I really felt the need to remove a big, I push and hold the button on the stalk problem solved.

Reactions: youngmcdonald
Put the post below in another thread, but it is relevant here as well:

There has been a LOT of doom and gloom recently about EVs in the press - especially from certain quarters of the business press who have always been hoping for EVs to fail. High demand for the vehicles is not materializing, or at least not as quickly as predicted. Losses by some manufactures, including the big legacy automakers, are steep. Plans are being rethought. Some of the press is crowing about Telsa's decreasing margins due in part to its price cutting.

There is some merit to the view that the EV transition is in some trouble right now. And that is especially the case with legacy manufacturers (although some new EV firms, like Lucid, are in trouble too). As this article suggests though, despite some cheering that Tesla is not doing quite as well as hoped, they are the exception and are still making a lot of money from their EVs.

www.businessinsider.com

Tesla's enduring power is even clearer after the EV competition in Detroit falls flat

Tesla's competition can't keep up. Traditional auto companies were supposed to catch Tesla in the EV market. The past week shows how badly Detroit has failed to do this.
www.businessinsider.com
www.businessinsider.com

So good for Tesla. But it is still worrisome for the EV project, and for traditional North American auto manufacturing, that other companies here have not got this figured out yet.

Reactions: Mengy and oldsport