Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Doesn't Care about the Performance Model? vs. AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not arguing cause I understand the difference between want vs. need.
Just trying to use logic that says if you are going to bring up potholes & cold weather then having 18" All Seasons or Snow tires isn't going get you 3.2 secs.

3.2 secs is under the best of all race (incl. weather, tires, suspension, driver etc.) conditions.

So at the end of the day, it's Camaro bragging rights aka just numbers.

Glad to know we aren't arguing, as arguing on the internet is dumb. :)

...That being said, the P3D- is actually a bit faster in a straight line than the P3D+ due to the lighter wheels and brakes. I've measured (with 1 ft rollout, which is standard) 3.09x seconds 0-60 mph with my car on a flat (but not at all "prepped") road multiple times.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I paid extra for a color, dual motor, enhanced autopilot, long-range, premium (only product offered at the time), eventually added full autopilot, and just felt that was enough. Happy I got what I did. But I don't really need the dual motor or color and I certainly wouldn't have needed the extra acceleration of P. Anytime I get on an on-ramp I feel the guy behind me is pleased I'm not slowing them down.

• Funny
Reactions: VQTRVA
It will be one year in two weeks and I love my AWD more and more each day.

I could not afford the huge price difference last year.

When accelerating from a stop, the obvious programmed lag from 0 to ~20 mph annoys me a little bit. However, I understand the need for them to clearly distinguish the AWD from the P3D.

Also, believe it or not, my wife would like the car LESS if it had more power.

Reactions: krislayman
I saw a thread on reddit yesterday where a lot of AWD users chimed in about how they regretted not purchasing the Performance model from the getgo.
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the P model? Even at $6500, I don't have any regrets and absolutely love my AWD. Am I out of the norm for being totally content?
A solid 90% of the posters are pretty salty about not springing for the P when they bought their AWD.
That being said, I had no idea that a P3D- was offered, that I should've done more research on but whats done is done.
There is nothing wrong with you being content and happy with your car. And you can be even *more* content when you think about the money you saved. Enjoy, man, just enjoy. Let the haters hate.

I have a RWD.
Not regretting a thing.

Absolutely agree. There's roughly 1 second different in 0-60 between the performance and the AWD, BUT there's an $8,000 difference in price (as of this morning). So is 1.2 seconds really worth 8 grand and how often do you really use the 1.2 seconds in everyday driving? Similarly, there a whopping .9 second difference between the AWD and the RWD, but here the difference is $9,000 (I know, I know, there are some perks with the AWD over the RWD, like 70 more miles, but not $9k worth) and $17,000 difference between the RWD and the Redline (performance) version. I mean think about it, you take a RWD and a debadged Performance version and other than red brake calipers and a little rear spoiler, they are virtually identical, even the same interior. I think it really gets down to bragging rights more than anything else, certainly 1.2 seconds or 2.1 seconds isn't really that useful in everyday driving. IMO, the RWD really is the best bang for the buck. My next one will probably be the base Y for my wife. Here the difference between the RWD and Perf is only $13k. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those that opted for the redline version, I mean what ever floats your boat, it's just for my specific needs, i.e., a daily driver, I just couldn't justify the added expense.

P3- owner here who is new to Tesla in 2019. I wouldn’t have paid $70k plus for this car because I couldn’t justify that kind of money for my “want” vs need. But at $49,990, it’s an unbelievable deal for what you get. If they dropped the price $5k tomorrow I wouldn’t care. I think the P3- pricing is reasonable today and I couldn’t be happier driving it.

Having driven both the LR AWD car and P3-, if I had the AWD now, and could have got the P3- for a few grand more, I’d be salty for a while. There is no damn reason for the extra power but I will tell you I use it all the time. With that being said the AWD car is fantastic and crazy fast.

My friend has an AWD and we switched cars back to back when I got the P. There is no question on the difference. My friend is actively trying to figure out how to not take a bath and upgrade.

If you haven’t driven one and are the least bit salty, don’t. It will only make it worse.

If you are more mature than I, like OP, you have a great car that you've had great enjoyment out of. Enjoy it.

Absolutely agree. There's roughly 1 second different in 0-60 between the performance and the AWD, BUT there's an $8,000 difference in price (as of this morning). So is 1.2 seconds really worth 8 grand and how often do you really use the 1.2 seconds in everyday driving? Similarly, there a whopping .9 second difference between the AWD and the RWD, but here the difference is $9,000 (I know, I know, there are some perks with the AWD over the RWD, like 70 more miles, but not $9k worth) and $17,000 difference between the RWD and the Redline (performance) version. I mean think about it, you take a RWD and a debadged Performance version and other than red brake calipers and a little rear spoiler, they are virtually identical, even the same interior. I think it really gets down to bragging rights more than anything else, certainly 1.2 seconds or 2.1 seconds isn't really that useful in everyday driving. IMO, the RWD really is the best bang for the buck. My next one will probably be the base Y for my wife. Here the difference between the RWD and Perf is only $13k. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those that opted for the redline version, I mean what ever floats your boat, it's just for my specific needs, i.e., a daily driver, I just couldn't justify the added expense.

I think the thread OP is talking about is regarding the P3-. The difference in price between LR AWD and that car is $2k as of this morning.

Reactions: Scott7
I paid extra for a color, dual motor, enhanced autopilot, long-range, premium (only product offered at the time), eventually added full autopilot, and just felt that was enough. Happy I got what I did. But I don't really need the dual motor or color and I certainly wouldn't have needed the extra acceleration of P. Anytime I get on an on-ramp I feel the guy behind me is pleased I'm not slowing them down.

The LR RWDs were a cool option and I wish they were still around. It should just be base, LR RWD, AWD, P. Not sure what the whole SR, SR+ is about.

The LR RWDs were a cool option and I wish they were still around. It should just be base, LR RWD, AWD, P. Not sure what the whole SR, SR+ is about.

Our first one was an SR+. 9 days after delivery white was free, and it was $2500 cheaper for the same thing. LR RWD was available at the time. I just had no idea how great these cars were and I wasn’t willing to spend the money. Now we have two.

SR is a great entry level vehicle at the price point. I’d like it to stay around, unless they bring back LR RWD.

Like a few other P3D- have said, I am happy to have gotten it. I use the acceleration (up to speed limit) all the time. It's just too fun.

Having said that though, I was having fun in my MR until I replaced it. The acceleration wasn't anything like my P3D- nor like the AWS one, but it was still fun. So I don't think anyone should regret it, all the models (even the SR) are just such a blast to drive.

One interesting side note, from changing my insurance with geico from my 2018 MR to 2019 P3D-, my insurance went down by $6 each month. lol, makes no sense but I'll take it.