Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Gets the S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While talking to a Model S couple the other night, it was very funny to hear how they decided who would get to drive the S. They decided that whomever would be driving the FARTHEST would get to drive the car. My friend said, "I told my husband I needed the car and he asked where I was going? He never asks me where I'm going. Why is he asking me so many questions, when it occurred to me, it wasn't about me, it was about the car."

Tesla changes the paradigm again!

My dear and wonderful wife said when I told her that we had an X reservation in addition to the S... "but I love my (Acura) MDX!". The Model S arrived last Tuesday... she hasn't mentioned the MDX since... nor driven it. Yeah, the S is all that!

steve

This is why I made a Model X reservation as soon as I was able to. Even though I made the S reservation I've started to hear some rumblings about how there will be days when she needs to drive it if she's got a lot of errands, the kids have lots of things to do that day, etc and it would make a lot of sense for her to drive the Model S. She's right, of course, but I'm not going to be happy about it.

My wife and I take turns buying new cars. She bought her Audi A4 couple of years ago and I am getting my Model S in the next 2 months. She loves her Audi and i dont get to drive it. :) However, I am really nervous about her next car as she has been eyeing the Audi R8. Maybe after she drives the Model S, she decides to get one or the Model X. She is not getting mine, not after I have waited for 3 years :)

That's how my wife and I decide who gets the Model S--whoever is driving the farthest. That's because it's the most fun, nicest to drive, least expensive to operate, and greenest (probably in that order). It really has turned range anxiety on it's head when that becomes the criteria for who gets to drive the EV.

Fortunately, my wife clings to a little bit of technology anxiety, and lacks a bit of confidence around new technology. Do I promote that anxiety...I hope not, but in this case I'm not working particularly hard to mitigate it!

She's a good woman, mine. She really understands when stuff like this is important to me, and I am due for a new vehicle (Prius 9+ years old with ~134k miles), so this is kind of a "no brainer" for who's car this is. But I am a bit nervous that she's going to fall in love with it.

On my side of things, she doesn't really like low riding and wide/long cars because of parking, so I think she'll not want to drive it places where she'll have to park in tight spots.

Fortunately, my wife clings to a little bit of technology anxiety, and lacks a bit of confidence around new technology. Do I promote that anxiety...I hope not, but in this case I'm not working particularly hard to mitigate it!

She's a good woman, mine. She really understands when stuff like this is important to me, and I am due for a new vehicle (Prius 9+ years old with ~134k miles), so this is kind of a "no brainer" for who's car this is. But I am a bit nervous that she's going to fall in love with it.

On my side of things, she doesn't really like low riding and wide/long cars because of parking, so I think she'll not want to drive it places where she'll have to park in tight spots.

Hopefully there will be the luxury version of the GenIII, in addition to the basic model. Small car, detailed beautifully, all electric.

My wife understands that the Model S is mine, and she looks forward to getting her Model X the following year. She is a little nervous round new tech (she is still leery of the Nest thermostats in our house) but with a year of demonstrations and seeing how the charging process works out, she should be ready when the X arrives (#1891).

Hopefully there will be the luxury version of the GenIII, in addition to the basic model. Small car, detailed beautifully, all electric.

Ehum, we're still talking about Tesla here, right? I'll bet my last dollar that there will be a Limited Premium Signature Sports Performance Edition available at day one, in limited Signature Lavender for the first 1000... oh wait, Canada... 1200 only. :)