Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has disabled auto-present?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our car is still new to us and we’re slowly becoming familiar with some of its unique features. My wife wants me to disable auto-present. As cool as it is when I’m actually approaching the car to drive it, I also find it annoying when I’m innocently walking near the car with no intention of getting in and the door persistently pops open. It’s not too bad if you’re coming at it from the front. But walking alongside the car from the rear, I’ve been “surprised” more than a few times by having the door smack me in the side (as it opens wider when approaching from the rear). I’m sure I’ll get used to it in time. But my wife isn’t a fan.

Who has disabled this feature and, if so, why did you do it?

When first looking at the model X, I thought auto present was just gimmicky and that I would immediately disable it. Instead I have found it very practical and is one of the things that I love. But that is for a legacy X that only operates from a key fob. The only time I have the key fob on me is when I’m going to drive it. For the refreshed X with phone as key, I see the problem. I am often around the car with my phone and I wouldn’t want it opening all the time when I go near in the garage. Is there the capability to disable the auto present just at home? I too am interested on how anyone is solving this issue.

Our car is still new to us and we’re slowly becoming familiar with some of its unique features. My wife wants me to disable auto-present. As cool as it is when I’m actually approaching the car to drive it, I also find it annoying when I’m innocently walking near the car with no intention of getting in and the door persistently pops open. It’s not too bad if you’re coming at it from the front. But walking alongside the car from the rear, I’ve been “surprised” more than a few times by having the door smack me in the side (as it opens wider when approaching from the rear). I’m sure I’ll get used to it in time. But my wife isn’t a fan.

Who has disabled this feature and, if so, why did you do it?
This is why.

I wish it has function to exclude home for auto door.

This feature isn’t for everyone. If you don’t find it helpful most of the time, you should just disable it. I’ve had it since my 2016 Model X and after few days I disabled it and never used it again after it kept hitting my kid when we both approach the door with her in front. I never enabled it on my 2022 X either.

When first looking at the model X, I thought auto present was just gimmicky and that I would immediately disable it. Instead I have found it very practical and is one of the things that I love. But that is for a legacy X that only operates from a key fob. The only time I have the key fob on me is when I’m going to drive it. For the refreshed X with phone as key, I see the problem. I am often around the car with my phone and I wouldn’t want it opening all the time when I go near in the garage. Is there the capability to disable the auto present just at home? I too am interested on how anyone is solving this issue.
We can ask Tesla via email to have the option to Exclude Home/Favorites/Location for Auto Door.
Screenshot_20221014_052524.jpg

Reactions: Bigriver
I turned it off in my 2018 X on day 2, and never turned it on in my 2022 X. It is a nice party trick, but as you point out has a lot of issues.

With that said I love the doors opening as far as possible when I push the handle and closing when you just get the door to the 1st catch. Having to manually open or close doors all the way is so pedestrian! The only downside is you get used to it and expect every car to do the same. Numerous times I have come back to another car and found the door were pushed shut, but still partially open.

I tried it once during a test drive, immediately realized how stupid it is to have the door open every time you walk near it with the key, turned it off on delivery day, and left it off. I suppose if you only have one car, and the fob only ever gets close to the car when you're about to drive it, and you never park it anywhere it's windy, or rainy, or you never put anything or anyone in the back seat before getting in the front, or you never park somewhere sketchy, or you only have one functional arm, it's a great feature. I love the powered doors, very handy. I do not want a door open until I affirmatively command it to open. I can't imagine how infuriating that would be with the phone as a key. And I cannot fathom how Cybertruck can possibly be any better with purportedly no door buttons *at all*. It's enough to make you reconsider your $100 order fee lol

Starting a timer to collect data on how long from anything but a positive comment it takes for the PSHAW JUST SELL YOUR CAR comments to start

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jboy210
I don't believe there is a way to disable the auto-present feature itself. At least, not in the legacy models.

IIRC, there are two features that work together to cause the door to "auto-present":
1) Automatic Doors - The driver door opens automaticallyupon your approach if it is unlocked when this is enabled. When disabling this, it is no longer possible to use the fob to open the door, you have to touch that button on the door, and you'd better bet you're either smudging it or dirtying your hand in the process.
2) Passive Entry - The vehicle automtically unlocks when your presence is detected. This is a common feature that makes modern vehicles potentially vulnerable to repeater attacks (and if you have it set to unlock all doors at once, potentially other even less likely personal safety attacks).

Personally, I disabled Passive Entry. Doing that to prevent theft is much more convenienti than PIN to drive. Also, if like some other posters in this thread, you want to command the door to open, why not have it open when you command it to unlock instead of having it unlock automatically?

The only caveat is that when you open a facon wing, the door will unlock, so you can experience an unexpected automatic opening sometimes until you train yourself for that scenario. If parallel parked, I make it a point to wait until there is no traffic before getting anywhere near the trigger point and/or I hurry to catch it before it can be a problem. As parallel parking is uncommon for me, this seems like a worthwhile tradeoff.