Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Performance Model 3, just put on 18” XIce3. They fit fine, but man they are so loud inside when I drive plus regen is barely there. I see that once the temps drop, I should be fine for regen but the noise of the tires turning is so loud

@Iwantmy3 do you have regen dots with those tires? I just swapped to the xice3 and always have regen dots though I still get enough regen, is that normal?
I have regen dots when the battery is cold. That is normal. When the battery is warm after charging, a long drive, or a warm day, then the regen dots disappear. The tires have not had any impact on regen.

Reactions: Cripps and Tz00
@Iwantmy3 do you have regen dots with those tires? I just swapped to the xice3 and always have regen dots though I still get enough regen, is that normal?

Regen dots are entirely based on the battery temperature (and state of charge) and not based on the tires. You can see this since the car will show the dots as soon as you step on the brakes/and or shift into drive, before the car senses anything about the tires.

The bug that happened last winter (which has since been fixed) was that people didn't have regen (regen cut out) even if/when there were no dots based on what tires they had.

Our Central Valley of California MXM4s will probably need replacing by summer or so at about 50K km. I was just going to buy more of the same, figuring Tesla knew what they were doing. But we may be moving to someplace where winter driving is more of a thing during the lifespan of our next tires, so I'm interested to follow your experience on the Cross Climate+ through this winter! And some time back I came across this chart, which rates them super highly:
https://external-preview.redd.it/_U...bp&s=a13d904bdc620478c09dfd78e76bcd82ed46cc3a
Yesterday I had my first chance to test these tires on snow and ice. We had a substantial fall snowstorm that melted on the warm pavement and then froze into ice (particularly on untreated back roads). I had no problems getting traction on the ice and driving though the snow. My old MXM4s would have been hopeless. I don't know how to compare these to dedicated snow tire alternatives since I have not had any on this car. However, I was very happy yesterday with their performance on the ice ans snow.

The car learns and adapts to the rubber. It can notice the additional flex in the large squishy tread blocks on winter tires. Nothing out of the ordinary, it will adjust and adapt.

I'm hoping you are right. I will report back in a couple of days to give feedback. At the moment, my regen is nearly non existent with all other conditions being the same. I'm using brand new Hakka 9 studded on a Model 3 RWD SR+. I thought the culprit was the latest software update, but if it's just the tire change then fine.

Regen dots are entirely based on the battery temperature (and state of charge) and not based on the tires. You can see this since the car will show the dots as soon as you step on the brakes/and or shift into drive, before the car senses anything about the tires.

The bug that happened last winter (which has since been fixed) was that people didn't have regen (regen cut out) even if/when there were no dots based on what tires they had.

It's my first winter with the M3, but I am experiencing everything that was described in last year's issue with winter tires.

Is it confirmed by Tesla that the fix implemented last year means that the car needs time to adjust before regen is back to normal ?

It's my first winter with the M3, but I am experiencing everything that was described in last year's issue with winter tires.

Is it confirmed by Tesla that the fix implemented last year means that the car needs time to adjust before regen is back to normal ?
I'm not 100% sure of that, but I think I've read of a few forum members claiming such a thing happend. That they lost regen and it came back eventually. Don't know if that is placebo due to regen dots though.

Regen is lost temporarily after a tire changeover. It takes a short drive for about 10 minutes to calibrate (and from what I've seen, getting in and out of the car) until it's fully done. Best things to do is to switch the display to show the vehicle status (it'll show tire pressure) and watch the status of the battery pack. When the tire pressure registers and if the pack isn't cold regen should return.

This was the case last winter. Later updates fixed the drastic loss of regen some of us experienced. I was one of them who experienced this. This winter there is slight loss in regen, but it's normal with colder conditions. Last year it felt like you were coasting instead of regenerating from speeds above 90kmh

I'm hoping you are right. I will report back in a couple of days to give feedback. At the moment, my regen is nearly non existent with all other conditions being the same. I'm using brand new Hakka 9 studded on a Model 3 RWD SR+. I thought the culprit was the latest software update, but if it's just the tire change then fine.

Mine never came back with those tires. Drove over 600Km and nothing. Went back to Kal-Tire and they switched me to R3's and regen was back within 20 minutes. Read my previous posts.

Mine never came back with those tires. Drove over 600Km and nothing. Went back to Kal-Tire and they switched me to R3's and regen was back within 20 minutes. Read my previous posts.

Yeah ok, it's been 3 days now for me with about 200km. In my area it seems they never heard of road salt and so we spend all winter on pure smooth ice. I really need those tires, so I'll say goodbye to regen for 5 months per year. :-(

Butt dyno or actual data?

Because this data shows that they're the same down to 20mph and then hold is stronger:

Model 3 AWD tested from 100-0 km/h - Roll Mode vs. Hold Mode : teslamotors

I just find an opportunity to quickly put the car in park so I can switch modes a couple times on the same drive with all other variables being the same and on my M3 RWD SR+ the difference is very noticeable. The issue for me is that I also switched to winter tires so it might not be the new drive mode alone that is causing this, but a combination.

Reactions: bijan
I just find an opportunity to quickly put the car in park so I can switch modes a couple times on the same drive with all other variables being the same and on my M3 RWD SR+ the difference is very noticeable. The issue for me is that I also switched to winter tires so it might not be the new drive mode alone that is causing this, but a combination.

Has regen come back for you yet?