Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not so strange as the lost of regen (with winter tires) is completely independent of the temperature and the batery state.
Like others I have experienced the lost of regen with relatively high temperatures (arround 10C and hot battery) and in the 1/2 hour necessary to change the tires the regen has disapeared... Like some others I have RWD, XIce3, aftermarket rims and aftermarket TPMS.
I have called the services in Montréal and they didn't know (in fact the guy at the phone) that there was a lost of regen with wintertire ;(
They also seem to look only at the Tesla Forum (which is not so well designed as no research on the forum is possible) so I tell them to come see this forum ;)

I brought it up to the ranger that came to my house and he said that the issue lies with how the car senses what the wheels are doing vs what the tires are doing. Basically winter tires are softer and they move differently vs the stock all seasons which are much harder and responsive to regen.

I'm guessing this is a software issue with how the car is over compensating for the softer rubber, but who knows. That's what the guy told me. I noticed the new 44.1 update "helped" but it's still not the same.

I'm running Replikas with X-ices. I've driven well over 2000 miles on them and can confirm the regen still isn't the same as having the all seasons it came with. I'd take the feedback with the ranger with a grain of salt, but it seems to make the most sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
I've noticed that since 44.1 the regen feels better. I'm running stock aero rims with Contis.

There is a bit of regen at speeds of 50-70 km/h, unlike with 39.x to 42.x, but it's still not slowing down as steadily as it did with all-season tires. Haven't tested at highway speeds. We'll see how the regen fairs today in the GTA with the temps rising to 11C - could get worse again...

Theoretically the winter tires will be providing more grip now so should be experiencing better regen. I’m now wondering if it’s a algorithm from calendar, ambient temperature and speed. I have no luxuries like that and to be honest full regen on winter tires on slippery roads is no fun, I wonder if it’s a safety thing to stop the tears locking up causing no regen at higher speeds making the braking more predictable. Has anyone put a sniffer on the can bus to actually see what’s happening rather than just guessing
I agree with your theory about the safety factor. I made a post a few pages ago where I showed that even at < 30km/h where 'full' regen still works normally, you lose it in slipper conditions like in the snow. To me this points to it being a safety thing and the car detects the smallest amount of slippage and is being overly cautious....especially with a RWD if you are coming around a turn and pull your foot off the gas too quickly you'll wipe out quite quickly....just like making a handbrake turn in the snow in an empty parking lot, which I used to do....a lot of...in high school :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12
I find it strange that no one has indicated if they are getting limited regen (aka regen dots) in the colder weather. If my car is sitting outside not charging in 7 degree Celsius Vancouver weather, my display indicates that half of my regen is available (i.e. lots of dots). With half regen available, you basically coast at above 50kph and then you feel the regen kicking in. In the morning after a fresh charge in 3 degree weather I nearly have full regen available and regen acts more normal at higher speeds.

You guys out east have much colder weather and I can imagine it's affecting the available regen (regardless of snow tires) more so than out west.
People have indicated the regen dot thing, but also that this issue happens without the regen dots showing. Ie, the car doesn't notify you.

On that note though, I do feel like I'm getting the car 'reduced regen' pop up happening sooner now on 44.1 (ie, when the dots are under the 'D' for drive)....before it wouldn't do that. Its not related to the issue being discussed here, but still a change I feel like Tesla made in 44.1.

I've noticed that since 44.1 the regen feels better. I'm running stock aero rims with Contis.

There is a bit of regen at speeds of 50-70 km/h, unlike with 39.x to 42.x, but it's still not slowing down as steadily as it did with all-season tires. Haven't tested at highway speeds. We'll see how the regen fairs today in the GTA with the temps rising to 11C - could get worse again...
I plan on doing some more of the g force measurements I did on my car with OEM tires, and winter tires directly after swap. I have been waiting to drive ~ 500-1000km before doing another measurement/data point but because I dont charge at home every night I have the regen dots. Probably thursday I'll charge to 90% and do a measurement with no regen dots + with 1000km on winter tires + 44.1. If there is a difference I'll be able to measure it and report back here....stay tuned....

I don’t think anyone with AWD is surrering. It seems be be isolated to RWD models.
facepalm-deja-q.jpg

Make a poll if AWD or RWD has regen issues with snow tires and include if stock TPMS are used and if Tesla installed the tires. Maybe they do something to the system when it’s changed. I don’t with AWD, stock wheels/tpms and Tesla installed.
My Nokians were mounted on new Tesla Aeros with stock TPMS by a tire shop. (Not Tesla). I do all my own rotations and seasonal changeovers myself. No regen issues and Tesla service isn’t part of the equation.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
I find it strange that no one has indicated if they are getting limited regen (aka regen dots) in the colder weather.

Well, here's one mention regarding my LR RWD M3:
The car is stored in a garage, which is not heated. As the outside temps here in SW Ontario have been well below freezing for days now, the typical temperature in my garage is 4 deg C when I start out in the morning. The first message that comes up on the screen when I put the car in Drive, even before I have moved an inch is: "Limited Regen Available". Sure enough, throughout my drive thereafter, the regen is not as strong as it used to be in the summer, particularly at higher speeds. Based on this notification on the screen, the reduced regen is purely due to the colder temperatures and nothing to do with my tires as it comes up before the car has been driven off. However, that does not mean that other tire-related factors are not at play here - they may very well be, just as freezing temperatures are.

I will add to the conspiracy here. When I installed my winter tires this past weekend, I had to drive 50kms to a shop in Sauga. The temperature last Saturday was around 2C. Had no regen issues leading up to that point, and was on stock Michelins and Aero wheels.

After the install I had to drive back another 50kms and as soon as I was above 100km/h, I noticed a loss in regen. Anything below 50km/h regen was still there. There wasn't any limited regen warnings, or dots as the car was warm and in a garage during the tire swap. I was back on the road within 2 hours...temperature was the same outside.

So the only variable that changed was switching my stock rims and tires to winter tires and rims.
- Same distance traveled
- Temperature was the same
- No Limited regen warnings
- Car was on the move in around 2 hours
- My M3 is an AWD

Some food for thought...

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
More data from my AWD. Parked outside last night with low-ish battery level. This morning had full regen dots, no regen at all, and limited propulsion/acceleration dots too. Drove and charged enough that had no dots and there is definitely regen up to at least 145 km/h. Might be less than without winter tires, can't say for sure, but definitely more than when full dots were there. From 110 km/h or so letting go of accelerator with full dots would go down 1-2 km/h per second, vs maybe 5-10km/h per second with no regen dots.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
More data from my AWD. Parked outside last night with low-ish battery level. This morning had full regen dots, no regen at all, and limited propulsion/acceleration dots too. Drove and charged enough that had no dots and there is definitely regen up to at least 145 km/h. Might be less than without winter tires, can't say for sure, but definitely more than when full dots were there. From 110 km/h or so letting go of accelerator with full dots would go down 1-2 km/h per second, vs maybe 5-10km/h per second with no regen dots.
I had the same situation this morning. After a few miles on the highway I started to have dots disappear as it warmed. No issue.

AD771FBA-5A19-4017-B287-500F60B53FC6.jpeg