Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After several days with it, at various outside temperatures, I can report that I still see the same lack of regen with 48.12 and X-Ice tires. It may be a little smoother when regen kicks back in around 20mph, but no improvement at high speeds.

Reactions: PlasmaRitual
Late to this thread - Sorry. Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but shouldn't regen be turned low in winter conditions anyways? Also, isn't regen limited in cold weather as well?

Warning: In snowy or icy conditions Model 3 may experience traction loss during regenerative braking, particularly when in the Standard setting and/or not using winter tires. Tesla recommends using the Low setting (see To Set the Regenerative Braking Level on page 55) in snowy or icy conditions to help maintain vehicle stability.

Late to this thread - Sorry. Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but shouldn't regen be turned low in winter conditions anyways? Also, isn't regen limited in cold weather as well?

Warning: In snowy or icy conditions Model 3 may experience traction loss during regenerative braking, particularly when in the Standard setting and/or not using winter tires. Tesla recommends using the Low setting (see To Set the Regenerative Braking Level on page 55) in snowy or icy conditions to help maintain vehicle stability.

If you’re driving in actual snowy/icy conditions you should set the car to low regen and chill mode. But for the majority of the winter (for most of us), roads are clear and using standard settings is fine. The car should automatically limit regen if you do hit a slippery patch. This regen issue is actually caused by the car being oversensative to wheel slip (it thinks tire squirm is wheel slip).

• Informative
Reactions: PlasmaRitual
Can’t believe this issue is still not fixed with so many people now actually using snow tires.

I have x-ice on 18” Aeros and I fear driving the car now. It’s impossible to slow down normally when the regen is intermittent.

If you haven’t yet reported the issue to Tesla, do so with the steps below. Have to keep up the pressure in them!

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Request Help
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

Just drove 400 miles with my X-Ice tires and had gotten 2018.50 right before leaving. Regen is significantly better and more predictable, especially at highway speeds. You can see it still pulling back a little bit, however its much less than before. Made driving much easier.

The issue seems like it's been fixed for me on 2018.50... but I've only gone on a few relatively short drives since I got it. It's a huge improvement, even if it's not fixed completely as someone above suggests.

Does 2018.50 mention anything in the release notes related to regen improvements/stability? I'm still on 48.12, so hoping to get a software update imminently. In the past I've gotten them very quickly, typically on the first day others get them, but it seems I'm a couple versions behind now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trevlan006
Adding myself to this thread. Just had Blizzaks put on my mid-range and didn't have regen on way home. Noticed it improved when I pulled off the freeway (below 30 mph?). Called the service center and was told it was due to not using a Tesla approved winter tire and they were too busy to talk via phone so to put in a ticket. So now I'm trying to decide if I should return the tires for the Sottozeros if that's even possible or live with it and hope that the regen kicks in at some point.

Adding myself to this thread. Just had Blizzaks put on my mid-range and didn't have regen on way home. Noticed it improved when I pulled off the freeway (below 30 mph?). Called the service center and was told it was due to not using a Tesla approved winter tire and they were too busy to talk via phone so to put in a ticket. So now I'm trying to decide if I should return the tires for the Sottozeros if that's even possible or live with it and hope that the regen kicks in at some point.
Keep the tires you have, there’s no gaurantee the Sottozeros will be any better. File that ticket, and your car should gradually learn the tires you have.

Keep the tires you have, there’s no gaurantee the Sottozeros will be any better. File that ticket, and your car should gradually learn the tires you have.

The car doesn't 'learn' the tires. Sorry. The issue is that the regen functionality is broken with winter tires. Some forum posts indicate it has improved with firmware 2018.50. There was some improvement with 2018.49 at low speeds.