Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding myself to this thread. Just had Blizzaks put on my mid-range and didn't have regen on way home. Noticed it improved when I pulled off the freeway (below 30 mph?). Called the service center and was told it was due to not using a Tesla approved winter tire and they were too busy to talk via phone so to put in a ticket. So now I'm trying to decide if I should return the tires for the Sottozeros if that's even possible or live with it and hope that the regen kicks in at some point.

I have v2018.50 on my car, which has fixed the regen issue for me. Tesla seems to have stopped rolling that version. But, hopefully the next version that gets pushed will fix this for you. Hang in there!

Adding myself to this thread. Just had Blizzaks put on my mid-range and didn't have regen on way home. Noticed it improved when I pulled off the freeway (below 30 mph?). Called the service center and was told it was due to not using a Tesla approved winter tire and they were too busy to talk via phone so to put in a ticket. So now I'm trying to decide if I should return the tires for the Sottozeros if that's even possible or live with it and hope that the regen kicks in at some point.

I had same issue with the Sottozeros. The SC comment about non approved is not valid. Valid as in it is the policy, but not valid in the occurrence that RWD cars are having even with Tesla approved tires. I had posted the email from executive review that they are aware of it. My local SC was not aware of the issue as an FYI.

Returning tires? Can that be done after mounting?

Seems to be sporadic - my Sottos from the Tesla package are fine. Though if it's not the car "learning" about the new tires (which I thought was a possibility since my regen was gone then suddenly came back shortly after), then it must be the newer firmware that was sent out after I got the Tesla package installed?

The car doesn't 'learn' the tires. Sorry. The issue is that the regen functionality is broken with winter tires. Some forum posts indicate it has improved with firmware 2018.50. There was some improvement with 2018.49 at low speeds.
Back a few pages that was stated as the reasoning this was happening. *shrug*
The traction controller needed to ‘learn’ the tires and traction in winter to return to proper regen action. Whether this is by software writes or adjustements was unclear.

I have no dog in this fight, I’m just providing my opinion based on what I’ve read in this thread and elsewhere.

Back a few pages that was stated as the reasoning this was happening. *shrug*
The traction controller needed to ‘learn’ the tires and traction in winter to return to proper regen action. Whether this is by software writes or adjustements was unclear.

I have no dog in this fight, I’m just providing my opinion based on what I’ve read in this thread and elsewhere.

Currently have over 3000 km on my winter tires. No such learning and happened and I still don't have highspeed regen. Regen got a bit better with 2018.49.x at low speeds (city speeds) but no difference noticeable at highway speeds.

Just installed 18inch Tesla S style rims on my 3 with conti SI 225/45 and same here no Regen till below 50 and much better below 30 but not all the time.
The car will not learn the new tires never had to learn the all season it came with so don’t even expect this.
Note I am on 49.12.1 software
I tried Regen to low and then back and nothing.
Here’s hoping version 50 will do the trick as others have reported.

Reactions: richyrich
I want to add. It is almost like these tires actually have zero grip.
It’s kind of scary.
Even from launch zero to 60-70 the whole time the anti slip is going crazy.
Not liking this at all.
Car is also pretty squirrelly on the highway just 105 autopilot

It’s kind of scary.
Not liking this at all.
I've got the same tires (on stock aero rims), but haven't had any issue with grip or launch. How can you tell the anti slip is going crazy? Maybe I'm just not noticing it? But I certainly haven't noticed the tires having an issue with grip going around corners. I came from X-Ice 3's on my past 2 Volt's, and the conti's feel pretty much the same to me, though admittedly we haven't had enough snow to really test them in all conditions yet.

Are you sure the rims are properly balanced and installed? All lugs torqued properly? Almost sounds like that might have something to do with it...just guessing....

It’s kind of scary.
Not liking this at all.

I have the Continental WinterContact SI’s in 235/45r18 and my experience is totally different from yours. Car drives fine, even in the snow we recently had in GTA. The tires feel a bit more squishy compared to the stock all seasons but that’s to be expected given the winter rubber compound. I have not had any issues with “zero grip”, “anti slip going crazy” or “squirrelly” behaviour on the highway. Sounds like you may have some other issue?

The anti slip “yellow icon” I guess a better word is traction control. Punching the car it pretty much is on the whole zero to 50-60.
The place I get my tires done are very reputable and I have used them for many years. They only do high end cars.

It feels like I am hydroplaning probably the best way to explain it. I will do some test tomorrow when the roads are not as moist/wet like today.

The anti slip “yellow icon” I guess a better word is traction control. Punching the car it pretty much is on the whole zero to 50-60.
The place I get my tires done are very reputable and I have used them for many years. They only do high end cars.

It feels like I am hydroplaning probably the best way to explain it. I will do some test tomorrow when the roads are not as moist/wet like today.

If they're directional tires make sure they put them on pointing the right direction. Also check the tire pressure (too high maybe?)