Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has the current highest pack energy density in production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pack energy density is a poorly defined term.

Some cells include fuses, other do not. Some cells have strong shields, others have cells with weaker shields and stronger pack enclosures.
Some packs include liquid cooling, others do not, some packs are structural members (and are hence stronger and heavier), others are not and are thus lighter.

It boils down to pack energy density being a nonsense term.
What it matters is car range, price, capacity degradation, pack safety etc.
Unfortunately these cannot be expressed with a single number, so people tend to use meaningless numbers like pack energy density.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
pretty much all packs are structural, if the NVH eigenvalues change significantly *and they do, then the packs are structural.

but some include greater armouring, some require cooling, etc etc

"Require" is not the same as "include".
Leaf pretty much requires (active / liquid) cooling but is not included. None require heating in Florida, but some still include it.
These are engineering decisions that influence the quality, price etc of the car but also its battery pack energy density.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Yeah thanks for pointing this out but I just need a quoted number. I'm aware of the implications of the pack being structural, auxiliary systems etc.

OK attempting to answer this myself.

The 85 kWh pack was 544 kg for 7104 cells ( Tesla Model S ) and if the cells were 46g each it means the cells are 327 kg of the total.

It was reported that the 90 kWh pack's cells are 48 g each (source?) giving 341 kg total.

So we have 14 kg difference. Added to the 45 kg difference between the P90D and P100D shown in the manual means the 100 kWh weighs 59 kg extra over the 85 kWh pack.

wk057's teardown found the pack has 102400 Wh, so with 603 kg that's 169.8 Wh/kg.

The accuracy of this estimate depends on the exact cell weight of course. One other issue is that the mass of the 85 kWh pack quoted on that site above references wikipedia, which then just has a circular reference back to the same site.

Last edited:
Alta uses 18650s from one of the major suppliers, nothing particularly unusual. They haven't talked about the chemistry but I think it's pretty safe to assume it's either NCA or NCM. The pack weight is from using cells with similar energy density as Tesla's -- perhaps slightly less, even -- and designing a very light pack. The cooling is passive. See US patent: Patent US20140234686 - Thermal Interface and Thermal Management System for Battery Cells

• Informative
Reactions: dpeilow
The pack is air-cooled, and because high-draw events (i.e., a 20 to 30 minute motocross heat) will be relatively short, the cooling and thermal mass of the pack will get them through the event. Motocross racing actually has a small percentage of time spent at WOT (wide-open-throttle), say 1 to 5 percent compared to 30 to 50 percent on a road race course, which makes their life easier -- but cooling is much less efficient at the lower speeds in motocross. In most trail riding, where Alta claims 2 hours of riding time, the current draws are even less, and cooling shouldn't be an issue.

The 100 kWh pack is slightly more energy dense and the best I have ever seen is the air cooled pack from the Alta Motors motorcycle with 5.8 kWh in 30.8 kg.

upload_2020-4-6_13-34-40.png

However hopefully we are close to "Battery Day" and we may hear about some developments that eclipse this.