Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who here has actually bought/will actually buy a Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are most of you guys on the waiting list as well?

Unfortunately not for me at the moment. Most of the most frequent posters here are not, but some "owners to be" do frequent this forum from time to time. This is more of a "fan forum" than an "owners forum", but the fans certainly welcome the owners here!

This is more of a "fan forum" than an "owners forum", but the fans certainly welcome the owners here!

Thanks for the warm welcome, TEG!

The thing is, despite Finkenbusch's claims, this site is far from being a rabid fanboy site. I read the posts here and post myself because most of the participants here are pretty rational and thoughtful. The Tesla Roadster is not the perfect personal transportation vehicle. No one here thinks it is. Seeing it for a decently good BEV, discussing it's features and failings, comparing and contrasting it to other vehicles, and discussing the general state of EV technology, is what keeps me coming back here.

The thing is, despite Finkenbusch's claims, this site is far from being a rabid fanboy site. I read the posts here and post myself because most of the participants here are pretty rational and thoughtful. The Tesla Roadster is not the perfect personal transportation vehicle.

Whaddya mean! Of COURSE the Roadster is perfect. Couldn't be better! It's got this incredible revolutionary battery, also it has......

Uhm, excuse me for a minute, I seem to be foaming a bit from my mouth for some reason, so let me go take care of that and I'lll be back...:rolleyes:

Anyway, my Roadster # is in the low 800's, so I'm still probably about a year from taking delivery, but I'm still very excited about it. Are most of you guys on the waiting list as well?

Like TEG, I'm not on the waiting list either, but I do hope to be a future Tesla owner (probably Model 3 :wink:).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I feel better now.

Seriously now, let me just conclude by agreeing that of course the Roadster isn't perfect. We'd all like to see better range, there certainly have been no shortage of production delays, and there are countless other real or imagined issues that some like to raise (ad nauseum).

But before this car came along (let me be more specific, before Martin had his vision then delivered on it), electric cars were either ugly, had limited range, or for whatever reason just weren't at all interesting to me and I think to the vast majority of others. And if you were in the market for a sports car a year or two ago, well, there just wasn't anything other than an ICE car that you could consider. Warts and all, if you can't see what a revolutionary development the Roadster has been, you are clueless.

Not foaming at the mouth I hope, just being a fan.

[Moderator's note: This post a several around it were moved from the differential thread. Please excuse the few remaining non sequitur references to the topic of that thread. Feel free to edit your own posts for clarity.]

Last edited:
I agree with all that you said, Steve.

To me the most important (but not the only) thing about the Roadster, which you alluded to, is that Tesla was selling it. None of the infuriating leasing that GM et al did. And Tesla was selling it to anyone in the U.S., not just in California. That, along with the reasons you stated, is why I put a deposit down on a Roadster back in October 2006.

As you say, we've strayed far from the "differential" topic. Apologies, doug! Feel free to prune.

Most of the most frequent posters here are not, but some "owners to be" do frequent this forum from time to time. This is more of a "fan forum" than an "owners forum", but the fans certainly welcome the owners here!

There are several people who frequent here that have put down a deposit. And many many more owners-to-be who "lurk" more than post. Personally, I come here because over the past year I can usually get more up to date and technically detailed information than from the Owner's Forum. I do go there as well, but most of my questions go unanswered. Tesla the company seems to have less time on its hands to spend there then it used to.

Guys,

Thanks for answering my question about the 1/4 mile times and I too apologize for the thread hijacking. Graham makes a good point about the owners forum, sadly. I too come here to read more updated info on TM and the car.

I'm told I'll have my car in March of next year and will be happy to answer any and all questions I can after it arrives.

Thanks again for all the detailed info.

T

Last edited: